Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:00 PM

622 posts, read 949,041 times

Advertisements

Which of each cities do you think is the most similar in each region?

Here are mines:

New York=Miami
Washington=Orlando
Boston=Savannah
Norfolk=Jacksonville
Detroit=New Orleans
St. Louis=Memphis
Pittsburgh=Birmingham
Milwaukee=Mobile
Baltimore=Tampa
Philadelphia=West Palm Beach
Indianapolis=Charlotte
Louisville=Nashville
Chicago=Atlanta
Buffalo=Charleston
Columbus=Raleigh
Green Bay=Wilmington

Can you please think of more Northeast-Southeast city combinations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 08:04 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
*sigh*

Buffalo = Charleston?!?!?!

And neither Norfolk or Louisville are northeastern cities.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
*sigh*

Buffalo = Charleston?!?!?!

And neither Norfolk or Louisville are northeastern cities.
The Northeast I define as part of this post is anything east of the Mississippi River and north of the Missouri Compromise Line plus Missouri, Iowa and Minnesota.

The Southeast I define as part of this post is anything east of the Mississippi River and south of the Missouri Compromise Line plus Arkansas and Louisiana.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:45 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
The Northeast I define as part of this post is anything east of the Mississippi River and north of the Missouri Compromise Line plus Missouri, Iowa and Minnesota.

The Southeast I define as part of this post is anything east of the Mississippi River and south of the Missouri Compromise Line plus Arkansas and Louisiana.
But those aren't the actual boundaries of the northeast and southeast. No matter how you cut it, neither Louisville or Norfolk are northeastern in any sense whatsoever.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:28 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post

Seriously? SE Virginia is the Northeast? Really? Green Bay is the Northeast? Really? Most would at least agree that 9 of your cities listed are not in the Northeast. More so, there will be others who would expand that list to include even more cities from your list.

That said, I can't even wrap my head around many of the comparisons. Philly and West Palm Beach? Seriously? Washington and Orlando?

Old 05-25-2014, 10:20 PM

What? No takers, yet? Anyone have a combination?

Old 05-26-2014, 03:08 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Louisville and Norfolk are southern towns, also Midwest towns like Chicago, Green Bay, Detroit etc are never considered northeastern. I also will add that there is very little similarity between the cities of the northeast, southeast or Midwest. These regions are known for their separate and distinct values for a reason. Some of your pairing I can see one major commonality between the towns, like Pittsburg and Birmingham have a steel industry connection, Detroit and New Orleans both have gotten major press for crime and corruption, and Chicago and Atlanta are the primary cities of their respective regions. Others however make me scratch my head. Philedelphia and West Palm Beach?? Washington and Orlando??? Not sure how those towns are connected. Memphis and Saint Louis may have good reason to be matched. One day they will likely face their fate together at the hands of the New Madrid fault line. If that thing ever goes off again like it did in 1811, it will be a bad day for those two cities.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:06 AM

18 posts, read 29,657 times
I define the northeast as New England plus CT, NY, NJ, PA, Delaware and the part of Maryland centered on Baltimore. The southeast is the rest of Maryland, DC (yes it's a southern city - culturally geographically historically and architecturally...DC and it's MD and NoVa suburbs might have a lot of transplants but that doesn't make it the north. Atlanta has tons of northerners but no one argues that it's not the south - another good way to tell the south from the north in the border area is the African American population...northern cities like NY and Philly's AA population are the descendants of transplants from the great migration. DC and Maryland black people are for the most part relatives of families that have been in that area since slavery. ) VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL.

The only comparisons I can make are maybe ATL/South FL being like NYC in the aspect that they are all diverse and large financial centers.
Also, Charleston - Boston might work. Both historic colonial seaports with pretty architecture. Besides that the only thing these regions have in common is access to I-95 and the same flag.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:18 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYerinKreuzberg View Post
1.I define the northeast as New England plus CT, NY, NJ, PA, Delaware and the part of Maryland centered on Baltimore.

2.The southeast is the rest of Maryland, DC (yes it's a southern city - culturally geographically historically and architecturally...DC and it's MD and NoVa suburbs might have a lot I transplants but that doesn't make it the north. Atlanta has tons of northerners but no one argues that it's not the north) VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL.
1.Since when is Connecticut not part of New England?

2.What region of the USA are Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia in?

Old 05-26-2014, 05:27 AM

18 posts, read 29,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
1.Since when is Connecticut not part of New England?

2.What region of the USA are Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia in?
CT is wierd. Part of it is New England but a nice chunk of it feels like NY suburbs. Bridgeport/Greenwich area feels more like I'm in Northern NJ than Rhode Island or metro Boston...listen to the accents.

AL, MS, LA and TN are the Deep South and Kentucky and WV and maybe some parts of Tennesee are Appalachia...Arkansas can be in that group with Kansas and Oklahoma and Missouri that isn't clearly south or Midwest.

I defined the Southeast as the southern states in the east coast. All the other states you mentioned are in the interior of the country and there geographically not "east"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.