Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 03:50 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
For YOU, sure.
*curious* How so? Is the flip side of this retort that it worked out better for you that it did occur? Can you explain that one...?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
=NCN;34204499]I see you don't like the truth. Don't you think it is time to look forward. You had a lot more in that post than the 150 years ago statement. I was only agreeing to that statement. I think we would be in a much better place if the Civil War of Northern Aggression had never happened.

If more people in the USA would use their brains when they vote instead of drinking the Kool Aid, we would be in much better condition. Corruption never results in anything than more corruption. Not my fault. You're the one that is advocating more corruption. What many don't like is that we are stopping some of the corruption. That's a good thing. Instead of trashing our legislature, you should see it as an example to follow.

Our South has never been anything like a Banana Republic. False rude statement on your part.

Hey, NCN? Just to mention, it is a waste of time to reply to this guy. He thrives on it...the attention getting. He has a pathological hatred for the South and all things associated.

In fact, if one reads his posting history, he pretty much has a supercilious hostility/hate, for just about everything and everybody, so the South and Southerners really need not feel singled out.

Of course, not that his opinion matters anyway, but one could get the same type repetitive rants from just about any unknown undergrad!

Old 04-03-2014, 06:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I would ask you this question. Where were the top university professors in your state or colleges during this debate? Did they weigh in on this, or is everyone in your state on board with this kind of religious stupidity?

These kind of news stories seep out into the national press, and then the rest of the country wonders what the heck is going on. Europeans also seize on this stuff as proof of how backward and crazy not only the US but in particular the South is. Aren't you guys embarrassed enough to just vote out these wack jobs?

I wonder what the philandering cheat of a congressman Mark Sanford thinks. Wan't he supposedly highly educated, lol.

I hear the same thing is going on in North Carolina where the right wing took over the state (in response to Obama's election mind you), and the two dimwit legislators tried to push a Bill to allow a state religion (Christianity of course). These two idiots also believed the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to their state.

Sometimes many of us up here in the North wonder why the heck we even bothered to force you guys into a nation with us 150 years ago. I'm pretty sure there would be large numbers on both sides happier today if we just let the South go off and become the slave empire banana republic it desperately wanted to be.

First Amendment doesn't apply here: N.C. lawmakers push bill for state religion - U.S. News
Well, I'm officially done reading anything else you post on this site. Nonsense like this just isn't worth scrolling over.

Last edited by Newsboy; 04-03-2014 at 07:04 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Are you me? No. I'm Christian. And I'm gay. Next question?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:07 PM

181 posts, read 218,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
If the Catholic church focused more on the Bible (gospel) rather than ritual and rules, don't you think that more Catholics would understand exactly what it is they're supposed to believe?
Although I am not Catholic, I'd say that "ritual" and "rules" are not completely bad things. Even atheists follow rituals, though they are mostly secular rituals (birthday celebrations, graduation celebrations, weddings, funerals, etc.). Rules provide a guideline. Every church has rules. Even Protestant churches, however unwritten. I'd argue that etiquette is a code of ethics that governs how people should and should not behave. In some churches, women cover their heads, and men uncover them. It may not be expressly stated, but it's just a personal/cultural way to show reverence or respect. Your viewpoint is firmly grounded in sola scriptura, a doctrine that came out of the Protestant Reformation. In older Christian denominations and in mainstream/rabbinical Judaism, there is no such thing as sola scriptura. Now, I am not going to comment on whether sola scriptura is a true or false doctrine, but I think Protestants (like yourself) should understand this, if they want to communicate peacefully with people from older religious traditions.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:51 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,893,642 times
Is it snub? Does the buckle chafe? Is it real leather?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:09 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That is such BS. People are much less likely to have missionaries come to their door in areas where the Mormon population is in the majority (such as Utah and southern Idaho) than in other parts of the country. Mormon missionaries almost never go door to door in Utah. There's no need for them to.
Well they did when I lived in Riverton, Utah about 20 years ago. My family was literally the only non-Mormon family in the neighborhood and we had more than a few knock on our door at least every other day. After it was obvious that we were not going to convert the whole neighborhood practically shunned us.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDweller View Post
As a child, I lived for three years in New Orleans, Louisiana, before moving to Baltimore, Maryland (aka a border state during the Civil War). In my experience, living in the South feels very much like living in the North, but it's hotter, and there's a Mardi Gras parade every year. We also went to the zoo every summer. There was one time when a hurricane almost struck New Orleans but missed completely and diverged toward the East; we nevertheless escaped to Texas and found refuge in a friend's home. We also went to a zoo in Texas.
Being a native to the midwest and having spent the last 4 years of my life in Mississippi I feel I'm qualified to give an accurate description on it.

- Church is central. If you don't go to church people are not likely to trust you. Mississippi has more churches per capita than any other state in the nation. Baptist churches are very common along with Presbyterian and Methodist. Catholics are extremely rare, unless you're on the Gulf Coast.

- Rural activities are huge here. Riding dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, pick up trucks with lift kits that go mud riding on back trails, hunting, camping, fishing, bonfires, duck hunting, etc are all very popular and common here. It's not uncommon to see a guy in cammo hunting gear sitting down at the local Olive Garden.

- Style is not as caught up here as it is with the rest of the country. If you're a guy, good chances are your daily clothing will consist of blue jeans and a t-shirt, maybe a solid button down for the occassional night out to eat. Women here have an interesting sense of fashion. The middle class and upper middle class women who obviously have money are often very fitness oriented. So fitness oriented in fact that they will wear their gym clothes everywhere they go...I see women shopping at the mall, at the grocery store, at the coffee shop, out to eat, in gym clothes. Short shorts, gym shirt, etc.

- People are generally content with the way things are. There isn't much desire to change here. It's this kind of mindset that keeps a lot of people from setting lofty goals and fulfilling them. Because of this many people are all but too content to settle for less.

- There is a very fond patriotism amongst southerners that is difficult to find anywhere else. Even though they were part of the confederacy 150 years ago, it's tough to find Americans who love their country more. I think the north and the coasts are full of more American naysayers than the south is.

- Having listed all of these points, not all southerners fall into these categories. I see a great change in the youth here. Many young southern people are still very into their church, but are also very supportive of gay rights and civil rights. Racism here is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. You'll probably find more racism in Detroit or Chicago than here.

- Southerners really are very friendly people. I have had the pleasure of meeting a lot of them, and there is truth to that old adage about southern hospitality. People are very welcoming and friendly, all too eager to talk to you about anything under the sun or lend a hand if they can.

- Fact. Mississippi's citizens give more money to charities per capita than any other state.

Hope this was informative.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:28 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I would ask you this question. Where were the top university professors in your state or colleges during this debate? Did they weigh in on this, or is everyone in your state on board with this kind of religious stupidity?

These kind of news stories seep out into the national press, and then the rest of the country wonders what the heck is going on. Europeans also seize on this stuff as proof of how backward and crazy not only the US but in particular the South is. Aren't you guys embarrassed enough to just vote out these wack jobs?

I wonder what the philandering cheat of a congressman Mark Sanford thinks. Wan't he supposedly highly educated, lol.

I hear the same thing is going on in North Carolina where the right wing took over the state (in response to Obama's election mind you), and the two dimwit legislators tried to push a Bill to allow a state religion (Christianity of course). These two idiots also believed the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to their state.

Sometimes many of us up here in the North wonder why the heck we even bothered to force you guys into a nation with us 150 years ago. I'm pretty sure there would be large numbers on both sides happier today if we just let the South go off and become the slave empire banana republic it desperately wanted to be.

First Amendment doesn't apply here: N.C. lawmakers push bill for state religion - U.S. News
This kind of blind ignorance is pretty sickening. There are over 90 million people living in the southern states and you're pulling them all under one blanketed comment like that? Incredibly ignorant.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Being a native to the midwest and having spent the last 4 years of my life in Mississippi I feel I'm qualified to give an accurate description on it.

- Church is central. If you don't go to church people are not likely to trust you. Mississippi has more churches per capita than any other state in the nation. Baptist churches are very common along with Presbyterian and Methodist. Catholics are extremely rare, unless you're on the Gulf Coast.

- Rural activities are huge here. Riding dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, pick up trucks with lift kits that go mud riding on back trails, hunting, camping, fishing, bonfires, duck hunting, etc are all very popular and common here. It's not uncommon to see a guy in cammo hunting gear sitting down at the local Olive Garden.

- Style is not as caught up here as it is with the rest of the country. If you're a guy, good chances are your daily clothing will consist of blue jeans and a t-shirt, maybe a solid button down for the occassional night out to eat. Women here have an interesting sense of fashion. The middle class and upper middle class women who obviously have money are often very fitness oriented. So fitness oriented in fact that they will wear their gym clothes everywhere they go...I see women shopping at the mall, at the grocery store, at the coffee shop, out to eat, in gym clothes. Short shorts, gym shirt, etc.

- People are generally content with the way things are. There isn't much desire to change here. It's this kind of mindset that keeps a lot of people from setting lofty goals and fulfilling them. Because of this many people are all but too content to settle for less.

- There is a very fond patriotism amongst southerners that is difficult to find anywhere else. Even though they were part of the confederacy 150 years ago, it's tough to find Americans who love their country more. I think the north and the coasts are full of more American naysayers than the south is.

- Having listed all of these points, not all southerners fall into these categories. I see a great change in the youth here. Many young southern people are still very into their church, but are also very supportive of gay rights and civil rights. Racism here is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. You'll probably find more racism in Detroit or Chicago than here.

- Southerners really are very friendly people. I have had the pleasure of meeting a lot of them, and there is truth to that old adage about southern hospitality. People are very welcoming and friendly, all too eager to talk to you about anything under the sun or lend a hand if they can.

- Fact. Mississippi's citizens give more money to charities per capita than any other state.

Hope this was informative.
^^^ THIS is where many people underestimate the South. Some people on this thread (and indeed, through out the c-D site and the country in general) still want to believe that the South is just like it always was -- pick an era! But the truth is, millions of young people who were BORN AND RAISED in the South are NOTHING like the images historically portrayed on TV and in film: They dress, talk, act, think and dream just like kids throughout the rest of the country. You can thank the Internet for a lot of that, but it's also simply a matter of changing times. I never, ever EVER hear a Southern accent come out of the mouth of a young person anymore -- NEVER! They all sound alike ... brah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.