Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Corny humor moment. I apologized to the person I was replying to last night.
Alright cool...I'll save my Salinas jokes for another thread apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 01:26 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Alright cool...I'll save my Salinas jokes for another thread apparently.
Don't hold back. I've shared a few with friends (been here 12 years; not born here). Thanks.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:09 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,505,688 times
I guess it depends where you live as to how you determine the definition of Gondola. In the Providence/Boston area and Italy it's a boat. In Portland, Or. I never heard the term Gondola, but I heard Cable Car for the one that goes from the riverfront to OHSU.

Yes there has been some confusion on the use of the word Gondola on this forum.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:16 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
The Roosevelt Island Tram is the only existing urban aerial tram/gondola I can think of in an urban setting. There was a proposal to develop one connecting Governors Island to both Manhattan and Brooklyn a few years ago (design concept by Calatrava, featuring apple-shaped cars), but I think that idea evaporated.
Bloomberg: I wanted air

Old 03-05-2014, 03:11 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
I think an Aerial Gondola can work in some cities opposed to others. In Seattle I think it could be extremely useful. Seattle is growing rapidly and needs a new solution to traveling downtown. Parking downtown is a nightmare and traffic in and out of the city can be brutal. For years they keep talking about making the city more eco-friendly and reducing use of cars but have done little outside of the main downtown area to make any real impact so far. I think a network of Gondolas connecting Fremont to Queen Anne, Queen Anne to Seattle Center; Capitol Hill to SLU and So on and so forth could be a cheaper efficient way of more people around the city. Reduce the need to use cars to get around the city as well as heading towards a greener direction in transportation. If the network was constructed so most people could get around the city using the Gondola, Street Cars and light rail the maneuver through the city without trouble then it would be perfect.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I guess it depends where you live as to how you determine the definition of Gondola. In the Providence/Boston area and Italy it's a boat. In Portland, Or. I never heard the term Gondola, but I heard Cable Car for the one that goes from the riverfront to OHSU.

Yes there has been some confusion on the use of the word Gondola on this forum.
Add New York and New Jersey to that. I had no clue we were talking about (hanging) cable cars. When I hear gondola I think Venice and boats.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Add New York and New Jersey to that. I had no clue we were talking about (hanging) cable cars. When I hear gondola I think Venice and boats.

Yes I forgot about your area also. It's a Northeast thing I guess. I read a number of the posts before I realized, they were not talking about the Italian boats.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:58 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Some planners in Montreal entertained this idea as well but it became nothing more than a pipedream. Not sure how far this idea would go in Seattle.
//www.city-data.com/forum/montr...l-gondola.html
The one difference between Seattle's gondola project and other cities is Seattle's is already fully funded.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:54 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I think an Aerial Gondola can work in some cities opposed to others. In Seattle I think it could be extremely useful. Seattle is growing rapidly and needs a new solution to traveling downtown. Parking downtown is a nightmare and traffic in and out of the city can be brutal. For years they keep talking about making the city more eco-friendly and reducing use of cars but have done little outside of the main downtown area to make any real impact so far. I think a network of Gondolas connecting Fremont to Queen Anne, Queen Anne to Seattle Center; Capitol Hill to SLU and So on and so forth could be a cheaper efficient way of more people around the city. Reduce the need to use cars to get around the city as well as heading towards a greener direction in transportation. If the network was constructed so most people could get around the city using the Gondola, Street Cars and light rail the maneuver through the city without trouble then it would be perfect.
But wouldn't that be a NIMBY nightmare with gondolas going between all those residential neighborhoods in Seattle? That would surely ruffle some feathers and could be disruptive to quite a bit of property.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:55 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
But wouldn't that be a NIMBY nightmare with gondolas going between all those residential neighborhoods in Seattle? That would surely ruffle some feathers and could be disruptive to quite a bit of property.
NIMBY - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thought the discription of all they are opposed to was hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.