Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:08 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times

Advertisements

Because the fail geography of North America ensures that everywhere in the US is cold during winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessPower View Post
I call BS on about 70% of the people who voted for the 4 seasons... typically if people like winter then they hate summer, and the ones who like summer hate winter.
As one of the 70-percenters, I'll speak on my own behalf. Yes, in a very general sense I prefer winter over summer. However, I live in a part of the country where summer highs rarely go above 80 degrees, so where I live summers are actually very pleasant.

On the other hand, where you live, summer is synonymous with HELL... and it lasts way too long. I also enjoy fall colors. Something else you don't get down there. What I don't like is monotony, and having four seasons (even if our winter is more grey than white) helps break up that monotony.

So, call b.s. all you want. Some of us voted for 4 seasons because we actually like having 4 seasons, minus the blast-furnace summers.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:28 PM

25 posts, read 32,148 times
Some people like cold weather. I hate it and can't wait to move somewhere warmer.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:35 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Because the fail geography of North America ensures that everywhere in the US is cold during winters.
Hm, sounds like somebody hasn't been to Phoenix, Las Vegas, or Miami in the winter

Old 12-29-2013, 01:52 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Hm, sounds like somebody hasn't been to Phoenix, Las Vegas, or Miami in the winter
Las Vegas? Are you kidding? It snowed every single winter I lived there. One winter we even got 6 inches dumped on us in a 24 hour period that didn't melt for a week. Don't let the palm trees fool you. That town gets pretty damn cold from about Thanksgiving through Easter.

I lived in Phoenix for a while too and the nights can get pretty cold in Winter. It will warm up from the 30's to the 70's in the daytime, but back down to the 30's again at night. Occasionally (but rarely) the upper 20's even.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:12 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,118 times
Live in Omaha. I prefer the cold to the heat. However, our warm season seems to grow every year (never mind 2013 which seems to be the coldest since the 80s). We now only average like 25 inches of snow and the average monthly highs are greater than 50 for 9 months out of the year. While to some that is okay, I love the winter and often think about Michigan, Minnesota, Montana etc to get a better fill. I love the relationship building, the feel and smell of a crisp night, the anticipation of coming home to cozy up. Lately, outside of this year, I'm not getting my fill.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:19 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
I doubt I could live without 4 seasons. I have a yearly biorhythm that... I cherish. Love cocooning for a few months in winter, reading tons of books, drinking hot chocolate, and THINKING.....then comes the new life of Spring....a hyperactive summer full of outdoor life/sports/hiking, and then the beautiful autumn.

I actually have no idea why anyone would want to give that up. Of course, February is at times a little problematic, depending on one's ability to take a week or two vacation southward, depends on the winter....

Old 12-29-2013, 06:30 AM

71 posts, read 114,656 times
In my mind, winter is supposed to be cold AND snowy, and summer should be warm enough to wear shorts and go swimming but not so hot that it actually becomes dangerous to be outside for too long.

Summers in the south are terribly hot and miserable. Fall and winter temperatures are more desirable than summer here in Tennessee.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:50 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
For the most part, Southern California, the Desert Southwest, the Gulf Coast from Texas to Florida, and the Atlantic Coast up to Myrtle Beach are the areas with warm winters in relation to the rest of the country.

However, because of North America's lack of mountains, cold fronts can easily invade too far south, and bring freak cold weather to the areas mentioned above, and ruin the otherwise warm winters in the above areas. The same effect can be seen with other Northern Hemisphere subtropical climates, such as those in China, Japan, and Europe.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Why do I stay in (or want to move to) a 'cold' 4-season environment?

I like to be comfortable, not sweaty and covered in insects most of the year. Two months of high summer is plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.