Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 05:57 PM

797 posts, read 1,431,087 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from the Bay Area and now live in VA, moving here from an outsider's perspective I have noticed similarities between NC, VA, D.C. and MD but its usually D.C. and MD that will not agree with this though lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 07:21 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
I'm originally from the Bay Area and now live in VA, moving here from an outsider's perspective I have noticed similarities between NC, VA, D.C. and MD but its usually D.C. and MD that will not agree with this though lol
NC and Maryland/DC to an extent which is understandable. You can find similarities between Maryland and Pennsylvania doesn't mean they're very much alike.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:46 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
"Virginia and North Carolina? Those redneck states?" LOL. I don't see a ton of similarities between North Carolina and Maryland but I'm sure there are some.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:08 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think of DC as a gritty city at all; it doesn't have an industrial history like other cities in the mid-Atlantic. Of course it has some gritty inner neighborhoods, but that's a pretty ubiquitous characteristic. I find Winston-Salem and Richmond to be more alike in the gritty department, while Richmond and DC are more alike in the urban department.

I actually think Richmond is closer to Winston-Salem than DC in terms of economic diversity. Of course Richmond has many government jobs as a state capital, but they don't come close to defining its economy which isn't the case for DC. Both Richmond and Winston-Salem have somewhat large corporate profiles for their sizes, which include banking operations, tobacco corporations, and energy corporations. I agree that Winston-Salem wasn't historically or isn't presently known for having a prominent Black community; Richmond is more like Durham on this front (Jackson Ward/Parrish Street). From what I can tell, Richmond is somewhere in between Winston and DC when it comes to nightlife and downtown weekday activity (and I know DC is more of a lounge and bar city, with happy hour being a pretty big deal there; not sure how Richmond compares in that regard). I also don't get the sense that Richmond has the same professional vibe as DC which puts a pretty high premium on career and networking, noticeably more than other cities; I think Richmond and Winston-Salem are more laid back on this front, as are most cities. Certainly both Richmond and DC are river cities, but DC doesn't really have a "river culture" like Richmond since the city didn't spring up due to its proximity to the river, nor did it primarily use the river for trade and industry.
Even in some of the outer neighborhoods, you'll see some degree of grittiness in DC as well, particularly on South Capitol St heading towards the Eastover Shopping Center across the PG line. And parts of Southwest and Northeast have an industrial character that most people don't seem aware of for some reason. They aren't steel mills but their industrial nonetheless.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:06 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Even in some of the outer neighborhoods, you'll see some degree of grittiness in DC as well, particularly on South Capitol St heading towards the Eastover Shopping Center across the PG line. And parts of Southwest and Northeast have an industrial character that most people don't seem aware of for some reason. They aren't steel mills but their industrial nonetheless.
I've seen some VERY gritty areas of DC over the years, but some of them have been sterilized recently. DC definitely has some grit, but not many people see it.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
"Virginia and North Carolina? Those redneck states?" LOL. I don't see a ton of similarities between North Carolina and Maryland but I'm sure there are some.
An Atlantic coast is about all I can think of.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:31 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I gotcha, but that's like how Charlotte has gritty areas that almost no one who hasn't lived there or visited frequently knows about but they don't define the city at all. And Charlotte actually had a much more blue collar history with the textile industry than DC ever had.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
An Atlantic coast is about all I can think of.
Maryland also had an ACC team but those days are over.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Maryland also had an ACC team but those days are over.
Yep, HAD. They couldn't win the ACC, so they had to get in the B1G where they could compete. LOL!

I think Maryland has some wild ponies somewhere along the coast like NC does.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yep, HAD. They couldn't win the ACC, so they had to get in the B1G where they could compete. LOL!

I think Maryland has some wild ponies somewhere along the coast like NC does.
I've heard the DC and Baltimore suburbs aren't too different from the Raleigh/Durham suburbs, but I guess most suburbs along the East Coast aren't going to be that dissimilar. I grew up with some kids originally from Maryland in Raleigh, and you do see a decent amount of Maryland license plates in the area so I guess there is some interaction between the two. After all, without any Richmond or DC traffic, you can drive from Raleigh to Baltimore in less than five hours. That's even closer than Atlanta. Also, before the Carolina Panthers, Raleigh and (I guess) most areas of NC pulled for the Washington Redskins. I'm sure the Outer Banks in NC and Eastern Shore in MD have some similarities, too. However, this is getting a little off-topic. As I've said many times, I think Virginia is more similar to North Carolina in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.