Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 PM

57 posts, read 68,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
Cape Coral is a nice choice. It has a sizable latino population, beaches, and warm sunny weather year round. The only downfall is that it might be a bit boring for someone from a big city like Buenos Aires.
Right. We've been considering that. We seem to be getting older than what we really are because we don't imagine missing the city lights.

OTOH, I do wonder what would happen when my kids become teenagers. But maybe we'll move again by then. We move a lot so we're all use to it.

Quote:
However, it is only a 2-3 hour drive from Miami, Orlando and Tampa..
Ah, now that's very interesting. Here in the city, due only to traffic, we use to drive even one hour and a half just to see a relative on the other end, or to go to a real park.. So 3 hours to Disney seems much more than compensating

Quote:
Hurricanes are a major concern if this matters to you.
I suppose it does. Don't really know as I never experienced one.

Still, it seems to me that in the US you get either quakes, tornados or hurricanes in mostly every place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 08:09 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Are you an Argentinian of Italian descent? I only ask, because a lot of people may not know that about 40% of Argentina's population is of Italian descent. That also may play a part in your search, if it is a factor.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:10 PM

111 posts, read 166,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcacciola View Post
I'll check these out.

Not being from the US I never knew where Atlanta is now that I see it on the map, looks nice.. not too southish (hot) or northish (cold).
This area I can speak about from first hand experience. Atlanta and the northern suburbs are beautiful. IMO, it is more scenic than Florida and the Southwest. Atlanta has rolling hills, forests, lakes, rivers and relatively mild weather. Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world with lots of direct flights, if that is important to you. Negatives: Winter in Atlanta is a bit colder than Buenos Aires and the beaches are far (4 hours+).

Quote:
If I'm reading the U.S. Census Bureau data correctly, Atlanta has a measurable hispanic population. Is not FL of course but it might be good enough for my kids until they blend in.
Though I suppose I will have to figure out a way for my son to speak English decentlyb before moving there right?
You appear to be concerned about your son not blending in at first unless he is in an area with many Latino/Spanish speaking kids. Is that correct? Just a word of caution... With the exception of Miami/South Florida, Latino neighborhoods are generally lower income and, unfortunately, do not have very good schools. (No intention to offend, I am latino).

Middle and upper class latinos typically flee to safer "White" (as in Non-Latino White) neighborhoods with highly rated schools. With your income level, I suspect that you will probably want to do the same. With that said, stick to strong school districts with good ESOL programs and your kids with do just fine.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you an Argentinian of Italian descent? I only ask, because a lot of people may not know that about 40% of Argentina's population is of Italian descent. That also may play a part in your search, if it is a factor.
Indeed. Half Italian and half Spanish. But it's farther away than my grand-grand parents so it won't be a conscious factor (I said conscious because it seems many italian traits run in the family even if we don't see it, for instance, regarding manners)

Old 05-08-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
This area I can speak about from first hand experience. Atlanta and the northern suburbs are beautiful. IMO, it is more scenic than Florida and the Southwest. Atlanta has rolling hills, forests, lakes, rivers and relatively mild weather. Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world with lots of direct flights, if that is important to you. Negatives: Winter in Atlanta is a bit colder than Buenos Aires and the beaches are far (4 hours+).
OK.

Quote:
You appear to be concerned about your son not blending in at first unless he is in an area with many Latino/Spanish speaking kids. Is that correct?
Right, that's exactly my concern.

Quote:
Just a word of caution... With the exception of Miami/South Florida, Latino neighborhoods are generally lower income and, unfortunately, do not have very good schools. (No intention to offend, I am latino).

Middle and upper class latinos typically flee to safer "White" (as in Non-Latino White) neighborhoods with highly rated schools. With your income level, I suspect that you will probably want to do the same. With that said, stick to strong school districts with good ESOL programs and your kids with do just fine.
Ah, OK. Didn't think of that. Indeed I will want to do exactly the same. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:38 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Actually, you can find good schools with a significant Hispanic/Latino student population. You just have to know where to look.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:10 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,070 times
Quote:
OK, I will definitely take a look at Houston then.
You could be biased, but that you would not consider any other place to live after 35 years is significant. Most people don't feel that way about any place
Thank you

Houston was going to be my second suggestion the Dallas/Ft. Worth area might be worth looking into as well.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Houston was going to be my second suggestion the Dallas/Ft. Worth area might be worth looking into as well.
Ok. I will.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.