Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The def of liberal in the South is very diff than up here.
You said Democratic, not liberal. The two terms are far from interchangeable.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:53 AM

16,559 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When the U.S. President already announced 2 years ago that he is pro- legalizing gay marriage, that ship has sailed and I consider it to be a non-issue for all practical purposes.

That was straight from the horse's mouth. The rest of the states just have to accept this as reality.
If you think that conservative states will "just have to accept this [gay marriage] as reality" for the sole reason that President Obama said that he's in favor of it . . . all I can conclude is that you are woefully unaware of how conservatives feel about Obama and his pronouncements.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:16 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If you think that conservative states will "just have to accept this [gay marriage] as reality" for the sole reason that President Obama said that he's in favor of it . . . all I can conclude is that you are woefully unaware of how conservatives feel about Obama and his pronouncements.
I am aware, but it is a middle of the road position in America today. Plus, this particular issue is fast approaching a tipping point nationwide. 16 states which represent 36% of the U.S. population already issue gay marriage licenses. Other states (including a big one - Texas) have cases pending appeal. The dominos are falling fairly quickly.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
I am aware, but it is a middle of the road position in America today. Plus, this particular issue is fast approaching a tipping point nationwide. 16 states which represent 36% of the U.S. population already issue gay marriage licenses. Other states (including a big one - Texas) have cases pending appeal. The dominos are falling fairly quickly.
Exactly. Like many other issues, the marriage equality issue is a dying battle for conservatives. As the older anti-gay hateful generation dies, it will only get better for the gay community.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 AM

16,559 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Yes, and in some of those states, those licenses are being issued because a court ordered them to be, often in direct contradiction to the expressed will of the voters of those states. The dominoes may be falling, but not necessarily because "we the people" want them to fall.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:35 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another vagabond View Post
In order from most to least likely

OKC
Jackson
Jacksonville
Memphis
Birmingham
Virginia Beach
Phoenix
Jacksonville????

There are roughly 530,000 registered voters (out of nearly 900,000 residents) in Jacksonville. Approximately 44 percent are Democrats while 37 percent are Republicans. Romney won Jacksonville by less than 5% in 2012. I wouldn't call either of those statistics extreme right-wing in nature. Nice try at perpetuating a stereotype though!

Old 03-20-2014, 12:51 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,623 times
You should be able to look up arc gis 2008 election by precinct and go to the first link to view a map without needing to sign up (I never had to). You can also go to state and county board of election pages and go to election history to find more. Like I said, there may be some liberal areas in these metro areas, but you won't find any mid 80's to lower 90's voting conservative areas in Phoenix or even Cinncinati or Indianapolis (you may find a few in the upper 70's but that is about it). Also take into consideration that a good number of the democrat voting areas in the deep south are majority minority areas and also socially conservative. There was a map done by Daily Kos a while back of us counties by percent white for President Obama in 2008 and large swaths of the deep south (including suburban counties in GA and LA had white votes of less than 10 percent). Heck, several had less than 4 percent.

Last edited by thedudewiththeplan; 03-20-2014 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 02:13 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Jacksonville????

There are roughly 530,000 registered voters (out of nearly 900,000 residents) in Jacksonville. Approximately 44 percent are Democrats while 37 percent are Republicans. Romney won Jacksonville by less than 5% in 2012. I wouldn't call either of those statistics extreme right-wing in nature. Nice try at perpetuating a stereotype though!
Extreme right-wing? No. But Jacksonville is an anomaly in that most core counties of sizable Southern metros at least go blue in national elections. All of metro Jacksonville is red though, including Duval.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:25 PM

525 posts, read 719,856 times
Okla. City, OK
Tulsa, OK
Jackson, MS
Birmingham, AL
Knoxville, TN
Virginia Beach, VA
Indianapolis, IN
Kansas City, KS-MO
Wichita, KS

Even my hometown Monroe, LA (Duck Dynasty and Phil Robertson didn't exactly help with the city's image)

I saw one post saying that New Orleans is conservative. That's definitely not true. It's the opposite from the rest of Louisiana.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:32 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
You should be able to look up arc gis 2008 election by precinct and go to the first link to view a map without needing to sign up (I never had to). You can also go to state and county board of election pages and go to election history to find more. Like I said, there may be some liberal areas in these metro areas, but you won't find any mid 80's to lower 90's voting conservative areas in Phoenix or even Cinncinati or Indianapolis (you may find a few in the upper 70's but that is about it). Also take into consideration that a good number of the democrat voting areas in the deep south are majority minority areas and also socially conservative. There was a map done by Daily Kos a while back of us counties by percent white for President Obama in 2008 and large swaths of the deep south (including suburban counties in GA and LA had white votes of less than 10 percent). Heck, several had less than 4 percent.
Alright, I found the data you were looking at, though too bad they don't have the 2012 data since there were some changes. But still like I keep saying when you take the whole metro area into account, those metros are not that conservative. I mean for all those 75%+ precincts in Metairie, the parish as a whole only had 62.5% for McCain (58.2% for Romney in 2012). I bet you could find some other metro areas voting in the mid 80's and up for conservatives in other metros, New York City has them (Brooklyn where I think the Orthodox Jews live). Even if a lot of minorities are socially conservative, they would never fit the title of "extreme right wing conservatives" that this thread it looking for but of course even a lot of republican voting people would not fit that title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.