Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 10,570 times

Advertisements

Help!

I am 27 y.o., homeless, rejected and depressed.

I spent the last few months living out of a van in Greenwich Village in Manhattan, and had the time of my life performing music all over the city and state in Times Square, at different cafes and festivals, parties etc.

Now it's getting cold, and I want to get the hell out of dodge.

My van died. I recently broke up with the girl who loves me the most. I have no credit, no job, no roof and only around $500 to my whole name plus my instruments and clothes.

I'm looking for a place to start over. Get back on my feet. Poor decisions have led me to where I am now, with no degrees, no real employable skills and nothing except my music and art. The only thing I can do to earn dough is play and sing my heart out, and people fall in love with me wherever I go. But I need a change. Performing is exhausting

I'm interested in hopping a Greyhound and going somewhere where I can begin to put my life back together again. I am just confused as to the best place for a homeless busker like me to go. My bestfriend (also a vagabond busker) moved up to Seattle WA and he's invited me there, but idk anything about it. A friend of mine suggested I try Southern California for the winter, or Florida. I have never been to any of these places.

I guess I'm a bit lost and confused right now, in pain from heartbreak over my (ex) girl and want to just change my environment. Put certain memories behind me and get back on solid ground before the homeless life really swallows me up. Btw the Northeast is all I know, but I've never been homeless before now.

Any advice is greatly greatly appreciated. Apologies for the long read, but I am really in need of some good advice.

Thanks in advance. -LOVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 12:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
I would suggest New Orleans, but being homeless in the city is not something you want to experience. It will very dangerous. What kind of music?

Old 09-08-2013, 01:08 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,967 times
I wouldnt recommend Florida for anything. Busking would prolly land you in jail overnight in most places in FL.
Stuff like that is just not done there.
My city of Louisville has some buskers in the summer and a fairly low COL. Dont know if you could support yourself on just that, though. But, a lot of music appreciation here. Nashville TN and Asheville NC too.
Good luck, I hope things pick up for you.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:15 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
I would very highly recommend going to Seattle where your friend is, who hopefully has a roof over his head. Any kind of support network is going to be vital in getting back on your feet. Good luck and think logically now, versus with your heart!

Old 09-08-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I would suggest New Orleans, but being homeless in the city is not something you want to experience. It will very dangerous. What kind of music?
New Orleans? Interesting...

I do rock, soul, folk, oldies, doo-wop and beautiful love songs. Covers of popular tunes, children's songs, originals... A little of everything, and whatever is desired by my audience.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:24 PM

Thank you Thunderkat and Kyle. I actually have family in Nashville who are in the music business (songwriting, publishing, production) who love me dearly but have no knowledge whatsoever of my situation. If I could put my pride and shame to the side I know almost for certain that they'd even take me in.

I am reading more and more about Portland and Seattle, and the more I read about it the more sense it makes to give it a shot. The only deterrent I can see is the Fukushima crisis and its effects on that Pacific region.

Thank you tremendously for your replies, you have helped me more than you may know... Just the fact that you cared enough to respond.

I will get through this

Old 09-08-2013, 02:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,501 times
You may want to consider Olympia, WA, which has a nice art community.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:22 PM

37 posts, read 82,037 times
Wow. Being homeless you are worried about the effects of Fukushima. Dude, life just moves on in the west coast.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:13 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times
Fukushima is having, and will continue to have, NO effect on the west coast, other than massive paranoia among the insufficiently informed.

That said, you might hear that SF is conducive to your lifestyle, but the reality is somewhat different in a town where a 1BR can't be had for less than $1500 a month.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:01 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MgzLOVE View Post
Thank you Thunderkat and Kyle. I actually have family in Nashville who are in the music business (songwriting, publishing, production) who love me dearly but have no knowledge whatsoever of my situation. If I could put my pride and shame to the side I know almost for certain that they'd even take me in.
It's really time to put pride and shame (you shouldn't have any) aside and contact them. It's a pretty bad time economically and you are by no means a rare example. Your family would be devastated and have to live with some terrible guilt if something happened to you, and you're really putting yourself in a position where that's far more likely to happen. Go to Nashville, get back on your feet with the help/emotional support of those who love you....then start thinking about the very long rest of your life in terms of new plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.