Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 09:13 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times

Advertisements

I guess that technically speaking white-Hispanic is inter-ethnic and not necessarily inter-racial. There may be some that are and some that are not inter-racial. If you choose to have a DNA test you might discover those inter-racial or inter-ethnic relationships are more common, historically, than widely believed. I think that the more people travel and mix with other populations there will be less of a concern about inter-whatever marriages. I live in a tremendously diverse community and it hardly gets noticed in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 12:43 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I guess that technically speaking white-Hispanic is inter-ethnic and not necessarily inter-racial. .
True, for example an Argentinian with a White American may not be necessarily interracial NOR will a an Afro-Cuban and an African-american.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
From my experience, in New York, white male/black female is at least as common, if not maybe slightly more, than the reverse. And that goes for couples from baby boomer age to the youngest dating generation. From my observation, it is pretty close to 50/50.

This is in contrast to the rest of the country that I have experienced enough to make a judgement, which would be New Mexico and California where black male/white female is way more predominant than the reverse. Almost to exclusion.

I wonder what to make of the cultural dynamic that results in such a lopsided pairing.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:47 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
From my experience, in New York, white male/black female is at least as common, if not maybe slightly more, than the reverse. And that goes for couples from baby boomer age to the youngest dating generation. From my observation, it is pretty close to 50/50.

This is in contrast to the rest of the country that I have experienced enough to make a judgement, which would be New Mexico and California where black male/white female is way more predominant than the reverse. Almost to exclusion.

I wonder what to make of the cultural dynamic that results in such a lopsided pairing.
Some of this is likely due to the West tends to have more black males than females in many cases due to the military being a big or at least substantial source or reason for the black population being there.

You see it go both ways in other parts of NY State too. In fact, there are small cities/towns where it can be quite common, relatively speaking.

You also have the dynamic mentioned in a couple of the recent posts as well in regards to Hispanics/Latinos or even in regards to Native American/black or white couples in parts of the state. With the latter, it tends to go black male/Native female or going both ways in terms of Native/white couples.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:23 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowDriver View Post
I still don't see it "all the time" in the South. It pops up here and there, getting a little more frequent, but still fairly rare. Black male/white female seems the most common. (Probably since other ethnicities are in lower overall numbers around here)
Back in the 1920s, my Puerto Rican great-grandfather married my white great grandmother. Their daughter married my Mexican grandfather. They met because her father would pick up the Spanish-speaking college students for Sunday lunch. Their daughter (my mom) married my Anglo-Saxon dad in the ‘70s. I sometimes wondered if my mom experienced trouble growing up in the South during the Civil Rights era. She said no, speculating that there were so few other Hispanics it was easier to treat them all as white. She said it was a culture shock when she moved to California in high school because there she was acutely aware she was Mexican for all the wrong reasons. I also asked how my dad’s family took him marrying an Hispanic. Apparently there wasn’t much fuss except on one aspect. His mother was not too keen on a Catholic wedding by a bishop (or even more so that the Catholics frowned on slacks, preferring dresses be worn).

Old 03-31-2019, 05:35 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
It's fairly uncommon where I am in Tennessee, but we are around 95% white. Most common is white female/AA male.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:04 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Not so sure on "marriage" but judging by the amount of multiracial Americans who were born from the 1940s-1990s... its clear that racial mixing isn't a new 21st century thing. We're prob seeing more legitimate marriages now, though.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:56 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am a white woman and I was married to a black man who is the father of my children. We are divorced now and I'm married to a white man, but my kids are biracial.

We have lived in the south most of our lives.

All except one of my kids identifies as biracial (one daughter identifies as African American). My oldest daughter is married to the whitest guy I've ever known - from Iowa - LOL. The daughter who identifies as AA is married to a Latino guy - he's Puerto Rican and Panamanian and from the Boston area. My oldest son is married to a Korean woman. My youngest son is dating a woman from Brazil who is basically a white Latino (I understand that Brazilians can be a very mixed bag, hence the clarification).

For the record it doesn't matter to me what color their mates' skin tones are. But without exception, they have all dated basically whoever they wanted to date. I mean, back in jr high -before they could even officially DATE anyone, they may have had an issue or two, but by high school that had all leveled out and they were dating whoever - a rainbow of skin tones walked in and out of my house over the years!

We lived in Texas that for all of their jr high and high school years and in fact I still live in Texas and so do several of my kids. The other two are military families and have lived all over the place.

Maybe it helps that Texas is just a very diverse state anyway, I don't know. Just reporting my experiences. My husband, who like I said is a white guy, didn't have much of an issue at all with my kids' mixed race. In fact, his only issue was one of mild surprise when we first met but he moved past that in, oh, five minutes or less.

Both of us grew up post Civil Rights era and have traveled a lot over our lifetimes, to many different countries, not just states (but those too). I do think that has also created more of an open mind with both of us, and with our kids as well (his son and my kids get along great - in fact, his son and my youngest son are coming up from Austin in a few days to spend a couple of days with us). All our kids were adults when we met. Oh, and my parents were a military couple and absolutely would not tolerate a smidgen of racism in our house when I was growing up. In fact, the very first time I remember getting in trouble was when I called my brother the N word - I had no idea what it even meant but I'd heard it somewhere. Next thing I knew my dad was up in my face and shaking me by the shoulders and telling me very firmly that if he ever heard that word on my lips again he'd tear me up!
All this time I thought your husband was AA.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
All this time I thought your husband was AA.
LOL nope, not anymore!

My husband is not only a white guy, he looks like a Viking!

My ex husband is AA. We had four kids together while we were married. Clearly I was in it for the long haul, but things didn't work out that way, and frankly I think we're both happier. I know I am. But the divorce had nothing to do with his ethnicity at all.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:47 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I see a lot of white men with black women in the hipster parts of Brooklyn.
The most common IR relationships I observe in NYC whilst walking around, are: Black and Latino, Latino and White, Black and White. I don't notice a gender breakdown. Less than 1 in 50 couples are interracial and less than 1 in 1000 people seems to be gay.

The vast majority of people in NYC are immigrants who got married in their native countries. I would say more than 95% of NYC residents fit this description. For some reason Millennials do not really hang out in my area, they socialize in shopping malls in most parts of NYC.

In affluent neighborhoods, I often run into immigrant Latin or Asian women who are married to white or Jewish guys 20 to 30 years older than they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.