Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJphillyfan View Post
Native Americans have absolutely nothing to do with it. That is an asinine argument. The Confederacy was created because of slavery, period. That was the sole purpose for its creation. That has nothing to do with what went on with Native Americans in the 1700's or discrimination issues in the North. It's not about the North having "moral superiority" over the South. The thread is about the Confederate flag. The Confederate flag is the symbol of an entity that was created to keep slavery legal. That's it. Desperate southerners trying to justify displaying (with pride) such a symbol try to assign all kinds of reasons for the creation of the Confederacy, but the facts are the facts: the Confederacy was created for slavery.
No, this is 100% wrong, no matter how many times you repeat it, and you will not be allowed to slide.

The Confederacy was created to protect the economic and political integrity of the Southern states after Northern aggression and intrusion into the internal affairs of sovereign states became too much to swallow. Slavery was just one aspect of an agrarian lifestyle and agricultural economy in the South, which American founding father Thomas Jefferson himself envisioned as the future path for American civilization.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:56 PM

199 posts, read 526,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
No, this is 100% wrong, no matter how many times you repeat it, and you will not be allowed to slide.

The Confederacy was created to protect the economic and political integrity of the Southern states after Northern aggression and intrusion into the internal affairs of sovereign states became too much to swallow. Slavery was just one aspect of an agrarian lifestyle and agricultural economy in the South, which American founding father Thomas Jefferson himself envisioned as the future path for American civilization.
Quote:
By 1860, sectional disagreements between the North and South revolved primarily around the maintenance or expansion of slavery. Historian Drew Gilpin Faust observed that "leaders of the secession movement across the South cited slavery as the most compelling reason for southern independence."
Again, you can throw in a few other reasons to make yourself feel better, but slavery, by far, was the driving force behind the secession of the Confederate states. Any other issues involved were clearly secondary. You can spin it any way you want to, but the facts are the facts.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Slavery was just one aspect of an agrarian lifestyle and agricultural economy in the South, which American founding father Thomas Jefferson himself envisioned as the future path for American civilization.

One wonders why agrarian states like Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio and Michigan had no urge to rebel. Wait....they didn't have slavery. Hmmm.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
One wonders why agrarian states like Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio and Michigan had no urge to rebel. Wait....they didn't have slavery. Hmmm.
He doesn't seem to be a big fan of common sense.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
First off, this line of reasoning is faulty and extremely simplistic. Slavery was not the reason for the Southern fight for independence. It was but one factor in a long line of disrespectful actions, economic and political, from arrogant Northerners toward a part of the nation which was largely unindustrialized and economically delicate. The Midwestern states you mention by and large did not feel alienated by the Northeast. You think just because there are agrarian centers in the states you mention that this is a logical argument? Slavery largely followed the cultivation of the cotton crop which was the most efficient cash crop and kept slaves busy considering the tedious process it encompassed. The South was far and away the leading exporter of cotton, not in the U.S., but the entire world, and produced 65% of America's exports. Why do you think the British and French sympathized with the CSA? You don't seem to understand the cultural, political, and economic reality of the time.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
First off, this line of reasoning is faulty and extremely simplistic. Slavery was not the reason for the Southern fight for independence. It was but one factor in a long line of disrespectful actions, economic and political, from arrogant Northerners toward a part of the nation which was largely unindustrialized and economically delicate. The Midwestern states you mention by and large did not feel alienated by the Northeast. You think just because there are agrarian centers in the states you mention that this is a logical argument? Slavery largely followed the cultivation of the cotton crop which was the most efficient cash crop and kept slaves busy considering the tedious process it encompassed. The South was far and away the leading exporter of cotton, not in the U.S., but the entire world, and produced 65% of America's exports. Why do you think the British and French sympathized with the CSA? You don't seem to understand the cultural, political, and economic reality of the time.
LOL, you only reaffirm the stereotype of a southerner bitter about the result of the Civil War. Hilarious...

Old 04-15-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJphillyfan View Post
LOL, you only reaffirm the stereotype of a southerner bitter about the result of the Civil War. Hilarious...

I was born and raised in the North.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:13 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,961,424 times
There are certainly people who display it as a symbol of Southern pride with no intention of racism, but there are also people who do display it with the intent of racism. Either way, I still find it insensitive for someone to display it, even if they don't mean it in a racist way. For instance, I am Hindu, and in Hinduism, the Swastika is a religious symbol that dates back centuries, and it was common to display it on the doorstep or on a wall in the house. However, because of the holocaust and the Nazi's use of the symbol, I and most other Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains living in the western world will not display it out to avoid upsetting and/or offending anyone.

I think it's fine to be proud of your Southern roots, but why display a Confederate Flag while knowing it offends and upsets so many people? If you have some sort of decency or compassion for others, why not just show your pride in a different way?

Just my opinion.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:03 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
There are certainly people who display it as a symbol of Southern pride with no intention of racism, but there are also people who do display it with the intent of racism. Either way, I still find it insensitive for someone to display it, even if they don't mean it in a racist way. For instance, I am Hindu, and in Hinduism, the Swastika is a religious symbol that dates back centuries, and it was common to display it on the doorstep or on a wall in the house. However, because of the holocaust and the Nazi's use of the symbol, I and most other Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains living in the western world will not display it out to avoid upsetting and/or offending anyone.

I think it's fine to be proud of your Southern roots, but why display a Confederate Flag while knowing it offends and upsets so many people? If you have some sort of decency or compassion for others, why not just show your pride in a different way?

Just my opinion.
So based on that idea, I could start up a hate group and make loaf bread my symbol. Then it would offend people if anyone bought loaf bread and used it at their home. So stores will need to stop selling loaf bread. Or I could just use the word "is." You better stop using that word becuase it might offend someone.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:07 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,626 times
I am part Cherokee Indian. Andrew Jackson was president and forced my people to move. I am offended that you allow his picture on the $20 bill.

I am just being sarcastic, but I really am part Cherokee. I am just showing how you can take anything and make it offensive to someone. People need to chill out. How long do you have to wait before you can start wearing stuff again that was once offensive and have no one complain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.