Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:59 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
You mean like Lebron James when he said he would be taking his talents to South Beach? The Miami Heat play in Miami proper so he has furthered that perception with his remarks.
LOL That, and some people mistakenly think that Miami Beach is part of the city limits of Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 05:01 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The Twin Cities are not like the Minnesota that is portrayed by the Cohen brothers. They are channeling the Minnesota of the '60s that they grew up in. Minneapolis has changed a lot since then. It has made the leap from provincial center to big, cosmopolitan city in that time. Rural Minnesota is still somewhat Fargoesque, but with meth in the trailer parks.
Though wasn't most of Fargo set in rural Minnesota? I mean there was a few scenes in the Twin Cities, but it was mainly set in Brainerd...

Old 11-06-2013, 05:01 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
The entire state of Montana. We don't all hunt, fish, hike or ski all day. Some don't do any of those things at all. Two thirds of the state is flat, prairie land, not glorious mountains. The antigovernment conspiracy theorist or Aryan Nation types are in the extreme minority. The rest of us just live and let live. There are actually a lot of priuses on the road, not everyone drives pick-up trucks. I live in a lame cookie cutter neighborhood just like people all across America. Most people don't live on ranches. In fact, real estate in Montana is much more expensive than people think. Just look at the Montana forum where people romanticize moving to MT and buying a cabin on 20 acres. Sure, if you have $400,000 for a modest cabin maybe. If you only have $250,000 to spend, you can buy my house, 15 minutes outside of town (so cheaper than average) that's the same model house as four of my neighbors on less than half an acre. You're not getting into anything for less than $150,000. And it doesn't snow in most Montana towns as much as Hollywood would lead you to believe. The mountains get a lot of snow but the towns are mostly in the valleys.
But is the iconic Montana sky really massive?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:35 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Though wasn't most of Fargo set in rural Minnesota? I mean there was a few scenes in the Twin Cities, but it was mainly set in Brainerd...
A much of the first half of the movie was set in the Twin Cities, but I was also thinking of A Serious Man.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
A much of the first half of the movie was set in the Twin Cities, but I was also thinking of A Serious Man.
A Simple Man was set in the 1960s however, so it make sense that it sort of based on their memories as kids growing up in the area.

But I see what you're getting at. Just as someone commented that films like The Departed and The Town are based sort of based on things that went on in Boston over 30-40 years ago, but set in contemporary times.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Haha well I haven't heard that. I just hear about how cheap and low density the cities are.
Low density compared to who?

Certainly more dense than any cities in Georgia & about on par with Texas' smallest large metro.

San Antonio - 3,000/sq mi

Atlanta - 3,188/sq mi

Dallas - 3,518/sq mi

Houston - 3,623/sq mi

Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 PM

484 posts, read 882,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Low density compared to who?

Certainly more dense than any cities in Georgia & about on par with Texas' smallest large metro.

San Antonio - 3,000/sq mi

Atlanta - 3,188/sq mi

Dallas - 3,518/sq mi

Houston - 3,623/sq mi
In terms of metro areas, there are none in Texas in the top ten most dense. So compared to those. And I'm aware that except for a tiny sliver called downtown and midtown Atlanta is anything but dense.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:46 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Can there be ONE thread in C-D without people bringing up the pathetically tired DENSITY thing?!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:41 PM

484 posts, read 882,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Can there be ONE thread in C-D without people bringing up the pathetically tired DENSITY thing?!
I think there's quite a few actually.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
LOL That, and some people mistakenly think that Miami Beach is part of the city limits of Miami.
South Beach it's self isn't even a city. More like a section of a city. And folks still speak as if South Beach has a it's own government. "LeBron, Mayor of South Beach"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.