Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:49 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJphillyfan View Post
If you hate New Jersey so much, why don't you leave?
Way ahead of you.

Quote:
Surely, you'll be able to fly your (racist) flag with no problem back down South.
And just how is the Confederate flag racist? Because slavery existed in the CSA? Native Americans were ethnically cleansed and massacred under the American flag. Is the American flag racist? Don't be a hypocrite.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
I hung my rebel flag for all them Yankees to see, but yall told me to take it down.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:03 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
The backlash again the teabagging Republicans is because of the loony neo-confederate fringe. Reactions even in the South is that the rebel flag will just bring more shame to a part of the nation trying to shed the racist stain. The "party of the South" is taking the GOP into a place it needs to back away from ASAP.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:16 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
I don't know California, we will see yet if the South shall maintain her status as a bastion of freedom.

I finished my registration before for the League of South conference in Atlanta later this year.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:35 AM

181 posts, read 323,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Way ahead of you.

And just how is the Confederate flag racist? Because slavery existed in the CSA? Native Americans were ethnically cleansed and massacred under the American flag. Is the American flag racist? Don't be a hypocrite.
I'm not a fan of the Confederate Flag, but I have to say that this is one of the greatest points I have ever seen on City-Data. Then again, I'm not a big fan of the US flag either.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,831,616 times
The Unites States of America's flag or the Confederate Flag...you choose. The two aren't compatable in my opinion. They are mutually exclusive.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:25 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,490 times
I've seen it in quite a few places and being Asian, I was aware of the many connotations and different meanings it held.

In the whole, it never bothered me as long as there weren't any chests being huffed at the exact point.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:17 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
The Rebel flag displays racism. This is the United States of America. We should all use the American flag. If people want to use the rebel flag they should not be considered Americans.

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 04-15-2010 at 09:42 AM..

Old 04-15-2010, 09:24 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I've seen it in quite a few places and being Asian, I was aware of the many connotations and different meanings it held.

In the whole, it never bothered me as long as there weren't any chests being huffed at the exact point.
I feel exactly the same way. A symbol only has as much meaning as you put into it. I just think its a piece of cloth, with some historic symbolism behind it. It's when people act on its symbolism, either one way or other, that it starts having an effect.

If Southerners want to be proud of their heritage by showing the flag, then they have every right to. On the same token, they should acknowledge that will carry the kind of emotional stigma that will get people to respond negatively to them. If that price is worth to pay, then let them do what they want.

Just to remind those in the thread of where people get the right to do this from:
" Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_A...s_Constitution

The fighting words doctrine doesn't work here, unless there was malicious intent behind it (like taking the flag to a Black neighborhood and using the flag as a symbol to enslave Blacks). Here's more about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_words_doctrine

However, everyone has the right to express disapproval. That's all.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:00 AM

181 posts, read 323,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
The Rebel flag displays racism. This is the United States of America. We should all use the American flag. If people want to use the rebel flag they should not be considered Americans.
You really didn't answer the guys point. You're saying the Rebel Flag is racist because it is associated with slavery and that may be true. However, look at all the evil that has been done under the US flag, and a good example of this is the genocide of the Native Americans (a little worse than slavery if you ask me). You want a good example? Take a look at Andrew Jackson and The Trail of Tears.

You can say you don't like the Confederate flag because you don't like the idea of anyone seceding from the US, and that makes sense. You can say you dislike it because of slavery, but then the assumption is that if you like the American flag you don't see a real issue with the slaughtering of Native Americans. You can say it's just a piece of cloth and who really cares, that makes sense. Finally, you can say you dislike both, because they both are tainted, and that makes sense.

However, you're a hypocrite (or you don't care about the plight of Native Americans), if you praise the US flag and yet demonize the Confederate flag. The Native American issue is just one of many that could be mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.