Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:16 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree though I would throw Philly into the mix as a strong contender. The city has seen some transplants over recent years but is overwhelmingly quite provincial and a majority of residents don't really travel other than maybe annual trips to "Philly-By-The Sea".....the Jersey Shore. *shudder*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Philly is STILL the only city you talk about on here? Talk about insular viewpoints...

Orlando must be as boring as it seems... As if Florida already wasn't one of the worst states in the country, imagine to live in the dead center without the benefit of the nice beaches .

insular definition: ignorant of or uninterested in cultures, ideas, or peoples outside one's own experience.

^That describes you to a T, Kyle. Lived in Kensington, North Philadelphia (one of the poorest and most deindustrialized neighborhoods in the city and maybe even country) for 5 years and it's all he can talk about. He even has the zip code in his user name.
You are quite the Philly cheerleader aren't you? And seemingly whenever anyone has anything negative to say about the city on this forum you appear to shout them down. I lived in Fishtown specifically (same zip code as Kensington) which has become one of the new darling neighborhoods that people like yourself love to get all gushy about as an example of how swell Philly is allegedly....as if neighborhood revitalization is a new discovery, though it is something novel I suppose when Philly is used as part of the conversation. In terms of insular viewpoints I would look for one of your grime and nicotine-encrusted mirrors and have a look-see at a real example as clearly the ignorance/lack of interest in any other city has placed you squarely within the definition of "insular", like many Philadelphians. FYI...I am a native of South Florida, and have lived in Washington DC, North Carolina (RDU and Asheville), New York City, Philadelphia and now Central Florida (not by choice by the way, family illness) so I have a pretty good grasp (and interest) of varying ideas, cultures and diversity of people. Move along now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 09:05 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
You are quite the Philly cheerleader aren't you? And seemingly whenever anyone has anything negative to say about the city on this forum you appear to shout them down. I lived in Fishtown specifically (same zip code as Kensington) which has become one of the new darling neighborhoods that people like yourself love to get all gushy about as an example of how swell Philly is allegedly....as if neighborhood revitalization is a new discovery, though it is something novel I suppose when Philly is used as part of the conversation. In terms of insular viewpoints I would look for one of your grime and nicotine-encrusted mirrors and have a look-see at a real example as clearly the ignorance/lack of interest in any other city has placed you squarely within the definition of "insular", like many Philadelphians. FYI...I am a native of South Florida, and have lived in Washington DC, North Carolina (RDU and Asheville), New York City, Philadelphia and now Central Florida (not by choice by the way, family illness) so I have a pretty good grasp (and interest) of varying ideas, cultures and diversity of people. Move along now...

I have never really gushed about Fishtown. I think people move from Whitebread, Indiana to Fishtown and think it will be a smooth transition because both places are "white". But Fishtown is very much working class, urban and rough around the edges. It has seen tons of transplants recently but used to be a very insular hood, which you seemed to apply to the entirety of the 2nd largest city on The East Coast as such. Here in Germantown, my neighbors on either side of me are a couple of lesbian artists from somewhere in Iowa and a music teacher from New Orleans.

I just find it hard to take someones' opinion of a city seriously when all they ever have to say is negative things (and likewise positive). I am not so much a "cheerleader', but defender.

As for your personal attacks, tone down the hate. This is nothing serious or personal to me-just an outlet to talk about cities and politics. I actually agree with you on some other topics I've seen lol. Everyone's perspective is unique and I am grateful to have lived and understood a variety of different ones.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 02-25-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
And seemingly whenever anyone has anything negative to say about the city on this forum you appear to shout them down.
And why is the person making negative comments about Philly so often you?

Every city has its posters who troll the boards, looking for an opportunity to slam this or that city. Kyle - you are that person for Philly. So you're looking at CD one day and spot a thread titled "Which state is the most insular?" and think, I'm gonna post and nominate Philly. And I may as well include my usual snark. Seriously dude - Philly's not even a state. That's how transparent your posting methodology is.

The reality is that most people who have spent any time on CD can spot the hater. They are the ones who pipe up constantly claiming this or that city is a worthless hellhole. The unfortunate outcome is that sometimes within their posts, there may be a valid criticism. But when a poster never has a single positive thing to say about a city, their entire posts are just too easy to dismiss, just like with those of the homer who refuses to admit his or her city's has any flaw.

I am not sure what happened when you were here to scar you so deeply, so keep posting if you find it cathartic. Just don't expect of many of us to place a lot of credence in your words (if we even read them). Which is too bad - perhaps there is something of value hidden in there under all the bile.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
Probably Alaska even more so
^^^THIS^^^

Old 02-25-2014, 07:23 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
A good measure is the percentage of the state population that is foreign born as well as migration trends. Many states and regions are quite closed off and insular particularly when you factor in the widespread use of technology. Some of the most insular states would likely include: Maine, West Virginia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama, Montana, South Dakota, Ohio, and Missouri. All are more rural states or have or had lower levels of economic growth resulting in very few people moving into the state.
I would disagree because of the coal boom. Immigration into WV was a huge thing because mine work was attractive to European immigrants. A lot of WV "culture" has elements of Italian and even Eastern European.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
I agree though I would throw Philly into the mix as a strong contender. The city has seen some transplants over recent years but is overwhelmingly quite provincial and a majority of residents don't really travel other than maybe annual trips to "Philly-By-The Sea".....the Jersey Shore. *shudder*
Cute.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:00 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Pennsylvania is VERY insular. Both the Burgh and Philly have insular natives that have never left either Metro area, Philadelphia has natives that have never even been to NYC, Pittsburgh has many natives that's never even been outside of WPA let alone to OH or WV or even east of Harrisburg.

Both cities think the other is in another state, people have to remind themselves that the cities are both in PA. Now that's insular.

Both Cities have a Self-Defeating Pessimistic view of the Cities progression (I call it the "Everywhere's better than here" syndrome) even when data stares them right in the face. Pittsburgh it stems mostly from the Steel Collapse and the remaining "Yinzer" population. Philadelphia's not sure what it comes from, unless its the Corrupt Politics and History of High Crime.

The Rest of PA, well that just speaks for itself.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pennsylvania is VERY insular. Both the Burgh and Philly have insular natives that have never left either Metro area, Philadelphia has natives that have never even been to NYC, Pittsburgh has many natives that's never even been outside of WPA let alone to OH or WV or even east of Harrisburg.
While this is true, such insularity is not unique to Philly and Pittsburgh. It's probably a truism of just about everywhere. I've lived in several metros. I met Bostonians who had never been to NYC. I met Kansas City natives who had never been to St Louis. I met Houstonians who had never been to Dallas. And I've met Philadelphians who have never been to Pittsburgh.

I'm not debating you. I'm just not sure I see the point of this thread (though it's interesting to note that OP initiated a membership just to open it, and that remains his or her single post).

Old 03-01-2014, 12:56 AM

419 posts, read 551,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
.I've met a few folks from the Burgh who are like this and think Pittsburgh is the end all be all of cities.
You are 100% correct sir. It is THAT bad in Pittsburgh. All you have to do is read the propaganda spewed on the Pittsburgh forum. A lot of diehards that refuse to accept any criticism of Pittsburgh. There are some that will debate to death that the National Weather Service is factually wrong for stating that Pittsburgh receives only 59 clear sky sunshine days per year, one of the lowest in the nation.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:53 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Lots of smaller and/or inland metro areas in the Northeast are very insular. In many cases, most folks have never even left the Northeast, save, perhaps, a trip or two to Florida to visit the theme parks. Eek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.