Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 06:28 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times

Advertisements

Hey, great thread, Elfy. Does this mean I can't whine about cold and snow?

OK, I'm from South Dakota and there is a LOT that I love about my home state.

1. Our past two winters have been SO nice. We haven't had more then a couple dustings of snow, the temps have been nice, etc.

2. We have friendly, kind people everywhere. Most of them even have a lot of common sense and are generally caring and supportive of others.

3. We have four distinct seasons. Our springtime is beautiful here. Our summers are nice and I especially love the HOT days. We don't generally have a lot of humidity and summers are great here. Our autumns are beautiful when the trees turn and there's just a BIT of chill in the air. OK so I can't talk about our general winters cause this is a positive thread.

4. We have the beautiful Black Hills and they are so majestic and peaceful. There's a lot of history there.

5. The Badlands are one of the most amazing places you will ever see. The colors of the landscape are breathtaking and I really urge all of you to find an internet photo of them that's taken at sunrise or sunset.

6. This is where the history of the Old West was. Calamity Jane, Wild Bill Hickok, Wyatt Earp, etc. all roamed this area.

7. We are one of the states that was part of the Lewis and Clark expedition and in 1889, my state and N. Dak. separated and joined the union. (Formerly Dakota Territory)

8. Even though this doesn't interest me~it's a perfect place for hunters and fisherman.

9. We have very little traffic and NO traffic jams. The total population of our state is now about 750,000, up from 600,000 in the 60s when I went to school.

10. Plenty of wide open spaces.

11. Maybe a bit too conservative for many, but check out the amendments we'll be voting on Tues. Our Gov. has banned abortion on demand. Like I said, it may be a bit too conservative for some, but we have a lot of good, wholesome, people here with a lot of Christian values. Most of them aren't fakes either and they won't preach at you when they see you in the street. It's their "inner" self that's good.

12. Some of our areas don't have ample jobs, but any of the larger cities have jobs for everyone who wants to work. Yup, most of the people here still have the old fashioned midwestern work ethic and are good employees.

13. Affordable housing. If you want to live in a smaller community, you can still find a nice home for well under 50,000. I just checked last night so I could post to someone on here and found a beautiful 4 bedroom/2 bath home with a pool for 175,000 in the town I live in. Factor in that if you offered 80%, the home would probably be yours. So, for about 140,000 you can have an extremely nice, large home.

14. We have very low taxes compared to a lot of the U.S.

15. Insurance is easy to get and it's very affordable. You could probably insure that same home for about 300 a year. Your taxes would probably be about 2,000 a year.

16. Sioux Falls has a lot of beauty. The Phillips to the Falls area is SO nice and there's plenty of shopping to do there.

17. My state is the home of Deadwood. It's the same town that the series "Deadwood" is about. Contrary to it's name, Deadwood is alive and well and thriving. They have so many activities there from outdoor rock n roll concerts to car shows and the list goes on.

18. Hot Springs has a place to swim with warm mountain water that actually comes from a natural spring. It's supposed to be "healing water" for arthritis, etc.

19. My state is the home to Mt. Rushmore and if you've never seen it in person, you are definitely missing something awesome.

20. Crazy Horse is being blasted out of a mountain and we've been watching the progress made on that. It will someday be fantastic.

21. Spearfish Canyon has beautiful waterfalls and the stream is so clear you can see to the bottom.

22. We don't have air pollution.

23. We have clean, good water.

24. We don't have a LOT of diversity. I enjoy a bit, but as you already know, I prefer people to be LEGAL Americans and speak English.

25. You don't normally need a background check or drug test to get a job here. Everyone usually is familiar with you and knows that you're "safe". If you're from out of state, it won't take long for employers to get to know you and accept you.

Wow, Elfy, how enlightening for me!!! What in the world am I doing here looking for info on other states? If it wasn't for winter (OOPs), I could say I live in the perfect state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 06:31 PM

480 posts, read 2,829,151 times
What about jobs? What about future winters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Hey, great thread, Elfy. Does this mean I can't whine about cold and snow?

[...]

Wow, Elfy, how enlightening for me!!! What in the world am I doing here looking for info on other states? If it wasn't for winter (OOPs), I could say I live in the perfect state.

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2006 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: quote shortened

Old 11-05-2006, 06:34 PM

Just wanted to add that my last post was an honest assessment of my state. I'm NOT a realtor and I don't work for the Tourism Dept. or Chamber of Commerce.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:35 PM

Checks, we have plenty of jobs. There are several that are part time with no benies, but MANY are full time with full benies. If you are seriously interested, let me know what part of the state you're interested in and I'll let you know what newspapers to scan for jobs and housing.

As far as future winters, I can't tell you that. But I can tell you that this year we had a bit of a cold spell. Today it was in the 60s and we're expecting 60s and 70s for the rest of the week.

If you're familiar with some of my posts, you can see that COLD and SNOW are my enemies.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:37 PM

I'm a bit too ambitious for SD. I have no interest there, but thanks.

Quote:
Checks, we have plenty of jobs. There are several that are part time with no benies, but MANY are full time with full benies. If you are seriously interested, let me know what part of the state you're interested in and I'll let you know what newspapers to scan for jobs and housing.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:40 PM

OK. I understand where you're coming from. This thread was asking for the things you like about your state and I listed the things I like about my state. If you aren't interested, just pass me by.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:44 PM

What are the things you dislike about your state?

Quote:
OK. I understand where you're coming from. This thread was asking for the things you like about your state and I listed the things I like about my state. If you aren't interested, just pass me by.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:54 PM

1. We have had some VERY cold and snowy winters in the past.

2. We have no more family left here.

3. Guess that's about it.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:57 PM

Where did they go?

While you're answering, could you send me a positive reputation point. Some clown keeps knocking me down because he didn't like my one post. People are so touchy. Thanks.

I sent you one point.

Quote:
1. We have had some VERY cold and snowy winters in the past.

2. We have no more family left here.

3. Guess that's about it.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:32 PM

Check, rest assured that it WASN'T me who gave you the negative mark. I don't care if you agree with the things I said or not, they're all true. The ONLY times I give a negative feedback is if someone is downright rude and nasty to another person. I don't operate that way in real life and I don't do it here either.

I'm not sure where you live and am interested in what you like about YOUR state. I want to recheck the thread and see if you posted it and if not, get busy. LOL I'd love to know the postives of where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.