Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:55 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times

Advertisements

The city that surprised me the most was Philly. Instead if a run-down hood it is a really cool city with it's own vibe. It's the most underrated city I've been to. Don't know why it gets a bad rap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I think it might be the high violent crime rate. Much worse than NYC. Other than that, it's one of the best, especially considering the relatively low costs of living.

I think the city that surprised me most was San Diego, but only because it was the first Western city I'd lived in. I remember how odd the palm trees and the beige hills looked to me, an East Coast guy.

I would think this puts a lot of people off. The problem with Philly is that unlike say Chicago (very segregated), the really nasty ghetto parts of Philly historically surrounded the central city area. Some of that has changed recently, particularly south of the downtown. The areas north of the downtown are still mostly ghetto, and west of the downtown as well.

Simply put, Philly has too many urban poor that spend their time coming into the central core area to just hang out and roam around all day. I'm always surprised how during the middle of the workday you will see loads of able bodied adults roaming around. They obviously are not working as I'm talking about non lunch time hours.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

I think for Philly, many tourists walk through the few shady (but not dangerous) blocks on Market East between Old City and City Hall and see the methadone clinic patients, racist black Hebrew Israelites shouting from megaphones, Cash for Gold and Incense barterers which may be a turn-off for most tourists.

Yes, and all this takes place right downtown. Face it, Philly has a huge poor minority population right adjacent to the downtown. And as I said above, those folks pour into the city every day to roam around and just hang out.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
if you've been away from DC for a long period of time and return, you're amazed at how gentrified and rich it has become. It really hits you what the growth of the federal government, particularly the money in the military industrial complex, and the incredible growth of the private sector with the explosion of lobbyists what has changed DC: much wealthier city than ever, most wealthy metro. DC has been transformed.

And almost entirely because of the huge expansion of the Fed Govt. Years ago it was not nearly as impressive. They didn't even have a subway until the 1970's. And now courtesy of the tax money from Americans living in every state they have a great transit system.

We are all paying for DC, yet the people there are some of the most snobbish, obnoxious types you will meet anywhere.

Shrink down the Fed Govt and DC will shrink. The whole industry there is related to the Fed Govt.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:24 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes, and all this takes place right downtown. Face it, Philly has a huge poor minority population right adjacent to the downtown. And as I said above, those folks pour into the city every day to roam around and just hang out.
Philly has a similar poverty rate to Houston and Chicago, albeit slightly higher. NYC also has over 20% of the population fall under the federal poverty guide line and it is the most expensive city in the nation. There are also poor whites in Philly-don't know why you specify minorities.

Besides, why can't they hang out downtown? It's their city-not yours.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well I for one have walked through the tenderloin from Union - recently (well about a year ago) stayed in a hotel in Union and walked through the loin to get to AiasSF (probably a tourist trap but fun none-the-less)

Weather was decent and also walked home but used Market instead to get down to closer to Union Sq

Its sort of ironic that Market in SF (and believe the namesake actually comes from Philly's Market Street if my memory serves me correctly) that the two have similarities. Above Powell is a little Seedy like we call Market East and below Powell is more CBDish like Market West here - just always found this ironic in a way.

The loin isn't all that bad - but then again I come at with a Philly perspective be that as it may - though my GF spend considerable time in SF now and I always remind her not to venture through the loin at night solo as she often stays at the Palomar and ventures out as a foodie - sometimes that direction, when I go with I dont worry about it that much but also dont spend a lot of time there

also agree mostly on your tourist assessment - if going to GGP etc. its too difficult to walk in general (though can be done from Union) so most don't walk though and also agree that Japantown has no significant tourist appeal

I visited SF from Philly in the 90's and was floored. SF impressed me so much with all the walkable safe neighborhoods compared to Philly back then. The city seemed so clean and tropical looking with all the lush foliage in the gardens. I was there in April and never saw fog and it was warm and sunny every day.

Great city. When returning to Philly back then it was so depressing arriving back here.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Philly has a similar poverty rate to Houston and Chicago, albeit slightly higher. NYC also has over 20% of the population fall under the federal poverty guide line and it is the most expensive city in the nation. There are also poor whites in Philly-don't know why you specify minorities.

Besides, why can't they hang out downtown? It's their city-not yours.

Lol, I own my own home in Philly, and live and work here. It is just as much mine as theirs.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Lol, I own my own home in Philly, and live and work here. It is just as much mine as theirs.
Haha-fine then, feel free to criticize.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:37 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Boston seemed to be easier to get around by car than I thought it would be and felt like it is very accessible for a major metro.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:57 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
The problem with Philly is that unlike say Chicago (very segregated), the really nasty ghetto parts of Philly historically surrounded the central city area. Some of that has changed recently, particularly south of the downtown. The areas north of the downtown are still mostly ghetto, and west of the downtown as well.
I guess it depends on your designation of downtown. I see pretty nearly complete gentrification in all directions from Center City. As you acknowledge, the south is pretty expensive (e.g., $850,000 townshomes are being being built just a block from friends we visit in Graduate Hospital). To the west is booming University City, to the northwest is the BF Parkway and the Fairmount neighborhoods and to the northeast is Northern Liberties. All pretty pricey nabs right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.