Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 12:13 PM

1,021 posts, read 909,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Oh ok, that makes sense
It's all good. That wasn't my most elaborate post. I was just wondering where in the state did that person see all of those barns and crosses. I haven't come across that area yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 12:28 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
NC has plenty of rural areas, but I've yet to see a true city there. Charlotte looks like a bunch of burbs with a modest skyline in the middle.
You know you just pretty much described NoVA, right?

Quote:
It's also pretty slow and conservative...perhaps you forgot the whole transgender bathroom debacle that originated there.
Perhaps you forgot exactly what the whole debacle entailed, if you ever knew to begin with.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:35 PM

636 posts, read 610,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I had no idea...and I have no idea where you're coming from with that. I've never propped up the DC burbs as any kind of example of urbanity (aside from maybe Alexandria) nor defended them in any way.

Quote:
Perhaps you forgot exactly what the whole debacle entailed, if you ever knew to begin with.
Enlighten me then.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I had no idea...and I have no idea where you're coming from with that. I've never propped up the DC burbs as any kind of example of urbanity (aside from maybe Alexandria) nor defended them in any way.
The point is that what you're lambasting NC for, VA has in spades all over NC. Do you also think VA has "no true city"?

Quote:
Enlighten me then.
You can easily Google it yourself which you should've done beforehand so it wouldn't be so obvious that you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:53 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:

NoVa feels substantially more developed and dense than metro Charlotte. I think the attempt at aligning NoVa with the sunbelt is very overstated here. It's can have some similarities, but there's a much different feel in northern Virginia probably because it's in a different sub-region of the country.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:57 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The only part of the state that has ties to the NE is NoVa and that is just commuting ties, NoVa is wholly mid Atlantic though.

Well, yes and no. I can see what you're getting at, but don't forget the impact of retirees from the NE flocking to some of the littler towns near the coast. In my town the ties to NY and NJ are strong. New residents have had a huge impact on everything from church services to holiday traditions to local stores/restaurants. Lots of southern influences, too. Lots of California influences because everyone here has computers and tvs. Lots of everything. That's why I usually just stick to the geographic definition. It's in the middle of the Atlantic states, thus mid-Atlantic.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:59 PM

636 posts, read 610,947 times
Quote:
The point is that what you're lambasting NC for, VA has in spades all over NC. Do you also think VA has "no true city"?
What? VA has Richmond. Might not the biggest city but it's far more urban than anything I've seen in NC.

Quote:
You can easily Google it yourself which you should've done beforehand so it wouldn't be so obvious that you don't know what you're talking about.
With a response like this, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about either, sport.

You always sound so angry. Get better.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:10 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
It's all good. That wasn't my most elaborate post. I was just wondering where in the state did that person see all of those barns and crosses. I haven't come across that area yet.

Oh, well that's different. If you're looking for barns, there are lots of little communities all over VA that have barns. Even a few of the more urban areas have a few token barns left. I can think of some along Rt. 7, for example. Of course, the same is true in any state. Not completely sure about the crosses. I can't offhand think of any big ones, although I'm sure there are a few. When I think of crosses, the first thing that came to mind was the ones people tend to put up along busy roads where there have been car accidents. Plenty of those in VA, too. (I know that's not what you meant, though. )

Old 12-17-2018, 01:13 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The only part of the state that has ties to the NE is NoVa and that is just commuting ties, NoVa is wholly mid Atlantic though.
Not true, especially because you of all people consider Washington a Northeastern city. Richmond has definite Northeastern ties...

Also, what is "wholly" Mid-Atlantic? If its somewhere that has no northern or southern culture, that place doesn't really exist lol. Hampton Roads and the city of Richmond are probably more authentically Mid-Atlantic than NoVa, which as mentioned ad nauseam, could just as easily be the suburban area of any major city anywhere...

Quote:
NC has plenty of rural areas, but I've yet to see a true city there. Charlotte looks like a bunch of burbs with a modest skyline in the middle. It's also pretty slow and conservative...perhaps you forgot the whole transgender bathroom debacle that originated there.

Also not sure why the DC burbs are always arbitrarily extracted from the rest of the state in these discussions.
I disagree about Charlotte, which is a real city. Sure, its Sunbelt, but it's a real city...

Your last sentence is on point, though. All of our CD peers who are presumably intelligent love to separate NoVa from the rest of Virginia. As someone raised around Prince William and Fairfax, and as I've mentioned many, many times, a)the idea isn't supported by the vast majority of Virginians from NoVa, HR, or Richmond, and b)the only dramatic difference between NoVa and the other two is that it borders a global metropolis, so it has the build and amenities that accompany that. There are a ton of commonalities and NoVa-like parts in both RVA and HR, and all three are distinctly Virginian and share Virginian qualities...

Maybe it takes a Virginian to get it, I don't know, but this idea that NoVa is some foreign land is not reality and really needs to die...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
This is going to sound harsh, but it’s not because I don’t really care one way or another about VA outside of the northern suburbs.

Take out the Washington DC suburbs, you have a more sparsely populated state, more conservative, slower growth, more rural state than NC.

That’s why I don’t think VA is has that many similarities to NC. Maybe Kentucky is a better comparison to VA than NC. I think NC has more in common with GA and SC.
The funny part about this commentary is that you're shorting yourself if you don't desire to experience the rest of Virginia...

I've said it alot and I SO mean it--I grew up in both Woodbridge and Fairfax. I enjoyed where I grew up, for the most part. But the existence there can be had in any major city suburban area. We spent a lot of time on Metro to DC, because anything there was cooler than anything in NoVa. When my mom joined the Army Reserves and started with Mary Kay, both took her work life to Richmond, which precipitated our move to Central Virginia for high school for me. Anything in Richmond was much cooler than anything we found in NoVa...

The vast majority of people I know (and to be quite honest, I don't know an extraordinary amount) that prefer NoVa to HR or Richmond prefer either a certain suburban-centric lifestyle or the proximity to "The City". I could never live in NoVa again, and its home, but if I did it would be solely because of the proximity to DC. There is a ton, literally a ton, of interchange/cross flow between the three urban centers of The Crescent. RVA and Tidewater aren't these far away, unknown areas to NoVans. I've known people from all areas in each metro...

The reality is there is a greater cultural experience in other parts of Virginia than you find in NoVa, so much richer. And I would never have to live in NoVa because I could live in Richmond with a much more profound cultural imprint and still be within an hour and a half of The District...

I've grown to love North Carolina. I have always loved Charlotte and I've grown an affection for Raleigh and Fayetteville. Kentucky is a horrible comp to VA in terms of rural-to-urban nature; NC and VA are closer to each other than either is to Kentucky, which has a total of one urban center that exceeds one million people...

You'd also want to note that there are several notable VA cities less conservative than the supposed most liberal cities in NC of Charlotte and Raleigh. Most of your commentary is Carolina bias and Virginia ignorance, but it's your world, gee!

Old 12-17-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
What? VA has Richmond. Might not the biggest city but it's far more urban than anything I've seen in NC.
I like Richmond but you're talking like you live in Philly or something. Charlotte was never as big as Richmond back in the day but it's got plenty of 21st century "true city" features like a robust and expanding mass transit system, major league professional sports, one of the busiest airports in the nation, and the infrastructure to support large-scale events. Only people who choose to live in 1818 would fail to see how Charlotte isn't a "true city" in light of these and more features.

Quote:
With a response like this, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about either, sport.

You always sound so angry. Get better.
I'm very well-aware of what I'm talking about and if anyone is sounding angry here, it's you because I exposed your ignorance; I have no reason at all to be angry. Holding up the HB2 debacle as a supposed example of how conservative Charlotte is is just as misguided as those who hold up the protests in Charlottesville as an example of how racist that city supposedly is. Again, you really need to know what you're talking about when you post this type of stuff. Not a good look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.