Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:21 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Where are the rainforests and glaciers in Texas? Does Texas have a volcano or a fjord? What about islands with mountains?
What about sea cliffs? Alpine lakes? 14,000-foot mountains? The world's hottest place? The world's tallest trees? The world's oldest trees? The ability to drive 20 miles and go from 55­Â°F to 95°F?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 12:24 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
What about sea cliffs? Alpine lakes? 14,000-foot mountains? The world's hottest place? The world's tallest trees? The world's oldest trees? The ability to drive 20 miles and go from 55*°F to 95°F?
Texas doesn't have lakes, let alone alpine ones.

OK, Texas does Caddo Lake, but when it comes to natural lakes, it is on the short end of the stick.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:14 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I always though the wheat fields of the Palouse was a remarkable area, adding to the diverse cornucopia of topographical features in Washington State.

Palouse wheatfield - YouTube

The Palouse region of Idaho is gorgeous. On a side note, Idaho is probably the most geographically diverse inland state in the West.

http://commerce.idaho.gov/assets/con...20panarama.jpg

http://www.latahrealty.com/Content/G...usePromise.jpg

Last edited by Syringaloid; 09-03-2013 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:

OK, Texas does Caddo Lake, but when it comes to natural lakes, it is on the short end of the stick.
Short end of the stick? What does that mean?

I love this lake. And obviously his comment was referring to California.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:37 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Short end of the stick? What does that mean?

I love this lake. And obviously his comment was referring to California.
Nice to look at, I wouldn't put my foot in that lake, let alone swim in it. Clear, clean alpine lakes are nicer.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Nice to look at, I wouldn't put my foot in that lake, let alone swim in it. Clear, clean alpine lakes are nicer.
I never argued which one is nicer. I was asking why does it meet the standards of short end of the stick? It's a different type of natural lake.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:24 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I never argued which one is nicer. I was asking why does it meet the standards of short end of the stick? It's a different type of natural lake.
Short end of the stick as in does not have many natural lakes, nor a wide diversity of them. Texas is not in the top half of states for natural lakes.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Wouldn't Texas be possible the least geographically diverse state?

I mean, it's HUGE, and not really that diverse. Most of Texas looks pretty similar, or you can at least divide it into arid, prairie, and piney woods areas.

California is small compared to Texas and like 100 times more diverse scenery. Or look at North Carolina, New York, or New Mexico. Pound-for-pound, those areas are much more diverse.
You're kidding, right?

Texas has seemingly endless prairies, green, rolling hills, craggy mountains, fertile valleys, forests of hardwoods and pines that stretch for miles, large rivers, natural lakes with haunting cyprus trees draped in spanish moss, a huge and varied coastline, deserts, you name it. Parts of Texas have fierce winters while other parts have very mild winters. Some parts are very humid while other parts are very arid.

I'm not saying that Texas is THE MOST DIVERSE but to try to paint it as the LEAST divers geographically is pretty ridiculous.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Short end of the stick as in does not have many natural lakes, nor a wide diversity of them. Texas is not in the top half of states for natural lakes.
Ok. I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were saying that Caddo Lake was the short end of the stick. I wish there were more caddo lakes in Texas but unfortunately you are correct. Most of Texas lakes are nothing more than man made reservoirs. Some of them are beautiful though such as Possum Kingdom Lake but nothing like the Fingerlakes in New York or any alpine lake.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
There is NOT any part of Texas that looks like this, not even close.
Oh really? Looks pretty close to me...

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-03-2013 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.