Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 03:29 PM

81 posts, read 105,406 times

Advertisements

Houston's screwed is very unique
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 10:03 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
That's right. Kept on thinking Bounce came from DC. Thanks, I'll update the post.
Nope. There is a Go-Go subgenre called Bounce Go-Go. It's one of the most distinctive sounds of Go-Go. There's also Mombahton, another Go-Go subgenre (it has some Dancehall influences). A lot of Hip Hop artists here in the DMV incorporate Go-Go into their music but they also heavily incorporate Soul, Trap, Boom Bap, Chillwave, Electronica, Experimental, World, Jazz, etc. into their sounds.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balddude View Post
Hip Hop will never die bro. It goes in cycles, Or should I say it has its hills and valleys. In this case of music nowadays, its in a frickin canyon! This mainstream stuff is slap garbage. These mainstream "entertainers" (I wouldn't call them rappers) have no clue of what they're doing, because that's all they see is dollar signs. If there was law that banned the profiting of rap music, every one of these rappers you see on the MTVs and BETs would jet. Eventually hip hop will come back to the real as it did in 1993-1994 after Hammer, Snow, and Vanilla Ice damn near destroyed it. Its a bigger problem now because there are more wack artists on the mainstream ticket, so it may take time.
There's a only a handful of mainstream rappers that are legit to me personally. A majority of the great stuff is underground though from a lot of metro areas and regions in the country. Too many to name honestly.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:07 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

DC was big on chopped and screwed in the early mid 00's. I still drive to it and love the bewildered reaction on the unassuming public while listening to their mainstream music.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:52 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Nope. There is a Go-Go subgenre called Bounce Go-Go. It's one of the most distinctive sounds of Go-Go. There's also Mombahton, another Go-Go subgenre (it has some Dancehall influences). A lot of Hip Hop artists here in the DMV incorporate Go-Go into their music but they also heavily incorporate Soul, Trap, Boom Bap, Chillwave, Electronica, Experimental, World, Jazz, etc. into their sounds.
Yeah I knew somebody would bring this up. There's the bounce beat of gogo true. But bounce music is straight New Orleans. It's been around longer.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah I knew somebody would bring this up. There's the bounce beat of gogo true. But bounce music is straight New Orleans. It's been around longer.
Yep. Btw, doesn't Atlanta have a Bounce music scene that's influenced from the original scene in New Orleans?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:40 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Yep. Btw, doesn't Atlanta have a Bounce music scene that's influenced from the original scene in New Orleans?
Nah. In the 90s, Atlanta made music similar to what you would hear from Florida. Very similar music. Nobody but NO did bounce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.