Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,234 times

Advertisements

Anyone from the South familiar with either extensive travel or living in Canada?

Cultural differences and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 08:30 PM

386 posts, read 668,045 times
Might as well ask what the difference between night and day is

Old 12-09-2013, 08:37 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Calgarypuck.com is a hockey forum with a lot of off-topic stuff. In fact our differences are one of the main non-hockey topics discussed there. Warning though: you might not like what you read .

Lots of smart folks on that board though. You might want to check it out.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:14 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
It's been a while since I've been to Canada (British Columbia, Alberta, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia). I didn't find it to be any sort of culture shock.

I guess if you want to play the stereotypes game, Canadians are like northerners....with manners.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:36 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Canadians are good drivers IMO.

BTW, when you say southerners, I'm assuming you're talking about the entire U.S. and not just the southern U.S. I don't believe you ever specified.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:05 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
From my Sunbelt perspective, very different parts of the world.

Basically one is very progressive/ tolerant, more egalitarian, safe, orderly, health/ environmentally-conscious, colder (not talking about the weather) & expensive. People take public transit.

The other is much more conservative (even the cities despite what the residents think), racially/class-divided, less safe, less health/ environmentally-conscious, and more bang for the buck. Only the underclass take public transit.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
The government runs the liquor stores.

Everybody does the same things the same way and they think you are bonkers if you even SUGGEST that there is another way of doing things. One example of this is Fish and Chips. Go into a Fish and Chips joint and ask if you can get cole slaw instead of fries. Hilarity ensues.

They eat weird things. Butter on their sandwiches. Poutain. They dip their fries in gravy.

Generally the produce sections of their grocery stores are much better than in the US (this may not be true of everywhere in the US, but it is of Missouri).

They drive in Kilometers instead of miles. Mulitply everything by 6 and move the decimal.

This is just a sample, there are lots more.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-09-2013, 11:15 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post

Basically one is very progressive/ tolerant, more egalitarian, safe, orderly, health/ environmentally-conscious, colder (not talking about the weather) & expensive. People take public transit.

The other is much more conservative (even the cities despite what the residents think), racially/class-divided, less safe, less health/ environmentally-conscious, and more bang for the buck. Only the underclass take public transit.
Did you visit areas in Canada outside of the large cities?

Old 12-09-2013, 11:15 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post

Can i repost this on this thread?

//www.city-data.com/forum/world...thread-14.html

Old 12-10-2013, 06:54 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I find French Canada to be quite different, naturally, although its influence can be found in parts of the upper Northeast and Midwest US. Besides that, the Western Provinces feel like a mirror image of the Northwest US. Same goes for British Columbia and the PNW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.