Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:46 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times

Advertisements

oakparkdude nailed it above. walkscore is far from perfect, but it is fairly useful if you break down the neighborhoods. and zip car is an excellent indicator as well.

As for the largest carless households, it's cool but also a bit deceiving. Some cities have far more impoverished communities that can't afford cars than middle class who choose to live carless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 05:53 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
oakparkdude nailed it above. walkscore is far from perfect, but it is fairly useful if you break down the neighborhoods. and zip car is an excellent indicator as well.

As for the largest carless households, it's cool but also a bit deceiving. Some cities have far more impoverished communities that can't afford cars than middle class who choose to live carless.
I don't think the last statement makes complete sense. A lot of it has to do with a college presence or just a matter of room or the lack thereof for a car.

Here's another article: The Most Walkable Cities and How Some Are Making Strides

and another: Where Do Most Commuters Walk to Work?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-24-2014 at 06:02 AM..

Old 03-24-2014, 10:07 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
Sorry I wasn't very clear. I've been spending less time on CD and therefore rushing through my posts much more quickly than before.

My point is that in many cases households have no car because they can't afford one, not because they would choose to be carless. Like great public transit seeks "choice riders," these cities don't have as many "choice carless." Of course there is a percentage of those households in every city, but for a number of the cities on that list (Detroit, Miami, New Orleans, Gary, East LA, just to name a few) I'd bet that the majority of the carless households aren't so by choice.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,974 times
Me and my girlfriend of 5 years just made a very similar move after she graduated college (im 23 shes 22) from the south chicago suburbs to Austin, Texas and we absolutely love it so far. I would consider it...one of the fastest growing areas in the country, access to Dallas-Houston-San Antonio, Ocean is not overly far away, warm weather all year round, low unemployment, rated one of the safest large cities in the country, plenty of amenities, awesome night life, U of Texas campus, awesome scenery and access to nature (hills, rivers, lakes) and a great clash of locals/people who moved here from somewhere else. Tons of people from Cali-Illinois-northeast-Florida. Makes it a very unique place.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:53 PM

18 posts, read 16,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Me and my girlfriend of 5 years just made a very similar move after she graduated college (im 23 shes 22) from the south chicago suburbs to Austin, Texas and we absolutely love it so far. I would consider it...one of the fastest growing areas in the country, access to Dallas-Houston-San Antonio, Ocean is not overly far away, warm weather all year round, low unemployment, rated one of the safest large cities in the country, plenty of amenities, awesome night life, U of Texas campus, awesome scenery and access to nature (hills, rivers, lakes) and a great clash of locals/people who moved here from somewhere else. Tons of people from Cali-Illinois-northeast-Florida. Makes it a very unique place.
We've considered Austin as we've heard it's kind of an unknown enclave for artsy types. My bf is really concerned about avoiding heat though (the Midwest gets really humid in the summer as I'm sure you know). I'm assuming Austin would be worse or is that incorrect?

Old 03-26-2014, 03:05 PM

The city is very "artsy", plenty of "hipsters", and the self proclaimed "music capital of the world" where on any given night there are over 100 venues playing live music. It really just depends as far as weather. In Chicago it gets extremely humid..so it may be only 85-90 but it will feel 10 degrees warmer. The humidity isnt nearly as bad here...but make no mistake it will be hot. The difference for us was that we would rather take the heat for 3-4 months (where you can swim etc) over the freezing cold. Plus in the winter in Chicago there is no relief in winter whether its the morning, afternoon, or night. Here at least in the summer there is some relief during the heat in the morning and night.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:17 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
Quote:
The city is very "artsy", plenty of "hipsters", and the self proclaimed "music capital of the world" where on any given night there are over 100 venues playing live music. It really just depends as far as weather. In Chicago it gets extremely humid..so it may be only 85-90 but it will feel 10 degrees warmer. The humidity isnt nearly as bad here...but make no mistake it will be hot. The difference for us was that we would rather take the heat for 3-4 months (where you can swim etc) over the freezing cold. Plus in the winter in Chicago there is no relief in winter whether its the morning, afternoon, or night. Here at least in the summer there is some relief during the heat in the morning and night.
How common is it to go car-free in Austin?

Old 03-26-2014, 08:31 PM

How car-centric is your city? Public transit ranked

They are talking about a rail system as well. Austin, as with the rest of Texas cities, loves our vehicles. It is however not a necessity depending on where you work, and live. If you live downtown you most likely wouldnt need a car. But for me I cant imagine not wanting/needing a car in Austin, Chicago or wherever. I never used public transportation in Chicago. But Austin is in the process of improving its public transportation...and it needs to do it fast because thousands move here weekly and the roads are already packed!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Cleveland could be another possibility.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:45 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
Quote:
How car-centric is your city? Public transit ranked

They are talking about a rail system as well. Austin, as with the rest of Texas cities, loves our vehicles. It is however not a necessity depending on where you work, and live. If you live downtown you most likely wouldnt need a car. But for me I cant imagine not wanting/needing a car in Austin, Chicago or wherever. I never used public transportation in Chicago. But Austin is in the process of improving its public transportation...and it needs to do it fast because thousands move here weekly and the roads are already packed!
If I were in my early twenties living in Chicago, I'd strongly consider going car-free. The financial incentives are simply too compelling to ignore. Also, the presence of bike-sharing (Divvy bikes), car-sharing (I-go and zip car), and smartphone apps which tell you when the next train or bus will arrive make car-free living a lot more convenient than 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.