Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:09 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times

Advertisements

Does CA have any swamp areas, just curious and not having them to me doesnt change that CA, OR, WA are probably the most diverse (CA being most and also the largest)

One thing that much of CA does not have is natural water supplies (not all but much) esp natural sustainable water for the population to support. Now man has fixed this but is sort of ironic for such a diverse state to miss on a basic human need.

FTR - I love the geography and diversity of it on the west coast, really is pretty amazing (very few places match or surpass CA in this regard around the globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Does CA have any swamp areas, just curious and not having them to me doesnt change that CA, OR, WA are probably the most diverse (CA being most and also the largest)

One thing that much of CA does not have is natural water supplies (not all but much) esp natural sustainable water for the population to support. Now man has fixed this but is sort of ironic for such a diverse state to miss on a basic human need.

FTR - I love the geography and diversity of it on the west coast, really is pretty amazing (very few places match or surpass CA in this regard around the globe
CA does have a few isolated wetlands. The southern end of San Francisco Bay is one example. The Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta looks a lot like Louisiana, with levees everywhere... but nothing really resembling a classic Gulf Coast swamp.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:49 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:

Northern California, especially north of Sacramento, has plenty of water supplies in most years. You have plenty of runoff from the Sierra Nevada, Cascades, and northern Coast Ranges. You couldn't have the massive agricultural industry in California without that water(which is where most of the water is going to). It's Southern California that has the problem with water, that's why they had to transfer water originally from the Owens Valley in the Eastern Sierra and Northern California(see the classic movie Chinatown). That's why Southern California's massive population is in the long run a messy proposition. The whole area is massively overdeveloped, look at the mess that is the Inland Empire. You could lose over half to two-thirds of the current population of Southern California and it'd be a much nicer place with a much more sustainable economy.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
We can't change on what mother nature has gave us. You say that the Pacific NW is more diverse how so? again it is diverse, but IMO Texas is equally if not more diverse. In Texas you have mountains, hills, deserts, grasslands, prairies, swamps, timberlands.
Washington has all of that, plus glaciers, steppe, lava fields, fjords, active volcanoes, hot springs....

I don't think you comprehend all of the micro climates that the ocean and mountains create. With the prevailing ocean winds and the N-S alignment of the mountains, the three western states get both the wet and dry climates and a wide range of elevations.

Quote:
Plus in what other state can you go other than California where you can be in a stuck in a blizzard, then a few hrs away going swimming in 70F weather?
Washington and Oregon.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Washington has all of that, plus glaciers, steppe, lava fields, fjords, active volcanoes, hot springs....

I don't think you comprehend all of the micro climates that the ocean and mountains create. With the prevailing ocean winds and the N-S alignment of the mountains, the three western states get both the wet and dry climates and a wide range of elevations.

Washington and Oregon.
Does the water in WA an OR get above 70 degrees in the ocean?

Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Northern California, especially north of Sacramento, has plenty of water supplies in most years. You have plenty of runoff from the Sierra Nevada, Cascades, and northern Coast Ranges. You couldn't have the massive agricultural industry in California without that water(which is where most of the water is going to). It's Southern California that has the problem with water, that's why they had to transfer water originally from the Owens Valley in the Eastern Sierra and Northern California(see the classic movie Chinatown). That's why Southern California's massive population is in the long run a messy proposition. The whole area is massively overdeveloped, look at the mess that is the Inland Empire. You could lose over half to two-thirds of the current population of Southern California and it'd be a much nicer place with a much more sustainable economy.
unerstood and my point was more to where the population resides relative to the natually available water, again to me is just a little ironic given the overall diversity so-to-speak; more than half the population in an areas without a real sustainable natural water supply

Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
No, but it is over 70 degrees right now in the lakes. The lake I live by is around 80. Lake Washington along Seattle's eastern edge is closer to 70 right now.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 PM

484 posts, read 871,397 times
Quote:

There are tons of swamp areas in CA. Here's a list - California - Swamps

Ballona Wetlands in Marina del Rey is one of a few that sits in LA County.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:44 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,993 times
Quote:
No the waters off the west coast and the PNW are pretty chilly, that is why you don't see hurricanes along the west coast.

Besides that, we are talking about "geographic" diversity here. I don't think you can really argue that Texas is geologically diverse compared to pretty much every state along the west coast of the U.S.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:52 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:

Actually the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta is quite huge. And yes, that is a major source of water. It is a misnomer that CA doesn't have "natural water supplies". Actually they are completely natural, and except the Colorado River, all are sourced within California state borders.

The Sierra Nevada snowmelt. The water that LA gets from Mono Lake/Owens valley are fed through streams that run down the eastern Sierras. The Delta is fed through two rivers that flow through the central valleys. However, most of these wetlands have been drained and channelized as they've turned to farmland. Even the mountains north of LA, the San Gabriels, provide many communities such as Pasadena with about a third of the drinking water.

The snow that people ski on at Mammoth Lakes, Lake Tahoe, becomes their drinking and washing water down the watershed.

It is true that water resources are a major issue, but this is largely because of mismanagement, a desire to have lawns like back east (which is changing - many municipalities use gray water (wast water) to water parks/cemeteries/golf courses) and archaic water laws that are impossible to change because of lobbies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.