Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:40 PM

215 posts, read 390,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
If you act like a fool, you will be treated like one
exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 09:11 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn82 View Post
I would be insulted and hurt if someone from CA made fun of my accent.

I would be defensive and angry if a Long Island, NY, Bostonian or Joisy boy made fun of it
What do folks from these places have that would make their ridicule particularly meaningful? I can think of nothing. To me, any such ridicule simply reflects poorly on the one initiating it.

If the quality for which you're being ridiculed is a good one, is there really a need to be defensive about it? As for being "backwards," when the paragon of being "forwards" is a place like NYC--an archetype of globalism: lacking in identity and fellowship, with an ever-growing class divide, and a haven and playground for financial criminals, banksters, and elites--there's obviously something wrong with the value system in the first place. So what difference should it make who's "backwards" and who isn't under such a value system?

I can't say I share your view about Iowa. Many good folks there, I'm sure.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I bet there are plenty of Northerners living in the South who take a lot of crap for being from the North and talking like a Yankee. There are lots of Southerners who despise everything about Yankees.

I like a Southern accent. It's spoken with more rhythm and grace and the words seem to flow better.
In my experience, Southerners generally don't mind Northern transplants who have come to embrace (or at least accept) the Southern culture (and there's plenty of them too). It's those who bring their Northern business with them that truly irritates the natives.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:03 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Tenn82
You've dissed iowa here before but your most recent one on this thread is REALLY over the top loaded wiht insults & namecalling!
I'm an Iowa native who has lived in Ga. for 35 years. I've repeately had the expericen that when I've been in a debate with a southerner, particularly a relatively uneducated one who can't really defend his position well, their fall back born out of frustration is to start namecalling, as in "You yankee!" After 35 years it still happens and I don't really sound much different in accent than most of my midtown Atlanta co-workers. And you have the nerve to diss Iowans as being inbred! Good grief, talk about anger issues...

Old 02-20-2015, 09:18 AM

Yep. What he refuses to admit is that the average Iowan is considerably better educated, richer, and healthier than the average Tennesseean. And as far as pride goes, Iowans tend to be among the proudest of their home state of anyone in the nation.

And "nobody moves to Iowa"... well, just ask the nearly 250,000 Latinos, Asians, Africans and Bosniaks that have come to call Iowa home since the beginning of the new millennium. Not to mention central and eastern Iowa is slowly picking up some steam from around the country too. In fact, it's no longer one of the 5 slowest growing states... since 2010, it's the 29th fastest. Not great, but it's been forever since Iowa's growth was middle-of-the-pack. It's beating out sunbelt states like Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, and New Mexico.

If he wants ignorance, all he needs to do is take a good hard look in the mirror.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:36 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,054 times
I have considered this some lately.

I find that some people will treat you squarely and fairly, and these are the most intelligent people.

The rest are a mix of "you're from down south so you must be ignorant, and you talk funny" or "why don't you talk funnier?" as if they are disappointed in your lack of "southernness".

Old 02-20-2015, 10:11 AM

As a non-native transplant, not once have I been unfairly judged here. While I don't exactly hide my "northern-ness" (I don't sound "southern", save for maybe a few sayings I've picked up) I do find a lot of common ground with the locals, as I've since joined a local church and share the passion of college football. Many a southerner's eyes light up when you bring up football, it's something they have a lot of pride in and can easily kill 2 or 3 hours just talking about how the upcoming season might turn out. I don't talk a lot of politics down here (I lean right, but not far right like a lot of natives do) but it's something they do take very seriously down here.

And while the South doesn't lead the nation in educational attainment, there are plenty of VERY well-educated Southerners, black and white alike.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:36 PM

215 posts, read 390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Tenn82
You've dissed iowa here before but your most recent one on this thread is REALLY over the top loaded wiht insults & namecalling!
I'm an Iowa native who has lived in Ga. for 35 years. I've repeately had the expericen that when I've been in a debate with a southerner, particularly a relatively uneducated one who can't really defend his position well, their fall back born out of frustration is to start namecalling, as in "You yankee!" After 35 years it still happens and I don't really sound much different in accent than most of my midtown Atlanta co-workers. And you have the nerve to diss Iowans as being inbred! Good grief, talk about anger issues...
my post was not seriously truly directed at Iowa. I was being extremely sarcastic. and if you read the OP then it sound like Iowans are the ones with serious issues, at least in his experience.

besides, you're talking about having political (I assume?) debates with people, not just merely being made fun of for how you talk and little else
I can honestly say the same for anyone else, Other ignorant people who cant defend their position also say "well you're just a dumb Southerner, what do you know? Oh yeah of course you're from the South no wonder. etc....." that's another thing entirely and personally I could give a crap less about politics

what you are implying has to do with ignorance period, which I promise you is NOT unique to the South, just as many ignorant Iowans as there are ignorant Georgians or Martians for that stupid matter.
has nothing to do with anything but human nature itself. No more. and that's my point to your argument.

just like your experience with people in GA is just that, YOUR small world experience. As if any of this crap matters anyway.
I was merely trying to tell the OP he shouldn't be worried about people from other places making fun of him for how he talks, being from the South

a lot of people on here really dont get how, it's a lot of Southerners who have always been ridiculed for merely talking the way we do, when we go to other places

I've for one have never made any fun or even cared to make fun of how people here talk who come from outside here, even people I could EASILY tell were from NY or Jersey

yeah its noticeable to hear their accent but that's all.

the rest of the country doesnt have the history of being made fun for how they sound like we do

the OP said he was made of in places like Indiana or Iowa for how he talked

how many people from CA, or even NY get made fun of in Iowa or Indiana for how they talk?

Im sure it happens, but you don't hear about like with Southerners

quite frankly, we always feel like we are being attacked, in a sense, and it makes us extremely defensive over things that might not seem a big deal to anyone else

I was not truly attacking Iowa, I have never been there, and have nothing at all against anyone from Iowa, NY, or Ethiopia for that matter

was just trying to convey to the OP that while many outsiders make fun of us for ill perceived stereotypes that they aren't immune to them themselves and every region has them

for some reason, its the South and people from the South who get the worst of it?

yes I know there are many southerners who hate northerners or how they talk, I am not one of them I could care less about how someone talks, looks, or whatever
I have no clue as to why something that trivial would affect me what so ever

but lets be honest, by and large, its when people hear a southern accent then we are the ones who get made fun of it more than anyone else

Im sure it happens to others too but traditionally we are the "backwoods ignorant hicks", and all this dumb crap and I TRULY see that stereotype view from non-southerners on this website as much as anywhere else.

I wasnt purposefully attacking Iowans, I've never been there, but thats my point. The people the OP said ridiculed him for how he talked don't truly know him either.

all I know is, for us we tend to get more defensive about it because more than Bostonians or NYers or anywhere else in America who has a colorful accent its we southerners who get made fun of it the worst by and large and no on here can seriously disagree with that

and then people wonder why many people here don't care for outsiders?

I apologize for my comments on Iowa, I was simply pointing to the OP, they have their stereotypes too ad its all based on just that..... stereotypes.

if I moved to Iowa and people just assumed I was stupid or backwards because merely of where I came from or how I talked without even knowing me then I would be very defensive and hurt too

I think that's just human.

and yes, if someone from NY made fun of me for my accent I would be defensive since they too have their own stereotype accents

how can anyone, North or South, make fun of how we all talk when we both have had stupid, biased and flat out retarded stereotypes attached to it over time? how can one person with a negatively viewed accent based on bias and ignorance make fun of another person's accent for the same stupid reasons?

that's retarded.

that's all I was pointing out to the OP. He shouldn't be upset if anyone ridicules him for how he talks because obviously they have their bigger problems going on.

my attack on Iowa or anyone else was not a true attack. but it does make me feel defensive hearing people make fun of us for how we talk, that's just natural . and even though some southerners hate outsiders and even hate how people from say NY talk, I m not one of them, Personally I could seriously give a crap less, don't even know why or how it maters, ( because it doesn't) I could care less.

but even more so, people from NY don't have all of the ignorant stereotypes labeled on them from ignorance and prejudice that people from the South have and to some degree sometimes still do.

as for southerners who hate northerners or whatever they're just stupid neo-confederate types or whatever. And that has nothing to do with being liberal or conservative either. Both liberals and conservatives exist, in and outside of the South.

if they don't like outsiders, its not as serious as people truly think, unless they think for some reason it would affect them or even their community in some way.

or else they just hate them coming here for economic reasons and little else.

for my post, yeah I meant it. if you want to talk about stereotypes, then Iowa is not that far from the ignorant stereotype people hold of the South either.

in the OP, he acted as if he was not making fun of anyone but it as him who was being made fun of for no reason.

Only problem is, the people making fun of him come from a place associated with just as much negative and ignorant stereotypes as where he came from, IMO I was just saying he shouldn't be worried about what they think.

quite honestly it hurts, when people make fun of us for no reason or when people "attack" us or take it upon themselves to judge us or think how we "ought" to be when A) they don't even know us and B) most of their views are based truly on sheer true ignorance or, if they are based on some truths, its the same truths you can easily find in people anywhere else in America too but for some unknown, stupid reason its the South that gets targets for it?

and then people wonder why get defensive when I see posts like what the OP was talking about

and I sure people from other parts of the country get their share of ridicule too from others, but they don't get it near half as much as those from the South do and anyone who says otherwise are just a damn liar.

I never hear of how people from Minnesota get tired of being made fun from people elsewhere thinking they all sound like the movie Fargo (?)

I never hear of how people from Jersey or Long Island get sooo tired of being made fun for how they sound by people in Ohio (?)

yeah I have no doubt it happens but you don't seriously hear about it because it doesn't really happen that much, but it still happens for southerners

not as much as it may seem I am implying it happens but, there is still a lot of ignorant and just flat out retarded stereotypes associated with the South and with Southerners, to the point it's draining.

and I see it more on this website than just about anywhere else.

having said that, I sincerely apologize for what I said about people from Iowa and if I offended anyone

just know, that I KNOW what I said was NOT true

that was my POINT, its a stupid stereotype and I was just trying to convey that to the OP, who was being judged also by stupid stereotypes and ignorance.

of course I know ( or seriously don't assume) people from Iowa are not like that. I'm not as f**king ignorant as half the posters on here who say things about southerners although they've either, never been here, or have had only limited experience........very limited.

I think it's only on boards like this people actually talk or even seem to remotely try to notice this crap.

I've never seen anyone here in real life tell someone he was a "damn yankee" I have NEVER heard that phrase in REAL life, here.

Ive never had anyone come to me and say " you know he's from up North? Im so sick and tired of them coming here, taking the jobs etc"

I think about 98% of the posters on this site who come up with that crap are just doing that......making it all up.

or else they cant tell when someone they had experience with here is maybe joking with them or making fun of them but in a not truly serious or meaningful way but just being sarcastic when talking to them.

the only time I can see when someone from the south may not like "northerners" coming here has to do with economic reasons, but then again if all the sudden my city as flooded with people from Atlanta or even Birmingham "transplants" and it seriously affected the economy so much here it made it just impossible to find any work at all then Im sure it might be a similar sentiment. and No I don't mean anything to anyone from Atlanta or Birmingham. Just trying to make a point.

Im sure people from Atlanta or Birmingham would equally feel the same if a flood of Tennesseans moved in and started seriously messing things up economically for some of them too. (?)

that type of thing has nothing to do with being specifically from the North or whatever.

and it's true. There are a lot of people here who don't care much for outsiders, but I've also seen some people, t least, who didn't care much for people from WV or GA who were trying to move or go into East TN either.

especially if it was business related. Or anything else.

Im just as certain there's not many Californians or Bostonians who would necessarily care too much for a bunch of people here in the south moving into their backyards either.

Last edited by Tenn82; 02-22-2015 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.