Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state in the Midwest is your favorite?
Illinois 15 11.28%
Indiana 12 9.02%
Iowa 12 9.02%
Kansas 3 2.26%
Michigan 27 20.30%
Minnesota 39 29.32%
Missouri 9 6.77%
Nebraska 8 6.02%
North Dakota 2 1.50%
Ohio 28 21.05%
South Dakota 4 3.01%
Wisconsin 21 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:03 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Not sure why Sioux City would be offended, since it's in Iowa. South Dakota does lack cities, so I can see why the city lovers here might not care for it. I happen to not be a fan of big cities and prefer open spaces and low population density. I think Rapid City is close to perfect.
Argh, I was tired when I wrote that! Souix FALLS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Argh, I was tired when I wrote that! Souix FALLS!
Just busting your chops. You were almost right. North Sioux City is in SD. LOL

Old 11-28-2013, 04:16 AM

80 posts, read 206,390 times
Why isn't Missouri ranked higher on the poll? It has some urban areas such as St. Louis and Kansas City, bluffs of Mississippi/Missouri River Valleys, Lakes of the Ozark, and diverse topography. Missourians are generally friendly and the state also has a lot of history.

What is it about Missouri that most dislike? Please share with me because I am eager to know.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:13 AM

383 posts, read 512,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Born and Bred View Post
Why isn't Missouri ranked higher on the poll? It has some urban areas such as St. Louis and Kansas City, bluffs of Mississippi/Missouri River Valleys, Lakes of the Ozark, and diverse topography. Missourians are generally friendly and the state also has a lot of history.

What is it about Missouri that most dislike? Please share with me because I am eager to know.
Because Ohio can offer most of what Missouri offers with close access to the Northeast and three major urban areas to choose from. Cleveland/ St. Louis. Cincinnati/Kansas City. Columbus/ ?

Old 11-28-2013, 06:37 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Far more people have visited Michigan than many of the other Midwestern states, so your point makes no sense. I like Michigan -- I think I rated Michigan #2 -- but there is certainly competition at the top.
I think that most people who visit Michigan go to ugliest part of the state (everything south of I-69). This area resembles the rest of the states on the list. Northern Michigan, West Coast of Michigan, and the Upper Peninsula provide completely different scenery.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Because Ohio can offer most of what Missouri offers with close access to the Northeast and three major urban areas to choose from. Cleveland/ St. Louis. Cincinnati/Kansas City. Columbus/ ?
Don't get me wrong. I personally do like Ohio but Columbus is the only city in Ohio I would live in. I think the close access to the Northeast is what makes Ohio more appealing.

Missouri happens to be more scenic rural with two metro areas at the opposite sides. Big "college town" of Columbia is very nice while Springfield is okay.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I think that most people who visit Michigan go to ugliest part of the state (everything south of I-69). This area resembles the rest of the states on the list. Northern Michigan, West Coast of Michigan, and the Upper Peninsula provide completely different scenery.
I don't think Michigan is ugly anywhere outside Detroit and Flint. Ann Arbor is the gem that is close to Detroit. Grand Rapids is my second favorite.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:34 PM

416 posts, read 701,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ill give South Dakota some love, the black hills are beautiful so yes it should rank better than it is. THe people there are genuinely nice too. No offense to Ohio but SD should be beating a state like that. In fact Ohio is also beatin Mi and Wi too, really shocking. Ohio has a huge population that outnumbers all Midwest states but Illinois, so Im guessing its the homers voting for their homestate. Like I said not bashing the buckeye state, it has some really nice areas along the river especially, but its very suprising its doing as well as it is in this poll.
I think the Black Hills are very beautiful, but outside of that, South Dakota lacks variety in its topography. And going by your logic, Illinois should be killing everyone in the poll because it has the most people by some 2 million on the next state in Ohio. I rarely in the General US forum see Ohio posters posting here. Also, going by the amount of Chicago boosters on here, I am surprised Illinois is not higher. But in reality, away from Chicago and Lake Michigan, Illinois is one big yawn and place I would just want to sleep while driving through it.

I don't see why it's surprising Ohio is doing well. Ohio is a great blend between Northeast and Midwest, farmland in the NW and Appalachian Foothills in the SE. My entire area was designed by settlers from Connecticut, and large portions of the NE part of the state are New England in origin and design. You have booming cities like Columbus, and beautiful historic neighborhoods in Cincinnati. You can stand on the bluffs along Lake Erie in Cleveland and look out over the lake with sailboats and see the skyline off in the distance, or stand in the neighborhoods of Cincinnati perched up on the hills and take in the skyline and river valley views.

Ohio is the only state on the list with a national park in the top 10 most visited in the country:

10 Most Visited National Parks -- National Geographic

Ohio also produces more wine than any of the other states in the poll. This has created beautiful vineyards and tourist hot spots along Ohio's eastern shore.

Top 10 wine-producing states - latimes.com

http://www.ttb.gov/statistics/2012/2012wine-final.pdf

You have some of the nation's most popular theme parks in King's Island and Cedar Point. Not too far away from Cedar Point you have the popular Lake Erie Islands. You can go to the "Keywest of the Midwest" at Put-in-Bay, or view the awesome glaciation process that created the Great Lakes on Kelly's Island. Go to Southeastern Ohio and you can visit state parks and national forests, you can find some of the best waterfalls east of the Mississippi at Hocking Hills. From big cities that are completely different from each other in all kinds of good ways like the largest historic Italianate neighborhood in America in Cincinnati to world renowned healthcare and arts in Cleveland's University Circle, Ohio offers a lot. Not only do you have plenty of large and small cities, but you have amazing countryside of all varieties. Ohio is 7th in population and 7th largest economy, but is 5th for fortune 500 companies that call it home. Names like Procter and Gamble, Macy's, Nationwide, Cardinal Health, Progressive, etc. Great museums like the National Museum of the Airforce in Dayton, Cleveland Museum of Art, Columbus Zoo which is one of the nation's most popular, and Cincinnati's zoo which is the second oldest in the country. There's a lot more to Ohio than people on here talk about, and it's severely underrated.

NE Ohio:

This Is Downtown Cleveland - YouTube

Ledges Overlook - Virginia Kendall, Cuyahoga Valley National Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cleveland and Edgewater Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

SW Ohio:

Cincinnati | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Mt. Adams Sunset | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

NW Ohio:

Relay for Life Booze Cruise August 2013 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

South Bass Island | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

SW Ohio:

Hocking Hills Waterfall | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

HDR Hocking Hills Waterfalls | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ohio Parks Hocking Hills Waterfall | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Shawnee State Park Ohio | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Lake Hope Sunrise | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:08 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
I think the Black Hills are very beautiful, but outside of that, South Dakota lacks variety in its topography.
I don't think South Dakota is necessarily better than Ohio, but this is just not true.

Black Hills
http://www.shltrip.com/sitebuilder/i...50-989x750.jpg
http://preservationinpink.files.word...7/dsc03010.jpg

Badlands
http://www.naturespicsonline.com/gal...mapped_std.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ds_SD_USA3.jpg

Central South Dakota (Missouri River)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7033/6...c007bd4b_o.jpg
http://www.pierre.org/images/photogallery/nine.jpg

Central South Dakota (flat plains)
http://goo.gl/maps/rWdqA

Northeast South Dakota (Lake Enemy Swim)
http://s1.totaloutdoornetwork.com/Us...3063c4aa3f.jpg

Eastern South Dakota (Falls Park, Sioux Falls)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...alls_sd_lg.JPG

Southeast South Dakota (looking across the Missouri River at Dakota Dunes)
http://goo.gl/maps/oi2Yo

Also Mount Rushmore gets waaaaay more traffic than Cuyahoga Valley, and both are run by the National Park Service.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:20 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
I don't see why it's surprising Ohio is doing well. Ohio is a great blend between Northeast and Midwest, farmland in the NW and Appalachian Foothills in the SE. My entire area was designed by settlers from Connecticut, and large portions of the NE part of the state are New England in origin and design. You have booming cities like Columbus, and beautiful historic neighborhoods in Cincinnati. You can stand on the bluffs along Lake Erie in Cleveland and look out over the lake with sailboats and see the skyline off in the distance, or stand in the neighborhoods of Cincinnati perched up on the hills and take in the skyline and river valley views.

Ohio is the only state on the list with a national park in the top 10 most visited in the country:

Ohio also produces more wine than any of the other states in the poll. This has created beautiful vineyards and tourist hot spots along Ohio's eastern shore.

You have some of the nation's most popular theme parks in King's Island and Cedar Point. Not too far away from Cedar Point you have the popular Lake Erie Islands. You can go to the "Keywest of the Midwest" at Put-in-Bay, or view the awesome glaciation process that created the Great Lakes on Kelly's Island. Go to Southeastern Ohio and you can visit state parks and national forests, you can find some of the best waterfalls east of the Mississippi at Hocking Hills. From big cities that are completely different from each other in all kinds of good ways like the largest historic Italianate neighborhood in America in Cincinnati to world renowned healthcare and arts in Cleveland's University Circle, Ohio offers a lot. Not only do you have plenty of large and small cities, but you have amazing countryside of all varieties. Ohio is 7th in population and 7th largest economy, but is 5th for fortune 500 companies that call it home. Names like Procter and Gamble, Macy's, Nationwide, Cardinal Health, Progressive, etc. Great museums like the National Museum of the Airforce in Dayton, Cleveland Museum of Art, Columbus Zoo which is one of the nation's most popular, and Cincinnati's zoo which is the second oldest in the country. There's a lot more to Ohio than people on here talk about, and it's severely underrated.

You forgot one very important Ohio tourism video:

HASTILY MADE CLEVELAND TOURISM VIDEO - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.