Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 10:48 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
OK is technically the South
Geographically, no doubt about it. Oklahoma is definitely in the south. The culture is mainly mid western though with a some southern thrown in for good measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:50 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Geographically, no doubt about it. Oklahoma is definitely in the south. The culture is mainly mid western though with a some southern thrown in for good measure.
Historically, even. It was Confederate even if it wasn't technically part of the the nation. Culture wise, how is it Midwestern?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
I can only aspire.
Oh but you're doing such a good job young grasshopper

In due time, you'll be a pretty good reverse-psychological instigator as well hehe

Old 10-24-2014, 11:48 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Historically, even. It was Confederate even if it wasn't technically part of the the nation. Culture wise, how is it Midwestern?
The influence from the Great Plains (some debate whether or not the GP states are actually Midwestern). Dallas shares that influence as well.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:18 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
The influence from the Great Plains (some debate whether or not the GP states are actually Midwestern). Dallas shares that influence as well.
This pretty much is what I was going to say. Really, it depends on what part of the state you're in. Western OK is Great Plains territory and has little in common with the south, while central and eastern OK have more culturally in common with the south.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:40 AM

320 posts, read 578,608 times
NC and VA have no common bond with the rest of the south during college football season.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:37 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Historically, even. It was Confederate even if it wasn't technically part of the the nation.
This is one of the biggest fallacies concerning Oklahoma. While it is technically true that all the tribes signed agreements with the confederacy, only the Choctaws and the Chickasaws were solidly confederate. The other tribes were split. There was more civilian loss of life in the Indian territory per capita than in any other state due to the infighting among the tribes. Ultimately, many of the tribe members literally switched sides when it was clear that the Union was going to win the war.

For the most part, the Creeks, Cherokee, and Seminoles were trying to figure out what stance to take based on what would be in their best interest following the war.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:51 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
This pretty much is what I was going to say. Really, it depends on what part of the state you're in. Western OK is Great Plains territory and has little in common with the south, while central and eastern OK have more culturally in common with the south.
Well I'll have to disagree. But I've never been to OK and have no desire to go. But people I've met from OK have Southern-like accents and Midwesterners tend not to sound like this.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:54 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
NC and VA have no common bond with the rest of the south during college football season.
True for the most part, but NC and VA teams still play teams like Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Florida State. The majority of the ACC teams are in the south, and ACC teams also play SEC teams in football occasionally. Can a South Carolinian clarify, how big is Clemson compared to USC in the state of South Carolina as a whole? Seems like Clemson is bigger, but maybe I'm wrong. However, in North Carolina around Raleigh, seems like a ton of people pull for Clemson. With the exception of the NC ACC teams, I feel like Clemson is the most popular ACC team in my area of North Carolina. You'll see Virginia and Virginia Tech fans on occasion, but I notice MANY Clemson fans.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:14 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
True for the most part, but NC and VA teams still play teams like Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Florida State. The majority of the ACC teams are in the south, and ACC teams also play SEC teams in football occasionally. Can a South Carolinian clarify, how big is Clemson compared to USC in the state of South Carolina as a whole? Seems like Clemson is bigger, but maybe I'm wrong. However, in North Carolina around Raleigh, seems like a ton of people pull for Clemson. With the exception of the NC ACC teams, I feel like Clemson is the most popular ACC team in my area of North Carolina. You'll see Virginia and Virginia Tech fans on occasion, but I notice MANY Clemson fans.
Clemson probably has a slightly bigger fan base as it has always served as the agricultural school in a historically agrarian state, while USC was viewed as the "city" school. But the advantage isn't that big and it feels more like a 50/50 split.

Interestingly, USC was a founding member of the ACC and had it stayed, SC would have also been without an SEC team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.