Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:54 AM

484 posts, read 882,995 times

Advertisements

Cities are shown in movies, TV shows, newspaper articles, etc. and are usually characterized by a few of their more notable attributes. This characterization of the cities gives people a certain impression of them and often leave out or overemphasize elements of the city. For example I went to New York City with the impression that everyone was rude and stuck up. I went there and found a number of people to be rude, but also a lot were friendly, especially in Queens. What are some examples of cities that you think are different than they how they are portrayed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 12:25 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Most Texas cities.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Cities are shown in movies, TV shows, newspaper articles, etc. and are usually characterized by a few of their more notable attributes. This characterization of the cities gives people a certain impression of them and often leave out or overemphasize elements of the city. For example I went to New York City with the impression that everyone was rude and stuck up. I went there and found a number of people to be rude, but also a lot were friendly, especially in Queens. What are some examples of cities that you think are different than they how they are portrayed?

I think Atlanta get's a reputation of being a ghetto country town, when it's moreso a business city. You'd be surprised when I talk about business of Atlanta to people who have never been there. People are also pretty shocked that Atlanta is full of transplants too.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:51 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I think Atlanta get's a reputation of being a ghetto country town, when it's moreso a business city. You'd be surprised when I talk about business of Atlanta to people who have never been there.
Why anybody would think that in 2013 is beyond me. It's HQ to some of the largest corporations in the world. It's home to the world's busiest airport. It's got an enormous media presence, thanks to CNN and Turner, the ridiculous number of reality TV shows filmed there, and the music industry. And it's one of only three US cities to ever host a Summer Olympics. Do the Olympics go to "ghetto country towns"? Uh ... no..

Quote:
People are also pretty shocked that Atlanta is full of transplants too.
Now that's just ridiculous. Atlanta has been a boom-town destination for transplants for decades. As a result, it's the "least Southern" Southern city, except for Miami. How can people in California not know this? I know that everybody in San Francisco is not gay!

Old 11-06-2013, 12:54 PM

132 posts, read 545,909 times
Quote:
For example I went to New York City with the impression that everyone was rude and stuck up. I went there and found a number of people to be rude, but also a lot were friendly, especially in Queens.
Some of the nicest people I've met in my life have been in Philadelphia.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Most Texas cities.
In what way?

Old 11-06-2013, 01:05 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Why anybody would think that in 2013 is beyond me. It's HQ to some of the largest corporations in the world. It's home to the world's busiest airport. It's got an enormous media presence, thanks to CNN and Turner, the ridiculous number of reality TV shows filmed there, and the music industry. And it's one of only three US cities to ever host a Summer Olympics. Do the Olympics go to "ghetto country towns"? Uh ... no..

Now that's just ridiculous. Atlanta has been a boom-town destination for transplants for decades. As a result, it's the "least Southern" Southern city, except for Miami. How can people in California not know this? I know that everybody in San Francisco is not gay!

Believe it or not, people in California are pretty clueless about the rest of the country. Despite feeling they're very educated, they have a lot of misconceptions about anything that isn't California. It's even WORSE in Seattle, because they really haven't been anywhere.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:06 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
In what way?
Everybody rides horses to work & wear cowboy hats when in fact Burka's far outnumber the cowboy hats.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Everybody rides horses to work & wear cowboy hats when in fact Burka's far outnumber the cowboy hats.
Haha well I haven't heard that. I just hear about how cheap and low density the cities are.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:59 PM

132 posts, read 545,909 times
Quote:
Haha well I haven't heard that. I just hear about how cheap and low density the cities are.
Having never been there, I also hold the stereotype that all the women over 35 years of age in Dallas have had facelifts and botox injections.

Also, a burqa is different from hijab. I see women wearing hijab all the time, even here in Central New York, but I don't know the last time I've seen anyone in burqa, not even in big cities like NYC, Philly, or Chicago.

But, again, perhaps there is a big Pashtun community in Texas that I'm not aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.