Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 01:35 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Houston now has the highest palm tree density in the US PTPSM - this should be a new CD City v City criteria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Houston now has the highest palm tree density in the US PTPSM - this should be a new CD City v City criteria
Houston haters making up **** I never said.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston haters making up **** I never said.
Actually I dont hate Houston at all, just find some of the banter quite comical

Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Dude how many times are you going to write the same s***?
I added some cities.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:53 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Houston even has palm trees planted in front of strip clubs, right next to churches. Right Matt?

Last edited by dalparadise; 07-26-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 04:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
I wrote the following in another thread, but it seems to be just as relevant here:

"There are some posters on here who are notorious for comparing Houston to LA and trying to make it seem like they are almost exactly alike or that Houston is a smaller version of LA. Sure they have similarities, but Houston is not a mini LA.

The flip side of that coin is that I strongly dis-agree that LA is not in the Sunbelt. For all intents and purposes, LA IS the sunbelt. LA is the model city for which all major sunbelt cities were designed after. You can take almost any other major Sunbelt city and trace the development back to LA. For example(s):

LA + Lafayette, LA = Houston
LA + Wichita, KS = Dallas
LA + Macon, GA = Atlanta
LA + Redlands, CA = Phoenix

Thats not to say any one of these cities is a mini-LA, they arent. But LA is very much a part of the sunbelt. I grew up there, and Ill be the first to tell you the difference between living in suburban LA vs. suburban-Sunbelt arent much. LA has its own distinct culture, demographics, worldwide recognition, and density that Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Phoenix do not have. The simiarlities are in the sprawl which LA very much wrote the book on. LA was the first major city that suburbia overcame. It just followed suit with Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Phoneix, and Vegas."

My point is there is a piece of LA in all these cities, but not one is a mini-LA.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:55 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I wrote the following in another thread, but it seems to be just as relevant here:

"There are some posters on here who are notorious for comparing Houston to LA and trying to make it seem like they are almost exactly alike or that Houston is a smaller version of LA. Sure they have similarities, but Houston is not a mini LA.

The flip side of that coin is that I strongly dis-agree that LA is not in the Sunbelt. For all intents and purposes, LA IS the sunbelt. LA is the model city for which all major sunbelt cities were designed after. You can take almost any other major Sunbelt city and trace the development back to LA. For example(s):

LA + Lafayette, LA = Houston
LA + Wichita, KS = Dallas
LA + Macon, GA = Atlanta
LA + Redlands, CA = Phoenix

Thats not to say any one of these cities is a mini-LA, they arent. But LA is very much a part of the sunbelt. I grew up there, and Ill be the first to tell you the difference between living in suburban LA vs. suburban-Sunbelt arent much. LA has its own distinct culture, demographics, worldwide recognition, and density that Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Phoenix do not have. The simiarlities are in the sprawl which LA very much wrote the book on. LA was the first major city that suburbia overcame. It just followed suit with Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Phoneix, and Vegas."

My point is there is a piece of LA in all these cities, but not one is a mini-LA.
This is a very reasonable and astute observation that will positively confuse and confound Matt to the point that he misinterprets it as support of his bizarre assertions about Houston.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:22 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
No, it isn't.

It's more like someone planted a few Washingtonia palms next to some shopping centers and freeway overpasses.

Considering Houston is close the coast it's going to have palm trees just like any other coastal area.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:27 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Considering Houston is close the coast it's going to have palm trees just like any other coastal area.
Yes, I love those palm trees on the coast of Maine.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:50 PM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Yes, I love those palm trees on the coast of Maine.
it freezes in Maine so palm trees wouldn't fare as well up there. They need warm coastal environments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.