Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 03:38 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,996 times

Advertisements

I don't think I can add to much to what has already been said or addressed. I think everyone has contributed some really valuable points. Here in Maryland today, it is 74 sunny and fairly low humidity, certainly comfortable for most folks, whether they be hot or cold freaks. However, taking my usual morning stroll I saw very few people out engaged running or walking, in fact it was just the same handful of faces I usually always see.

As a guy in my late 20's I notice that the majority of runners tend to be younger, and the walkers more middle-aged to older. Of course, this is to be expected. The problem is that I hate running and never really had the stamina to run for minutes on end. I can walk briskly for miles and miles and never break a sweat. However, I never seem to see any younger folks, like myself outside walking. Is walking, and enjoying the great outdoors not considered to be cool, or is it something that older folks just do? This correlation is noticeable on any urban boulevard or nature trail. Sometimes I can go hiking on a 75 degree weekend day and the only folks I see hiking are older folks. My point being, why aren't younger folks like myself walking more?

In addition, many people my age love to party. They stay up all hours of the night drinking empty calories, munching on junk food, sitting on their butts, and not getting enough quality hours of sleep. Others are so career focused that they have completely stressed themselves out that their physical health will almost certainly take a toll.

In general, I think a variety of socio-economic as well as cultural factors have contributed to the obesity epidemic here in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 03:39 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
I don't know why people are complaining the second everyone starts buying ''healthy food'' the second people see they can make more money. Then it is never ending monopoly of higher prices. I also don't think there should even be a universal ''Obesity Chart'' WTF, every one is far from the same shape. What about the big booty girls? They cant help it if they just hae more junk in the trunk...

Old 08-04-2013, 03:43 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I don't know why people are complaining the second everyone starts buying ''healthy food'' the second people see they can make more money. Then it is never ending monopoly of higher prices. I also don't think there should even be a universal ''Obesity Chart'' WTF, every one is far from the same shape. What about the big booty girls? They cant help it if they just hae more junk in the trunk...
I think its more of a problem if we are obsessed with OTHER peoples life.
My neighbor across the street is a pretty heavy set but she is still a cool person and her weight doesnt do anything to bother me at all.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:46 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
In a nation of abundance - people have taken to eating for pleasure. Americans are just spoiled...Animal fat has a lot of flavor and is rare in some parts of the world- here there is lots and the animal fat transfers form one animal to the human animal...Every bit you take is absorbed by the body...if you weigh 300 lbs- that excess weight was put on a little at a time - bite by bite by bite.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:14 PM

26 posts, read 55,733 times
Listen people, America IS the fattest nation on Earth. The obese population (which is really the only important factor when measuring a nations 'fatness', not including the overweight population because any man with a beach body can fall into the overweight category for example) in the United States is at 30%+. That is over 95 million people out of a population of 315 million. The reason so many Americans are obese is because many Americans have very poor diets. In the United States, the trend goes "the poorer you are, the fatter you are". Mississippi(the poorest state in America), for example, has the highest obesity rate in the United States. People who are poorer tend to fasten to less quality foods(i.e McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, and all of the other fast food restaurants that exist in virtually every corner). With that being said, obesity does exist in all of the other class levels as well. Another reason for obesity is that the American diet mainly consists of meat. The average American eats over 65 pounds of meat every year(over 20 billion pounds in total). Add to that the fact that Americans (outside of New York City) DRIVE everywhere. Americans drive their cars everywhere and don't walk anywhere. Depression is also another factor to this. As many of you may know, the way most depressed people cope with their depression is through eating. The United States also has a very strong alcohol drinking culture, which is also a major contributing factor to obesity among people who are of older age(the term "beer belly"). Another contributing factor to America's obesity comes from the fact that American's on average watch more television and spend more time on the computer then any other nation on Earth. Another contributing factor to obesity is the fact that American's don't work out ! Another contributing factor is that after a certain age, many American's don't care what they eat. Another contributing factor would also be a mutation in peoples genes and I can go on for another 20 minutes. It is just crazy to think that in 1990, the percentage of obese Americans was under 15%.

And for whoever is saying that the US is 18th in the obesity ranks, the other 17 are ISLAND NATIONS. The United States is a DEVELOPED COUNTRY WITH TENS OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE.

The United States, United Kingdom, Mexico, & Australia are some countries that need to work on their personal health.

*Obesity was recently labeled as a disease by the Department of Health*

Old 08-04-2013, 04:17 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Ironic- In America - poor people are fat- and rich people are not fat...Rich people have access to more interesting things than just eating.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:03 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Ironic- In America - poor people are fat- and rich people are not fat...Rich people have access to more interesting things than just eating.
No, I think rich people are not as fat because they are smarter than poor people.That's how they got rich in the first place.
Smarter people read about and understand the dangers of obesity.Dumb ones would appear to have less self-respect and saelf-awareness.
I also think it takes an effort to remain slim, either by watching what you eat or taking plenty of exercise.
Dumb people generally can't be bothered with anything remotely near hard work which is why they remain poor.And fat.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:48 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiancnv View Post
Listen people, America IS the fattest nation on Earth. The obese population (which is really the only important factor when measuring a nations 'fatness', not including the overweight population because any man with a beach body can fall into the overweight category for example) in the United States is at 30%+. That is over 95 million people out of a population of 315 million. The reason so many Americans are obese is because many Americans have very poor diets. In the United States, the trend goes "the poorer you are, the fatter you are". Mississippi(the poorest state in America), for example, has the highest obesity rate in the United States. People who are poorer tend to fasten to less quality foods(i.e McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, and all of the other fast food restaurants that exist in virtually every corner). With that being said, obesity does exist in all of the other class levels as well. Another reason for obesity is that the American diet mainly consists of meat. The average American eats over 65 pounds of meat every year(over 20 billion pounds in total). Add to that the fact that Americans (outside of New York City) DRIVE everywhere. Americans drive their cars everywhere and don't walk anywhere. Depression is also another factor to this. As many of you may know, the way most depressed people cope with their depression is through eating. The United States also has a very strong alcohol drinking culture, which is also a major contributing factor to obesity among people who are of older age(the term "beer belly"). Another contributing factor to America's obesity comes from the fact that American's on average watch more television and spend more time on the computer then any other nation on Earth. Another contributing factor to obesity is the fact that American's don't work out ! Another contributing factor is that after a certain age, many American's don't care what they eat. Another contributing factor would also be a mutation in peoples genes and I can go on for another 20 minutes. It is just crazy to think that in 1990, the percentage of obese Americans was under 15%.

And for whoever is saying that the US is 18th in the obesity ranks, the other 17 are ISLAND NATIONS. The United States is a DEVELOPED COUNTRY WITH TENS OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE.

The United States, United Kingdom, Mexico, & Australia are some countries that need to work on their personal health.

*Obesity was recently labeled as a disease by the Department of Health*
You forgot richest country on earth.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:13 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Sprawl, greasy food, poorer people, more black people (and before you all get started I'm black, I'm just saying statistically we're more obese especially the women).
Sprawl, and I will add that a side effect of it is that restaurants in the South are built in locations that are easier to access than in most other parts of the US. Since most of the residential areas in Southern cities grew up after the invention of the car instead of before as in a lot of the US restaurants are built in locations that are a lot easier to get to in your car than elsewhere. The restaurants could grow with the population whereas in cities that were already built up they had to just get wedged in where possible. This may sound silly, but the restaurants realize this as well. There's a reason Ray Kroc always told people he was in the real estate business and not the fast food business.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:36 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
You forgot richest country on earth.
For a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.