Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like living in the South?
I love it! 36 42.86%
It is okay. 16 19.05%
I hate it and I want to move back up North! 32 38.10%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times

Advertisements

[quote=757Cities Southsider;36042336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Well Kemba, it would be wise to take what "most people" on CD say and think with a grain of salt. Like everything else, some consider TX the South (in general) and yet many consider it the Southwest or its own place. Also I see you left out MD and DE...outside of CD many people still consider that the beginning of the South and aren't used to using the term Mid Atlantic, FOR ANY state or region. The census calls all three the South, why they do so is something they'll have to explain...as well as why is the Midwest still called the "Midwest". As someone mentioned before, most people live in the East and historically North and South was spoken from the point of view of people of the East...when we say we're goin "up top" that doesn't mean Minnesota. We do not reference them like we reference Northeasterners...especially Blackfolks. Everything isn't spoken of in some sense of Civil War jargin or outlook. West of Pitt, those are Midwesterners...from the Midwest/Great Lakes...they are not looked at or mentioned with the likes of Boston, Philly, NYC, Newark...maybe its just some East Coast ish.

I would imagine that the South is larger because of the luck of the draw and the shape of the country and development patterns. Why is TX and Cali as massive as they are and poor little DE and RI are how they are (shrugs)? Now while you said "many Southerners have a semi dislike for people from the Northeast...etc." I will attempt to give you an answer but know that each state has their OWN identity, especially in this day and time, and no so-called "Southerner" speaks for "Southerners." From my experience in other southern East Coast states and everywhere else (Ive been) really..."certain" people from the NYC tri-state area had ventured out making a bad name for the place since the "Urban Contemporary" cultural explosion in the past 40 some odd yrs. Arrogant loudmouth folks ruined certain cities' reps. Where Im from, NY is alright...they must show respect though...Philly is cooler...a lot of us are family...Boston/NE folks are a fairly new anomaly but between some of them and Jersey, they've had tendency to be what you would expect of reckless talking New Yorkers. Basically, in modern times if you go to someone elses home and run your mouth or/and whine whine whine, you leave a bad impression...regular citizens are turned off and street folks will/might "teach you a lesson" about "disrespekkin". DC cats used to HATE NY cats for a lot of the same reasons...loudmouth disrespect and arrogance...little to none/less problems outta folks from Philly though. Outside of that, some folks (I am Black btw) in the "South" have their own historical hang ups about folks up north I guess...I never heard anyone referred to as a yankee or yank unless it was someone from the islands or England referencing Americans in jest or the Bronx Bombers... but judging from this forum I see there are some "Southerners" from some Southern states who are into that type of thing. I don't personally feel any kinship with Midwesterners, I have family in Philly, some moved to S.Jerz then ended up in Charlotte or around here. My other family in Maryland is the same, family in Philly a small band in the Bronx with folks venturing out to ATL and SC. Im sure folks from Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas,Georgia and so forth will probably have a different take on it but as far as in my area most Midwesterners don't come here talkin ISH and many generally like it and are shocked about the "culture"...a lot of folks out that way can seem kinda "country" to us for lack of a better word...I wouldn't want to call them bammas but being on the East Coast can expose you to a lot more a lot faster than being in a "BIG CITY" that is NOT on the East Coast if youknowwhatImean. They are generally good people though and seem to look to want to learn their way and blend in, so maybe that is why.
For the last time:

North = Northeast + Midwest

Always has been, always will be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 05:31 PM

223 posts, read 300,192 times
Default North vs South

[quote=MassVt;36055539]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post

For the last time:

Absolutely! Also, let's not forget our friends in the Pacific Northwest too. This map should put to rest any question about states being in the North...if temperature has anything to do with it.http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvswoQPkhKrK6nn_sWkqmBGAtml4IGE iUreJ0gqDm51TLbruTL1A

Last edited by JMT; 08-19-2014 at 04:53 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 07:09 PM

867 posts, read 1,396,933 times
[quote=MassVt;36055539]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post

For the last time:

For the last time

This is not the Civil War

Midwest/Great Lakes = Midwesterners. You can talk your American azz off.

Pacific NW = West Coast/ Pacific Northwesterners/ Cascadians

...as far as the rest of the Northwestern states (shrug).

And the East Coast has ALWAYS been FLA. to ME always has and always will be!

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 08-12-2014 at 07:41 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 07:36 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Basically, any state in which most people use the word "y'all" instead of "you guys" is not a place I would want to live.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Basically, any state in which most people use the word "y'all" instead of "you guys" is not a place I would want to live.
Why? It's an elegant and easy way to state Second Person Plural. "You guys" is kind of an ugly and clumsy construction.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:07 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Well yeah. Conservative politics is just a way of life down here. To the Republican-majority down here, Obama represents "big government". Southerners are extremely proud of being independent, and the less federal government interference, the better.
The South seems to have no problem taking federal money at a greater rate than it contributes. Not sure I would call that independent.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:15 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Good to see there are many people who apparently don't practice what they preach in the way of tolerance.
A religious or anti-Obama billboard may not be everyones cup of tea, but it's great that people feel they have the freedom to put them up.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:21 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Good to see there are many people who apparently don't practice what they preach in the way of tolerance.
A religious or anti-Obama billboard may not be everyones cup of tea, but it's great that people feel they have the freedom to put them up.
It's not that I don't have tolerance for it, but it's telling of what many of the people may believe or think. Like most people, it's preferable to associate with people of similar views on the world.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:21 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,512 times
It's always so heartwarming to know that the civil war is still being fought, 150 years later, in C-D forums. Keep up the good work, y'all guys.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:26 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Sounds like you got your problems solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.