Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state is most southern in values/culture?
Mississippi 223 45.42%
Alabama 105 21.38%
Louisiana 15 3.05%
Georgia 34 6.92%
South Carolina 24 4.89%
Arkansas 13 2.65%
Texas 9 1.83%
North Carolina 5 1.02%
Florida 44 8.96%
Virginia 13 2.65%
Tennessee 6 1.22%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:24 PM

74 posts, read 152,981 times

Advertisements

I do not know how Florida gets that many votes on being the most Southern state, other than being geographically the southernmost state. With the exception of a few rural areas south of I-4, only the northern half can be considered at least partially Southern by culture, and only the Panhandle is solidly Southern. Even Texas, where I lived for a number of years, is more Southern overall than Florida, and East Texas is more Southern than even northern Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 04:00 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,325 times
A black police officer was killed after being shot in the back by a white racist in the Atlanta suburb of Griffin, Georgia May 31 2014. Despite the rarity of an incident such as this in modern times, it was only a blip on the national radar then quickly buried within à couple of days. It's been a recurring theme for the local media there to suppress documented racist incidents in order to protect a phony errony image as a racially progressive area. Sad but true.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:24 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
A black police officer was killed after being shot in the back by a white racist in the Atlanta suburb of Griffin, Georgia May 31 2014. Despite the rarity of an incident such as this in modern times, it was only a blip on the national radar then quickly buried within à couple of days. It's been a recurring theme for the local media there to suppress documented racist incidents in order to protect a phony errony image as a racially progressive area. Sad but true.
It wasn't "suppressed" at all; all the news outlets here reported on it. Very sad incident for sure, but what's your point as far as this topic goes? And it seems that you fail to grasp the fact that a racially progressive place doesn't mean that NO racial incidents will occur there because at the end of the day, it's still America.

I guess you just want to throw everything on the wall now and see what sticks, huh?

Old 08-23-2014, 07:20 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
FL? Geographically only.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:13 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Griffin is barely a suburb. It's nearly an hour from downtown Atlanta and might as well be your typical small Georgia town. It's not part of the urban area and is therefore not Atlanta.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:49 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Griffin is barely a suburb. It's nearly an hour from downtown Atlanta and might as well be your typical small Georgia town. It's not part of the urban area and is therefore not Atlanta.
Another good point. This guy has been stretching big time in this thread.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:53 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balddude View Post
Mississippi:

The only southern state I know still has a confederate state flag.

Can't forget about Kentucky, it's part of the south culturally.
I live in Kentucky while it is def in the south its more like West Virginia, Southwest Virginia and Western PA in my opinion because of the Appalachian culture. I love Kentucky but its def not as friendly as some others parts of the South like TN, GA, LA and AL. Just my opinion thou. Have a blessed day. -RL

Old 08-23-2014, 02:05 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDM View Post
I do not know how Florida gets that many votes on being the most Southern state, other than being geographically the southernmost state. With the exception of a few rural areas south of I-4, only the northern half can be considered at least partially Southern by culture, and only the Panhandle is solidly Southern. Even Texas, where I lived for a number of years, is more Southern overall than Florida, and East Texas is more Southern than even northern Virginia.
Well I mean that's not actually hard to happen. NOVA isn't even like the rest of VA much less the rest of hte South. Now compare NOVA to Trans-Pecos of Texas.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:47 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well I mean that's not actually hard to happen. NOVA isn't even like the rest of VA much less the rest of hte South. Now compare NOVA to Trans-Pecos of Texas.
NOVA because of spillover. Trans Pecos by default.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:02 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Another good point. This guy has been stretching big time in this thread.
Griffin, GA. is a part of the Atlanta MSA as is Forsyth County, which was 20th century America's most racist locale. GOH with the gibberish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.