Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 05:50 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I mean, it seems like ANY place that I create threads about and ask for advice on end up being ridiculed by half of the people in the thread, and the other half end up encouraging me to pursue the place. For example, if I make a thread about moving to West New York, people react like, "oh my god, do not move there, because of all the snow and depressed economy." But then, if I make a thread about if Florida is good for me, people will be quick to say things like "oh my god, do not move there....it's too hot and humid and touristy." Or, if I ask about moving to say, Phoenix, people will say, "oh my god, don't move there....it's too generic, hot and dry."

So it's like...what am I supposed to do?! It seems like every place in this country sucks.
Think for yourself and used the opinions and information gathered to decide what place makes the most sense for you. It's a rather simple concept yet I'm not sure why you are so confused by it, you just seem incredibility indecisive so I'm thinking the nature of the forum isn't the real issue here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 05:58 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Obviously people will have differing opinions, and an online forum in particular lends itself to providing all of those differing opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
There's another site that we're not allowed to link to here that has analysis.
What site is that? Any hints?

Old 11-24-2014, 06:10 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Diverging opinions are why these forums exist. If everyone agreed, there would be no need for them
But in all seriousness, I have found if you read a lot of posts in any state forum you are interested in, you will get a feel or "vibe" for want of a better term. I have found that is usually spot on. I've lived all over the country, 10 places in the last 14 years alone, and have found that the feel of the forums, the demeanor of the posters, is pretty much what that state is like in person.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:48 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
There is a silent liberal SanFran epitomizing majority here. The trick is to tune them out.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
What site is that? Any hints?
See my Direct Message.

Last edited by Bo; 11-24-2014 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: fixed tag

Old 11-24-2014, 08:43 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
Wherever you go, there you are.

If you are at peace with yourself you can find a place that fits well for you.

Personally I know I would thrive in Indianapolis, Raleigh,Burlington, New Haven, Washington D.C. and Seattle. Nothing negative said about those places would turn me away.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I mean, it seems like ANY place that I create threads about and ask for advice on end up being ridiculed by half of the people in the thread, and the other half end up encouraging me to pursue the place. For example, if I make a thread about moving to West New York, people react like, "oh my god, do not move there, because of all the snow and depressed economy." But then, if I make a thread about if Florida is good for me, people will be quick to say things like "oh my god, do not move there....it's too hot and humid and touristy." Or, if I ask about moving to say, Phoenix, people will say, "oh my god, don't move there....it's too generic, hot and dry."

So it's like...what am I supposed to do?! It seems like every place in this country sucks.
LOL, welcome to CD. If you were posting about whether or not to get a german shepherd dog, or a Honda car, or whatever, it would be the same thing.

If you do find a forum where everyone agrees that a particular place is perfect and you should definitely move there - I suggest you google "cult." And then never move there.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:35 PM

367 posts, read 697,330 times
I like reading the forums about certain cities and yes I agree that other peoples opinions about the place has influenced me about whether I think I'd like the place. I guess you just have to visit the place first hand and form your own opinion. There will always be pros and cons of an area. I hope you find your happy place.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:03 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
One of my friends in real life happens to live in Buffalo and told me to not listen to what people say on City-Data forums. He said it's actually a very well cultured, exciting city with plenty of young professionals and other types of people (hipsters, blue collar, whatever). I hope it works out!

Old 11-25-2014, 01:22 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
You won't know until you find out OP.
Everywhere is great, everywhere sucks.
A place is what you make of it.
-yours truly

On next week's episode, I think of more cliches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.