Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like living in the South?
I love it! 36 42.86%
It is okay. 16 19.05%
I hate it and I want to move back up North! 32 38.10%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 02:47 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah sure. Mobile has a high black population, so I'm sure all of the whites are running around in public places screaming about how they hate Obama.

When I'm in Mobile I seldom hear anyone in public discussing politics, in fact most people tend to avoid it since it can be a divisive subject. I think you see what you want to see.

I should have clarified, it was a Mobile downtown restaurant/bar with almost no black people in it at the time. I also got the same political diatribe from two patrons and a bartender in Destin, FL, a supposed tourist destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 02:50 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
From the poll it certainly seems like almost hafl that have moved there or are living there hate it, and want to move back. This whole move of Americans to the South is driven by weather and baby boomers. When they realize life there, many may move on probably to Florida or back up here. I know a guy at work his parents sold their condo on Hilton Head Island to move back closer to NJ.

And in the scheme of things, it really isn't all that warm down there. Atlanta goes well below freezing every winter and can be as brown and lifeless looking as up here in winter.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:47 PM

6 posts, read 102,469 times
Okay, redirect me if this isn't the right place to post this. We live in the north (central New York) but want to move down south. My wife loves the idea of the south that she's seen in movies like Steel Magnolias, but she doesn't know where a place like that might actually exist. We want to live on acres of land out in the country, but near a medium sized city, so I guess the southern charm and slow paced life of Steel Magnolias is more what she's looking for than the type of neighborhood they show. In a lot of these posts, people are generalizing the "south", not saying where exactly they are talking about. Can anybody suggest places down south that might match what we're looking for, and if such a place exists, would "Yankees" be a welcome addition to the area?

Old 02-06-2016, 01:56 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchft77 View Post
Okay, redirect me if this isn't the right place to post this. We live in the north (central New York) but want to move down south. My wife loves the idea of the south that she's seen in movies like Steel Magnolias, but she doesn't know where a place like that might actually exist. We want to live on acres of land out in the country, but near a medium sized city, so I guess the southern charm and slow paced life of Steel Magnolias is more what she's looking for than the type of neighborhood they show. In a lot of these posts, people are generalizing the "south", not saying where exactly they are talking about. Can anybody suggest places down south that might match what we're looking for, and if such a place exists, would "Yankees" be a welcome addition to the area?
Why don't you research Thomasville, Ga. I don't live there, but it has always appealed to me and I bet you will find it appealing also. As far as the "Yankee" thing, if they like you, they will jokingly call you Yankee, accept it and laugh about it. If they don't like you for some reason, they will also call you Yankee, accept it and correct your manners. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Steel Magnolias was filmed in Natchitoches, LA so I guess she could start there! LOL Or Jefferson, TX which is a town that always reminds me of Natchitoches. (That's pronounced "NA chi dis" by the way.)

Old 02-07-2016, 08:17 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
When you say medium-sized city, do you mean something around the size of Albany, NY? Or a little smaller?

Old 02-08-2016, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Interesting post. What town do you live in in E KY? My dad's family was from down there, some still live there others moved to Ohio or Central KY. Down there a progressive is someone who gets the grilled chicken sandwich at McDonald's. Hospitality is a way of life and the people are very friendly.
I live in Williamsburg.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 4,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
How much is religion part of the daily life or conversation? How anti-govt are the people? I visited Mobile AL in 2014, and 2015, and encountered so much hatred expressed in public for Obama and generally any progressive minded people I was shocked. I felt much more at home in Toronto than I did in Mobile, AL and that is a shame given Mobile happens to be in my own country. Something is wrong here.
I haven't been to Alabama, but I have experienced the same thing as the poster who commented on coworkers openly discussing bible verses at work. At my physical therapy place in Kentucky, patients and therapists regularly discuss the bible and the place often plays Christian music and has a bible in the lobby. This doesn't bother me at all (sometimes I join in the conversations), but I do find it super interesting how open people are about discussing religion and sometimes forcing it on others at work places down here. That would be normally be frowned up or considered inappropriate for a work place up north.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:38 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,930 times
[quote=757Cities Southsider;36057513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
For the last time

This is not the Civil War

Midwest/Great Lakes = Midwesterners. You can talk your American azz off.

Pacific NW = West Coast/ Pacific Northwesterners/ Cascadians

...as far as the rest of the Northwestern states (shrug).

And the East Coast has ALWAYS been FLA. to ME always has and always will be!
You forgot one

Northeast = Northeast..... not North.

By the way Minnesota is a very northern state. After all its nickname is "The North Star State". It's Fox Sports network channel is called FSN North.

Oh and check this out
Is Minnesota the 'North' or part of the Midwest? - CNN Video

Old 02-08-2016, 08:20 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The problem is that Michigan and Wisconsin are extremely far apart from the Northeast culturally that it forms its own cultural region.

I don't agree about Michigan. Michigan has a lot in common with NY. Education and good state universities are two things that cause lots of interaction between the two. Look on a map. They are not all that far apart.

I don't know about Wisconsin culture.

Ohio was a rabidly abolitionist state. The Midwest is a part of the North. We also have more diversity. The South, until recently, had mostly people of Scotch-Irish, and English ancestry, with a fairly large German population in Texas. Let's face it, the Latinos in the western South were here first, as were the indigenous people in all of the US. African Americans mostly came from the South during the Great Migration, but some never left - or have returned south.

The Northern states - from Maine to Minnesota - have French, Dutch, English, Irish, Albanian, Korean, Italian, Romanian, Lebanese, German, Polish, Slovak, Russian, Greek, Ukrainian, Chinese, Austrian, Hungarian, Norwegian, Philippine, Cuban, Swedish, Welsh, Danish, Serbian, Croatian, Puerto Rican, Icelandic, Moldovan, Israeli, Jamaican, Swedish, Czech, Lithuanian, Latvian and Estonian - and many others.

Some of these groups have been here as long as Southerners have. Some are still arriving.

The Northern States are diverse religiously. The South is the Bible Belt. There are 20 kinds of Baptists, Methodists - who are more conservative than Northern Methodists, independent fundamentalist churches, (non denominational Christian) some Roman Catholics and Presbyterians.

The North? Name a religion and we have it. We have those, plus Jews, Muslims, Quakers, Unitarians, United Church of Christ, Lutherans, Hindu, Evangelical Covenant, Episcopalian, CMA and more.

From Maine to Minnesota.

The South is unique and culturally apart from the rest of the US. Not a bad think. But true.

The Midwest is a part of the North. Just as the Mid Atlantic, and New England are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.