Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is most southern in values/culture?
Mississippi 223 45.42%
Alabama 105 21.38%
Louisiana 15 3.05%
Georgia 34 6.92%
South Carolina 24 4.89%
Arkansas 13 2.65%
Texas 9 1.83%
North Carolina 5 1.02%
Florida 44 8.96%
Virginia 13 2.65%
Tennessee 6 1.22%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 05:41 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Old Line Florida absolutely. I dated a girl from Plant City and she was sugary sweet Southern.

Florida's problem is that it is such an awesome place that all the folks from the Midwest and the Northeast want to live there. They change the culture and do not see themselves as Southern.
Also Cubans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 07:28 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
I think Florida and Virginia are both more southern than Oklahoma. I feel like it's definitely a CD thing to include Oklahoma in the South, most people at least here in NC wouldn't even place Arkansas in the South. Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri are seen as "Ozark states" in North Carolina. However, I've been to Tulsa a few times and it did strike me as a little southern. Certainly not Deep South, though (not even close).

Last edited by JayJayCB; 06-22-2015 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 09:09 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I think Florida and Virginia are both more southern than Oklahoma. I feel like it's definitely a CD thing to include Oklahoma in the South, most people at least here in NC wouldn't even place Arkansas in the South. Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri are seen as "Ozark states" in North Carolina. However, I've been to Tulsa a few times and it did strike me as a little southern. Certainly not Deep South, though (not even close).
Arkansas is definitely a southern state. Especially south eastern Arkansas along the Mississippi Delta, you can't get much more backwoodsy than that.

Oklahoma is probably the least southern state of all the southern states, IMO, but still pretty darn country. I bought one of my cars from a dealership in Tulsa, salesman had a pretty thick twang.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:25 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
I'm a little late in this thread but have only read the 1st page, and have plenty of personal experience with most southern states so here is my top 10, from most to least southern:

1. Mississippi
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. South Carolina
5. Arkansas
6. Tennessee
7. North Carolina
8. Louisiana
9. Texas
10. Virginia
11. Kentucky
12. West Virginia
13. Florida

Old 06-22-2015, 09:30 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
No, you are wrong. Everyone I know here in NC would place both Oklahoma and Arkansas in the south, and that's because they are the south. I've never even heard anyone here in NC say the word "Ozarks" and I've lived here since 2012 (coming from Arkansas). Arkansas is equally, if not more, culturally southern than North Carolina. Arkansas south of Little Rock is most definitely the Deep South.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:33 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
No, you are wrong. Everyone I know here in NC would place both Oklahoma and Arkansas in the south, and that's because they are the south. I've never even heard anyone here in NC say the word "Ozarks" and I've lived here since 2012 (coming from Arkansas). Arkansas is equally, if not more, culturally southern than North Carolina. Arkansas south of Little Rock is most definitely the Deep South.
Very true. ^

If you think Arkansas isn't southern then you clearly haven't been there.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:31 PM

39 posts, read 26,310 times
I would say Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, then Louisiana South Carolina, Tennessee North Carolina, Virginia, Arkansas,more East Texas, Florida

Old 06-24-2015, 05:05 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Oklahoma isn't as southern as either Virginia (sans the DC area) and north Florida. Oklahoma is for the most part southern if it has to have an identity but it is a very watered down southern.

For instance, Oklahoma took the confederate flag down off of it's flag plaza 15 or 20 years ago and it caused only a minor protest when it happened.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:10 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
I'm a little late in this thread but have only read the 1st page, and have plenty of personal experience with most southern states so here is my top 10, from most to least southern:

1. Mississippi
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. South Carolina
5. Arkansas
6. Tennessee
7. North Carolina
8. Louisiana
9. Texas
10. Virginia
11. Kentucky
12. West Virginia
13. Florida
Good list except I would flip WVA and Florida.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:03 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Oklahoma isn't as southern as either Virginia (sans the DC area) and north Florida. Oklahoma is for the most part southern if it has to have an identity but it is a very watered down southern.

For instance, Oklahoma took the confederate flag down off of it's flag plaza 15 or 20 years ago and it caused only a minor protest when it happened.
Oklahoma flew Confederate flags? LOL. WHY?!?! Oklahoma wasn't even a state during the Civil War! I've heard some southerners migrated into Oklahoma after the war, but still.

Virginia is more southern than Oklahoma. In fact, I'd go as far to say Northern Virginia is more southern than Oklahoma City. I'm sorry, but I don't see how Oklahoma is that southern outside areas like Tulsa and a few pockets close to Arkansas. When I visited Oklahoma City, "southern" didn't come to mind at all. It might as well have been any city you'd find in Kansas or Nebraska, honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.