Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 22.66%
Pennsylvania 14 10.94%
Delaware 7 5.47%
Maryland 49 38.28%
West Virginia 11 8.59%
Virginia 18 14.06%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:52 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
*sigh*

Washington, DC, much like Atlanta and Durham, was a magnet for African Americans well before the 1950s. These cities had institutions (the AUC and black business in Atlanta; N.C. Life and Mutual and HBCUs in Durham; Howard University in DC) that solidified a large Black upper middle class during the early part of the 20th Century. That's why Lawrence Otis Graham spends a disproportionate amount of time on these cities in his book "Our Kind of People." The Black political establishment in these cities is entrenched much the same way the Irish are in Boston. DC's changing demographics didn't stop Muriel Bowser from pounding all of the white candidates into the ground. Nor did the shrinking of Boston's Irish population stop the election of Marty Walsh, the city's 14th billion Irish Catholic mayor.

Besides, if changing demographics don't mean anything, then people need to shut up about "northerners" flocking to these metros, etc. You can't argue that demographics don't matter on the one hand and then argue that changing demographics have essentially made these places "northern" on the other. Not sure why you can't see how contradictory that is.
It's not a contradiction. I was simply stating the facts. I didn't say it has anything to do with being Northern or Southern. I never said there wasn't a Black presence in DC before the 1950's but they were most certainly not the majority population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 08:59 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's not a contradiction. I was simply stating the facts. I didn't say it has anything to do with being Northern or Southern. I never said there wasn't a Black presence in DC before the 1950's but they were most certainly not the majority population.
Yes, I'm already aware you think it's northern on the basis of rowhouses, which it had when it was universally considered a southern city in the 1960s.

Quote:
Foreign dignitaries, Hollywood superstars, and major league baseball players visit the White House, Kennedy Center, and RFK stadium each month....It is surprising, then, that members of Greenspring s D.C. Area High School Grads group recall the days when D.C. was merely a sleepy southern city.
Growing up in a sleepy, southern town | Erickson Tribune

I guess rowhouses didn't leave the same impression on these DC natives as they did on you. All it took was the addition of a subway in 1976 and Thai restaurants circa 2009 to transform it into Brooklyn.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Why doesn't any region/state/city brag about have the most blacks than anywhere in the country? I'd like an honest answer.
I see Prince George's County in MD mentioned A LOT on CD for it's high number of blacks, usually wealthier blacks which I think is why it is always brought up. I'd never heard of PG County until CD.

Should Newark brag about it's high black population given it's bad reputation and crime rate? I don't think so. In the NE, most blacks reside in cities, which often don't have the best reputations crime-wise. Sorry if this is offensive, but it is what it is.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I see Prince George's County in MD mentioned A LOT on CD for it's high number of blacks, usually wealthier blacks which I think is why it is always brought up. I'd never heard of PG County until CD.

Should Newark brag about it's high black population given it's bad reputation and crime rate? I don't think so. In the NE, most blacks reside in cities, which often don't have the best reputations crime-wise. Sorry if this is offensive, but it is what it is.
I don't think anyone is "bragging" about what groups are here. If you're talking about the Northeastern United States, then of course people are going to discuss the things that are unique to the region and distinguish it from other areas of the country.

If we're simply talking about differences between the Northeast and other parts of the country today, then any discussion of current demographics is definitely relevant. The Philadelphia or New York suburbs have a completely different feel from the DC suburbs and many people on here have already attested to that. And demographics play a big role in that.

If we're talking about history, then the the Catholic/Jewish vs WASP dynamic also merits lengthy discussion, though it's not the end all, be all of the region's history. But as others have said, if demographics have no bearing on the regional classification of a state, then this thread should have ended on Page One. Historically, Maryland was never a northeastern state. The only argument for making it Northeastern today is the changing demographics, but if demographics don't matter, then the state is still essentially a southern state.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 09-11-2014 at 07:42 AM..

Old 09-11-2014, 07:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Puerto Ricans have the same tendency to reside in bad inner city areas, and at least in many Northeast cities, are often a lot poorer than the black population*. Puerto Ricans are mentioned because they're a demographic distinctive to the Northeast.

Part of the difference is that well off Puerto Rican seem to assimilate into the local white population (particularly Italian-Americans? ) while well off blacks often maintain a separate identity.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:18 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
Why doesn't any region/state/city brag about have the most blacks than anywhere in the country? I'd like an honest answer.
Quote:
Nobody on City Data does it. It's all about Italians, Irish and Puerto Ricans on CD.
Obviously there is nothing that makes those particular ethnic groups superior over other ethnic groups and no one is bragging about having a high concentration of these groups of people. However what people are saying (myself included) is that these ethnicities are more concentrated in the Northeast (PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, RI etc) and therefore they are more associated with the Northeast and because Maryland does not have a similar amount of those particular ethnic groups that exist in the Northeast it is a reasonable argument (and one of my main arguments) of people who don't consider Maryland as a northeastern state.

Oops, similar explanations was already stated by Bajan and Nei lol

Old 09-11-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Slim Charles is from DC
Omar is from Brooklyn
More info on the geographic origins of the Wire cast...

New York:

Julito McCullum/Brooklyn (Namond Brice)
Jamie Hector/Brooklyn (Marlo Stanfield)
Clarke Peters/Harlem (Detective Lester Freamon)
Domenick Lombardozzi/Bronx (Officer "Herc")
Seth Gilliam/Bronx (Officer Carver)
Tristan Wilds/Staten Island (Michael)
Michael K. Williams/Brooklyn (Omar Little)
Thomas Quinn/Queens (Detective Patrick Mahon)
Clifford Smith or "Method Man"/Staten Island ("Cheese")

Philadelphia:

Al Brown (Commissioner Stan Valchek)
John Doman (Commissioner Rawls)
Gene Terinoni (Officer Jimmy Asher)
Jonnie Louis Brown (Officer Walker)
Brian Anthony Wilson (Detective Vernon Holley)
Robert Colesberry (Detective Ray Cole)

Newark:

J.D. Williams ("Bodie")
Michael B. Jordan (Wallace)

Pittsburgh:

Tyrell Baker ("Little Kevin")

Boston:

Brandy Burre (Theresa D'Agostino)
Richard De Angelis (Colonel Raymond Foerster)

Chicago:

Wood Harris (Avon Barksdale)
Maestro Harrell (Randy Wagstaff)

Washington, DC:

Delaney Williams (Sergeant Jay Landsman)
Antwaan Glover (Slim Charles)
Robert Wisdom (Officer Bunny Colvin)

Last edited by BajanYankee; 09-11-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 09-11-2014, 08:44 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is "bragging" about what groups are here. If you're talking about the Northeastern United States, then of course people are going to discuss the things that are unique to the region and distinguish it from other areas of the country.

If we're simply talking about differences between the Northeast and other parts of the country today, then any discussion of current demographics is definitely relevant. The Philadelphia or New York suburbs have a completely different feel from the DC suburbs and many people on here have already attested to that. And demographics play a big role in that.

If we're talking about history, then the the Catholic/Jewish vs WASP dynamic also merits lengthy discussion, though it's not the end all, be all of the region's history. But as others have said, if demographics have no bearing on the regional classification of a state, then this thread should have ended on Page One. Historically, Maryland was never a northeastern state. The only argument for making it Northeastern today is the changing demographics, but if demographics don't matter, then the state is still essentially a southern state.
I agree, I was responding to KodeBlue who questioned it. I see no problem in discussing ethnic groups per region, because they're definitely not always the same, so if we want to discuss what makes a region unique or different than we need to discuss ethnicity. If anyone wants to discuss ethnic or racial minorities be my guest, it's not as if there is some unwritten rule that we cannot.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:58 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Great responses.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:23 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
I was talking about the metro areas, not so much the city limits. King of Kensington provided an article a while back about how the larger Italian populations in the Northeast essentially "Italianized" the suburbs. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is.

Raccogli e passa | i-ITALY
The METRO region of Chicago has lost considerable amounts of Italians and Irish as well. But that has more to do with them being fed up of living in Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.