Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:31 PM

375 posts, read 800,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Nobody out West gets caught up in that "Yankee/Rebel" mentality. We don't care about that crap out here. If someone out here does care about it, then it's baggage they dragged here with them from back East.

If people back East want to think of the West Coast as "Yankee", then that's their concern. Not ours.
As you should be. I think anyone who flies the rebel flag north of about 1-70 or west of Dallas is a freaking idiot. I'm not against it if its truly part of your heritage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 08:39 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqconvict View Post
the going theory among linguists is that yankee was originally an ethnic slur used by new englanders against dutch new yorkers.

A british general picked it up during the american revolution and applied it to americans in general, in particular new englanders under his command.

Up through the 19th century, the term became associated with the entire northeast, in part through publications like yankee notions, a new york city magazine. Although often used vaguely perjoratively or at least connoting a stereotype, the term was adopted by northeasterners, especially rural new englanders.

Then the civil war happened and the rest is history.

Ultimately, my favorite definition of yankee comes from american writer e.b. White:

to foreigners, a yankee is an american.
To americans, a yankee is a northerner.
To northerners, a yankee is an easterner.
To easterners, a yankee is a new englander.
To new englanders, a yankee is a vermonter.
And in vermont, a yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.
bravo!!

Old 11-16-2014, 08:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
As you should be. I think anyone who flies the rebel flag north of about 1-70 or west of Dallas is a freaking idiot. I'm not against it if its truly part of your heritage
Well, I wasn't really talking about the flag. Out here, flying that flag only means one thing... and it isn't "Southern pride".

I was referring to the "Yankee/Rebel" labeling.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Is Los Angeles Yankee since it is further south than Memphis and Atlanta
Not even all New Englanders are Yankees. From the Massachusetts Forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
Gotta agree with Utopian Slums here. It's easy to confuse the terms - although Yankees are New Englanders, not all New Englanders are Yankees. I'm from one of those immigrant groups who has been here for generations, and while I hold a lot of those Yankee sensibilities I consider myself a proud New Englander but not a Yankee. Among other reasons for this is that Yankees would not consider me or others of my ethnicity Yankees - although we've been here a long time, it hasn't been long enough. And that's not just about ethnicity, a person who moved here from England in the early 1900s wouldn't be considered a Yankee either.
more found in small towns:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Yankee Culture is alive and well in small towns

Congregational Church Fairs and Turkey Dinners
Town Meeting
Christmas Tree Lighting on the town common
Band Concerts on the common
Agricultural fairs

Old 11-16-2014, 09:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
^

It's kind of hard to get caught up in Civil War era name-calling and identification when most states in the region in question were not even states yet at the time.

I'm not defending or dissing use of these words, Yankee, rebel, whatever you want to say, but I do believe that the East has had a very different history than the West and thus they should not be judged the same in this regard. Why would a Westerner say Yankee, it's not part if their history? That's what I mean. You can't just ignore it or forget about history - you might think "Yankee" is a dumb term (maybe I do, too) but the history behind it, I think, is cool and if it's said in fun rather than a serious, "I hate you, you damn Yankee!" way, than I don't see the harm is using the word.

I think that's why I like when the Brits call us all Yankees. I find it almost like a term of endearment. It's a weird relationship, and a weird word coming from them but I don't necessarily always think Brits are being negative when they call us Yankees. Something about "the Yanks" sounds cool to me, I'm kind of proud when I hear that.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Yankee in 2014 is an archaic term. Really only applies to the professional baseball team, imo. Suppose anyone from the Northern states from the Civil War era fits the term, and anyone from America to the British if we must choose...

Old 11-17-2014, 03:10 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times

if you are from these states, you are a Southerner!!!

if you are from here you're a yankee

Old 11-17-2014, 03:17 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
When we relocated to Florida from Ohio I was told that, "A Yankee is anyone who comes here from the North and a damn Yankee is one that who stays here."

Last edited by Sunnydee; 11-17-2014 at 03:22 AM.. Reason: quote

Old 11-17-2014, 07:05 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
The baseball team.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:06 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I've always hated that term, even though I grew up in what is technically the South. It just belongs in another century, IMO. I always heard it used mainly in reference to people from the Northeast states, and very rarely in relation to the Midwest. Oddly enough, the only times I've really ever heard it applied to Midwesterners was in self-referencing by Midwesterners.

To people in many other countries though, we're all "Yankees". I've even been called a Yankee by Canadians and Brits.
Thank you. Wish the word is only used for sports reasons and that's it. Other than that, hate using that term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.