Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 09:01 PM

374 posts, read 257,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Indeed. The "old money" sophisticated history of Philadelphia gets overshadowed by its much more recent reputation for blue-collar grit, but it's absolutely as much part of the city's DNA as its former "workshop of the world" status.

Philadelphia was one of the first and by far one of the largest hubs of residents on the "Social Register," for one, which was a "gold standard" for sophistication.

A city also doesn't start off as the nation's capital by being a "backwater" town.

I must say that one is HIGHLY debatable. Think of the mentality of the framers of our own constitution. Nothing sophisticated about it, in my opinion. Written by framers FOR framers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 05:46 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
I must say that one is HIGHLY debatable. Think of the mentality of the framers of our own constitution. Nothing sophisticated about it, in my opinion. Written by framers FOR framers.
Not sure what you're getting at, here. The framers were highly influential and prominent statesmen of their time. Certainly the drafting the Constitution required a LOT of intellectual wherewithal.

It's not a flawless document, and certainly the framers did represent only a very narrow subset of the population. But despite those obvious critiques, starting and running a national government absolutely requires sophistication.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:04 AM

372 posts, read 203,490 times
Quote:
Indeed. The "old money" sophisticated history of Philadelphia gets overshadowed by its much more recent reputation for blue-collar grit, but it's absolutely as much part of the city's DNA as its former "workshop of the world" status.

Philadelphia was one of the first and by far one of the largest hubs of residents on the "Social Register," for one, which was a "gold standard" for sophistication.

A city also doesn't start off as the nation's capital by being a "backwater" town.
When Philadelphia was the nation's capital, the population west of Philadelphia consisted of territories, not states, not large cities, etc., to compete. SO, there weren't a whole lot of "big city" options for a US capitol. One's perspective has to change, with the way the country has grown since then. Not to say Philadelphia isn't sophisticated, but it's not what one sees, when watching an Eagle's game, lol. I think Philly has a reputation, as well, for being a little rough around the edges.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
When Philadelphia was the nation's capital, the population west of Philadelphia consisted of territories, not states, not large cities, etc., to compete. SO, there weren't a whole lot of "big city" options for a US capitol. One's perspective has to change, with the way the country has grown since then. Not to say Philadelphia isn't sophisticated, but it's not what one sees, when watching an Eagle's game, lol. I think Philly has a reputation, as well, for being a little rough around the edges.
Not disagreeing in the least. Only suggesting that the "rough around the edges" reputation is rather one-sided (and I don't think "sports culture" is sophisticated in any city, lol). But folks very often overlook Philly's rich history as a cultural hub for "finer" things.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:06 AM

372 posts, read 203,490 times
I think most large cities have an element of sophistication, and by sheet size alone, are cosmopolitan. "Element" being my key word. There is not one city that contains all sophisticates. SF and LA have way too many people in tents along the streets. While there are sophisticates in both cities, one can't be blind to the other. NYC, Chicago and Philly have sophisticates, and along with that, bad neighborhoods with crime. I hope there's no one here arguing that any one city is "sophisticated", and that's that. That city doesn't exist.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:35 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:

As a southerner, I lumped everything from Boston to DC as sophisticated, along with Miami and most of the west coast.

Does Philly have meatheads, yes, so does NYC, Paris and London

Old 05-24-2023, 08:53 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
As a southerner, I lumped everything from Boston to DC as sophisticated, along with Miami and most of the west coast.

Does Philly have meatheads, yes, so does NYC, Paris and London
Yes, but the density levels highly favor Philly and there is no argument there.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:54 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Touche

Old 05-24-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Uh huh.

I've criss-crossed and met many people across this great nation. And many from international locales.

If there's one thing I've gleaned, it's that the "meathead" density is pretty evenly dispersed across the globe, even in the supposedly wealthiest, urbane and most educated places.

Overall, sophistication isn't a place; it's a mindset that can take residence anywhere.

Last edited by Duderino; 05-24-2023 at 10:46 AM..

Old 05-24-2023, 12:05 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Quote:
Uh huh.

Overall, sophistication isn't a place; it's a mindset that can take residence anywhere.

And it can travel with a person as well….if an Ivy or Stanford educated, well traveled and cultured individual moves from a highly regarded sophisticated city to a lesser one do they suddenly become dumb and unsophisticated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.