Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:01 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times

Advertisements

In my very wide experience of travelling in the USA I have found that the country as a whole is very insular. It seem the vast majority of Americans are not well travelled, do not know or care much about what's happening outside of their own backyard and are in fact extremely provincial in their lives and their outlooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 08:33 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
In my very wide experience of travelling in the USA I have found that the country as a whole is very insular. It seem the vast majority of Americans are not well travelled, do not know or care much about what's happening outside of their own backyard and are in fact extremely provincial in their lives and their outlooks.
I think you are right, as people from other countries will know more about the USA than Americans will know about other countries.

As to the Interior Northeast comment, it depends on the people, as those areas have plenty of people with roots elsewhere or that are transient if they work in certain industries.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:04 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
I don't think that's fair -- there is definitely is fairly high degree of insularity in many countries. I will admit that for an affluent, Westernized country, Americans are not super well-traveled, but at least in the US you can find a lot more areas with a far more cosmopolitan population than almost every city around the world. Actually, I think a big part of the reason why many Americans are not necessarily inclined to travel abroad is trepidation -- America is not exactly popular in many countries; it carries a huge reputation -- either positive or negative -- much moreso than any other country.

I honestly do not get the common criticism of the US being insular when there is still so much mobility (approximate 12% of Americans move every year: About 36 Million Americans Moved in the Last Year, Census Bureau Reports - Mobility of the Population - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau) and immigration from every conceivable country -- there are very few other nations that can claim that type of worldwide influx.

Last edited by Duderino; 03-01-2014 at 09:12 AM..

Old 03-01-2014, 09:08 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
I guess this is kind of presumptuous but I used to test Americans I met along the way about basic facts regarding their own country. I was totally shocked at the ignorance that was so common. Many people did not even know all of the states that bordered their own. When it came to knowledge about the world in general it was just completely shocking the lack of it. Now, we are talking about insularity here and this lack of knowledge about other places, peoples or things in it's self is not insularity. The fact that these people did not care to know anything about anyone or anywhere else, now that's Insularity with a capital I!!!

Old 03-01-2014, 10:01 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,509 times
Quote:
I guess this is kind of presumptuous but I used to test Americans I met along the way about basic facts regarding their own country. I was totally shocked at the ignorance that was so common. Many people did not even know all of the states that bordered their own. When it came to knowledge about the world in general it was just completely shocking the lack of it. Now, we are talking about insularity here and this lack of knowledge about other places, peoples or things in it's self is not insularity. The fact that these people did not care to know anything about anyone or anywhere else, now that's Insularity with a capital I!!!
I agree entirely. To illustrate this further: go to Youtube, type in Mark Dice Petition, and you'll cringe at what people were signing for...

Old 03-02-2014, 10:56 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Alaska!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.