Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 02:14 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not, Detroit surprised me. I expected to see an overabundance of vacant, rundown areas of town and downtown was quite charming with activity to boot. Greektown took me by surprise.

Also, back in the day, when I first visited Chicago, I was pleasantly surprised at how clean it was as well as the friendliness of the people for such a large city.

Finally, Minneapolis. I had been under the impression that the Twin Cities area was completely flat. Not so. Many hills. Same goes for La Crosse, Wisconsin. Very hilly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 05:06 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Tucson: I was expecting it to be just another boring medium sized sprawl burg in the desert. It's surprisingly in a very beautiful valley surrounded by scenic mountains and saguaro cacti dotted hills. Downtown seems to be evolving with a new streetcar coming. The city feels eclectic and fairly historic with an old pueblo feel. The U of A campus is also quite attractive. Tucson's a nice city to visit for a weekend.
Tucson is very underrated, sort of hiding in the shadows of Phoenix to the north. Tucson kind of has a "vibe" to it that makes it very offbeat and sort of "unique" compared to corporate Phoenix. Lots of older buildings, lots of small mom-and-pop businesses (which are basically nonexistent in Phoenix), lots of local art, etc. No zoning, either, which makes Tucson look fairly odd on it's own.

When I first moved to Tucson it surprised me too, because I grew up thinking Tucson was some barren wasteland. I actually think Tucson is better than Phoenix in a lot of ways. Too bad Tucson can never live up to its potential.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
NYC I was young, naive and didn't have a clue what to expect. It was amazing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,599 times
Minneapolis.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
I could spend weeks in DC just going around to all of the historical places. I find it an amazing place.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:36 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Thanks for reminding me. I'd forgotten this. What makes it so good is that you don't have to go to fancy places to find good food in Nawlins like you might in NYC or somewhere else. Food in regular places was great. Every hole-in-the-wall, greasy spoon, or street vendor I ate from was absolutely delicious.
Agreed - I've really liked NOLA from the first time I visited 20+ years ago, and the food is a huge component of that. I've never had a bad meal in NOLA and that's after many random stops around town. Too bad it's so damn hot most of the time...and the inevitable sinking. A great place to visit.

Also agreed on Iowa's underrated beauty. There aren't any "major cities" there I guess, but others mentioned it as well...

Negative surprises: San Diego (the most ideal weather in the country cannot overcome this stilted/bland town with a large military presense) and Dallas (same complaints as most on here, I was excited to spend time there after passing the colorful downtown several times at night on trips through the area but it was very disappointing).

Positive: Ft Worth (real history, the best museum town in the South, understated with great food), Memphis (incredible culturally, like NOLA has great food, definitely gritty/dirty but makes up with it via its many charms) and NYC (unlike what everyone's told before visiting, people are very friendly! Literally endless activity! Worst part is the smell, which I think was mentioned above, but the positives heavily outweigh the negatives).

Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Milwaukee was the biggest surprise to me. I was expecting an outpost. Milwaukee is great.

Cincinnati is another one.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
None really, I have always been quite knowledgeable about what cities are like before visiting them and now that I have been to them all numerous times each there just is not much that surprises me.

Some smaller cities have been somewhat surprising. Grand Rapids, Providence, Greenville SC etc.

I think now the cities that surprise me the most are the ones that change the most since the last time I was there. Miami, Denver etc.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 PM

19 posts, read 44,722 times
I have traveled throughout most of the U.S. Nothing impressed me more than the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul).

The metro area is very clean with highly literate and health conscious population I've ever seen! I enjoy the lakes and the charming town of Stillwater. Public transportation and light rail are excellent to get around plus people are friendly.

It's just a perfect size for me without getting overwhelmed compared to Chicago and NYC.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:54 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Spokane, WA. I had low expectations but found it a clean and lively city with an abundance of park space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.