Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:48 PM

16 posts, read 141,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I disagree. Im hispanic.... I am not of a dark complexion but I know if I was and people called me black, I wouldn't be happy about it. Theres a sense of pride in being Hispanic, so just being called "black" takes that away. "Black" is alot of different ethnicities. I think the correct term would be to call them "Hispanic black" or dark hispanic. I like how they do on the census were they have Non-hispanic white, Non-hispanic black.
i thought latinos hated being called "hispanic". where is hispana? the more politically correct term would be "latino" if we are going to play the race card.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:51 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,577,583 times
The people that originally inhabited Latin America looked like Native Americans. When Europeans and Africans came over here, they contributed their biological characteristics to Latin Americans, and that is how we get the different looks of Cubans, Haitians, Puerto Ricans, etc. Most of the citizens of these countries have European and/or African ancestry in their blood.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
For me the most beautiful black women are usually in the city that I'm living in at the time. Right now, that's San Francisco.
No offense, but there can't be very many of them there.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:54 PM

69 posts, read 184,465 times
Default "hispanic" is not a race...

Neither is Puerto Rican, Dominican, Mexican etc...
These are nationalities/ethnicities. There are different racial identies within each of these nationalies including "mixed" or any other perferred term for mixed. There are Black Puerto Ricans and White Dominicans for example.
Is there an AMERICAN race?

Old 12-22-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorsofspring View Post
Neither is Puerto Rican, Dominican, Mexican etc...
These are nationalities/ethnicities. There are different racial identies within each of these nationalies including "mixed" or any other perferred term for mixed. There are Black Puerto Ricans and White Dominicans for example.
Is there an AMERICAN race?
Yes. We call them Native Americans, when in actuality, they're the real AMERICANS.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:57 PM

69 posts, read 184,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Yes. We call them Native Americans, when in actuality, they're the real AMERICANS.

Ok, well you got me there. But what I meant was that an AMERICAN is not just one race.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:19 PM

762 posts, read 1,596,403 times
ATLANTA ATLANTA ATLANTA!!! EVERY where you look theres good lookin girls all over the place. I dont see how you can be single in that city.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414Milwaukee View Post
ATLANTA ATLANTA ATLANTA!!! EVERY where you look theres good lookin girls all over the place. I dont see how you can be single in that city.
Atlanta does have a lot of attractive black women in the city. The whole state does, really. They call them Georgia Peaches. I should know because my grandmother is one.

In my opinion, I would say that collectively, Atlanta is probably the most attractive city in the nation.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:27 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,657,733 times
Most cities I've been to like Colorado Springs,Cleveland,Denver,and Chicago have had alot of attractive African American females.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:07 PM

61 posts, read 258,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I disagree. Im hispanic.... I am not of a dark complexion but I know if I was and people called me black, I wouldn't be happy about it. Theres a sense of pride in being Hispanic, so just being called "black" takes that away. "Black" is alot of different ethnicities. I think the correct term would be to call them "Hispanic black" or dark hispanic. I like how they do on the census were they have Non-hispanic white, Non-hispanic black.
my mother is cuban and my father is black. i know in cuba we come in all colours of the rainbow, just like other island ethnicities. there can be a little bit of an issue when it comes to skin colour etc, but at the end of the day, regardless of skin colour... we're still cuban or wherever we're from. we tend to accept that we come in all shades. we don't say "light hispanic" or "dark hispanic." it's just hispanic.

i wouldn't appreciate being called "hispanic black" nor would i appreciate being called a "dark hispanic" if i were 100% cuban. i'd just want to be cuban or hispanic. i don't see a need to quantify dark vs light.

i have very exotic features so most people would see me immediately and think that i'm a "dark hispanic." i have typical spiral ringlet curly cuban hair, high cheekbones and almond shaped hazel eyes. i look more hispanic than black, but at the end of the day we really don't need these divisions because they're pretty pointless. i'm hispanic and black and i identify myself that way because i am biracial. but if i were 100% cuban i wouldn't want to be told i'm black just because my skin is dark.

for mpope409,mr. quack like a duck, are dark people from india black just because their skin is dark brown? they're all darker than me, so are most filipino people.

my son's father is german and italian. as a result my son is very fair skinned (lol most people think i'm the nanny- he looks completely white).. but he's still black, cuban, german, and italian. so would he be called a light hispanic or would be white according to your logic? because he quacks like a white person, he looks like a white person and he walks like one.

does that make him one?

people of diverse ethnic backgrounds don't have to "pick a side" and don't have to be labeled. we don't need to be told "what" we are. just because some people feel the need to stuff others into nice, easily digestible little boxes.. doesn't mean we have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.