Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 06:47 PM

406 posts, read 342,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
Has anyone ever seen an Asian dude, black chick couple?
I saw it a couple of years ago when i was outside a Whole Foods in Columbia, MD. This Asian dude was walking with his Black girlfriend toward the store entrance while putting his arm around her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 06:54 PM

341 posts, read 285,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
What's the point of this thread? Nobody cares about interracial marriages. This isn't the middle east. We're America and even in our most conservative parts, we're completely cool with mixed race people.
Do you think parents are 100% neutral about what race their grandchildren would be?
Do white people marry whites 62% of the time, blacks 14%, of the time, etc based on those people's percentage of the population?
What percent of same-race parents would be 100% neutral if their daughter married someone of a different race if everything else between the two dudes was the same?
Two white parents 100% neutral if their daughter married a black dude?
Two Vietnamese parents, 100% neutral if their daughter married a white dude?

Old 07-05-2019, 08:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Do you think parents are 100% neutral about what race their grandchildren would be?
Do white people marry whites 62% of the time, blacks 14%, of the time, etc based on those people's percentage of the population?
What percent of same-race parents would be 100% neutral if their daughter married someone of a different race if everything else between the two dudes was the same?
Two white parents 100% neutral if their daughter married a black dude?
Two Vietnamese parents, 100% neutral if their daughter married a white dude?
So what?

People should marry who they fall in love with and who they can build a life with shared values and goals with. (I know - that's grammatically wrong but you get what I mean, surely.)

The vast majority of grandparents will accept and love their grandchildren, regardless of physical characteristics or skin tone. If they won't "go there" in their minds, or if they are judgmental based on skin tone, maybe they shouldn't be much if any of an influence in their grandchildrens' lives.

I am assuming you are talking about skin color or physical characteristics since you made a point of "everything else being the same" which would rule out cultural or religious differences. Those differences CAN make things more challenging for a couple - not saying they inevitably will, but they can. I can understand parents being concerned about those issues, though I still think they should back off after expressing their views like ONE time to their adult child. This frankly is simply not their business, but I think they have a right, maybe even a responsibility, to express their concerns clearly ONCE. After that, their work as parents is done on that front.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So what?

People should marry who they fall in love with and who they can build a life with shared values and goals with. (I know - that's grammatically wrong but you get what I mean, surely.)

The vast majority of grandparents will accept and love their grandchildren, regardless of physical characteristics or skin tone. If they won't "go there" in their minds, or if they are judgmental based on skin tone, maybe they shouldn't be much if any of an influence in their grandchildrens' lives.

I am assuming you are talking about skin color or physical characteristics since you made a point of "everything else being the same" which would rule out cultural or religious differences. Those differences CAN make things more challenging for a couple - not saying they inevitably will, but they can. I can understand parents being concerned about those issues, though I still think they should back off after expressing their views like ONE time to their adult child. This frankly is simply not their business, but I think they have a right, maybe even a responsibility, to express their concerns clearly ONCE. After that, their work as parents is done on that front.
I know, but that isn't what I was asking.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I know, but that isn't what I was asking.
You asked if we thought that people are truly 100 percent neutral about the ethnicity of their grandkids, I believe. My answer was "So what?" I mean, "SO THE HECK WHAT?"

Seriously - that really shouldn't be a defining question to two people who are deciding about whether or not to start a family together. "But our parents want us to marry someone the same color as we are!" Come on. I think that's crazy to worry about.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You asked if we thought that people are truly 100 percent neutral about the ethnicity of their grandkids, I believe. My answer was "So what?" I mean, "SO THE HECK WHAT?"

Seriously - that really shouldn't be a defining question to two people who are deciding about whether or not to start a family together. "But our parents want us to marry someone the same color as we are!" Come on. I think that's crazy to worry about.
You don't want to answer the question and you don't think people should ask those questions.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
You don't want to answer the question and you don't think people should ask those questions.
Oh ask away and there's my answer. I don't care if a parent feels "neutral" or not. So I personally wouldn't waste much energy worrying about it when choosing a mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.