Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 08:32 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I'm in Southwest Louisiana and we have 3 of them. They are relatively popular but I'd argue that it's more trendy than anything else. I like CCs Community myself. There's also a local coffee shop that recently opened up that I frequent (though obviously not right now as we are quarantined).
Starbucks exists in the Baton Rouge area but isn't as popular as CCs and PJ's. Here in Denham Springs CCs is much more popular, even gas station and Circle K coffee is more popular than Starbucks. Even other major suburbs like Zachary, Central, Walker and Port Allen don't have Starbucks.

When I lived in Charleston, West Virginia there was only ONE Starbucks in the entire metro area.

Even on the East Coast its mostly a upper middle class thing. There were very few Starbucks in eastern Baltimore County for example. When I lived in the Baltimore area I was at least 20 minutes from the nearest Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 09:44 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Starbucks exists in the Baton Rouge area but isn't as popular as CCs and PJ's. Here in Denham Springs CCs is much more popular, even gas station and Circle K coffee is more popular than Starbucks. Even other major suburbs like Zachary, Central, Walker and Port Allen don't have Starbucks.

When I lived in Charleston, West Virginia there was only ONE Starbucks in the entire metro area.

Even on the East Coast its mostly a upper middle class thing. There were very few Starbucks in eastern Baltimore County for example. When I lived in the Baltimore area I was at least 20 minutes from the nearest Starbucks.
I'm in Lake Charles. We initially had a CCs Community Coffee/Meches Donuts on Ryan Street, near McNeese State University that opened up where a cafe stood. However due to crappy management it shut down. That being said, CC's reopened some years later on Country Club road.

I still don't know why the hell we need so many Starbucks stores. We actually have FIVE Starbucks stores if one thinks about it. One across the street from the Mall, one IN the mall, one on Ryan St, a Nelson Road location, and then one in Kroger.

We used to have a Coffee Beanery®. I miss that place. They had great coffee. We've got a couple of local shops and the owners are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:11 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I made no mention of how they treat their employees. You're pulling a straw man. It is well documented that Starbucks uses low quality beans. I'm not making that up. They are genius marketers and make themselves seem upscale when they really aren't. Also, selling loads of hugely sweet "coffee" drinks pretty much disqualifies you from being a true coffee shop.

Again, it wasn't until pretty recently that high quality coffee started becoming a thing in America. Most people were raised on low-quality, vacuum-sealed Folgers, or slightly less bad Dunkin' Donuts. It is what is.
Everything you said is very true!

Old 05-10-2020, 06:45 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
We have the co-branded Caribou/Einstein Brothers in Atlanta, along with several standalone Caribou's as well. They've been pretty popular here for years.
Yeah, I know they're kind of nationwide. I've come across them in California. Caribou being based in Minnesota, you see them more, even in small towns and truck stops.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:59 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTelecommuter View Post
I stumbled across this interesting listing on the Inter-webs, thought I'd share.

Top 10 US cities with most number of Starbucks locations

1 New York 228
2 Chicago 194
3 Las Vegas 170
4 Houston 156
5 Los Angeles 153
6 San Diego 138
7 Seattle 138
8 Phoenix 120
9 Portland 102
10 Dallas 93

As of March 2020

Source: https://www.scrapehero.com/location-...Starbucks-USA/

My thoughts, or notables that I found interesting:

Wow Vegas has a lot for its size.

Kind of surprised Seattle isn't farther up on the list, but then I realized Seattle has a lot of independent locally owned coffee shops.

Phoenix isn't far behind Seattle.
Interesting. Chicago was integral to Starbucks' success, when Seattle-based Starbucks first expanded outside of its home market, it went to Chicago. Chicago is now home to the largest Starbucks in the world (Rostery).

Old 05-10-2020, 02:43 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
I don't see how it is less popular in the South. The drive-thru lines are always long and there are usually plenty of people in the ones without a drive-thru. Don't see any change from that at present. Shreveport-Bossier City La. And there are plenty of local shops such as Rino's which do a big business. Going for coffee is a popular idea, apparently.

Old 05-10-2020, 02:49 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Over here in inland California (Fresno)
We're dominated by two chains -
Dutch Bros and Kuppa Joy. Both are doing so well that they're starting to push Starbucks out of city. I could see half the Starbucks closing in the next ten years.

Dutch Bros is an Oregon company, but their largest market seems to be Fresno. Hopefully, dutch Bros expands to the southeast, I think they'd do very well there.

Has Starbucks been expanding recently in the South or what? Am Curious.

A review of Dutch Bros I found amusing
"You know, I always heard about Dutch Bros from friends and family and they always raved about it and I was stuck on Coffee Bean for the longest time being a Californian, and I finally decided to go to this location in Fresno since I was in town for a concert and... let's just my life was changed! O...M..G...!!!! I seriously wanted to throw my mocha latte from Starbucks in the garbage because I never knew how good coffee could be from a chain until now. WOW! I live about 2 hours south of Fresno and I really, really, REALLY wish they would build one here. The quality of the coffee is off the chain and just amazingly delicious and smooth! I have only had the regular ice blended coffee and the hot cocoa, but good lord, they were amazing! I also tried their muffin top pastries and they were fantastic! The only let-down with Dutch Bros is the that the lines here can be a bit crazy so make sure you have enough time to get coffee especially if you are going to work in the morning. However, it's understandable why the lines here are crazy--- the coffee is amazing!

Dutch Bros, please build one of these in Kern County. We sorely need a fantastic coffee place other than Starbucks. The coffee here is just exceptional and some of the best I have EVER had! Highly recommended!"

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 05-10-2020 at 03:02 PM..

Old 05-12-2020, 04:03 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
Don't get what the hype is about these coffee places. Thy all serve a little cup of coffee with almost all ice and barely any coffee in it. Then it's like 7.50 for one. Likely people just want to show off the fact they drink from this place or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.