Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 08:44 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,893 times

Advertisements

Can't say I've ever experienced that kind of prejudice. Everyone treats me like a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 09:02 PM

698 posts, read 798,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Um, yeah. That's scripted television. The media are the #1 culprits for generating and reinforcing ridiculous negative stereotypes. You do know that in real life, those Duck Dynasty goons are actually wealthy yuppies, right?
Yes I read the head of the household was an excellent football player who got a scholarship, I think he graduated from Louisiana Tech. And after he invented the duck call, his son came in and really promoted it bigtime using his PR background.

I agree that the media loves to re-inforce stereotypes, that's an excellent point. I'd not considered that.

Quote:
It's all an act. All those low-brow "reality" shows are either a bunch of scripted, rehearsed bull****, or it's carefully selected, lowest-common-denominator garbage meant to make certain people in a certain area look a certain way for the public image. That's why I quit watching TV about 10 years ago.
We watch only documentaries, we have no TV antenna or cable tv. And I really don't know much about the reality shows except we watch Alaska the Last Frontier, which doesn't seem scripted. We watch it off the internet. Those reality shows to me are just soap operas. So we are in agreement, a total waste of time

Last edited by CaliforniaGal1; 12-06-2014 at 09:15 PM..

Old 12-06-2014, 09:10 PM

698 posts, read 798,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern man View Post
i've told several "fast talkers" to slow down, i speak and hear southern.
lol!!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Um, yeah. That's scripted television. The media are the #1 culprits for generating and reinforcing ridiculous negative stereotypes. You do know that in real life, those Duck Dynasty goons are actually wealthy yuppies, right? It's all an act. All those low-brow "reality" shows are either a bunch of scripted, rehearsed bull****, or it's carefully selected, lowest-common-denominator garbage meant to make certain people in a certain area look a certain way for the public image. That's why I quit watching TV about 10 years ago. The media is the biggest part of the problem. Not that the stereotypes didn't exist before, but they have made it much, much worse with all these phony "reality" shows. And it's not just the South either. I mean, look at what that stupid "Jersey Shore" show has done to taint New Jersey's image.

If anyone is basing their opinion of an entire region based on a few crap TV shows, then they need to get out of the house a bit more often.
Reminds me of Larry The Cable Guy. Have you ever heard his REAL accent?

Old 12-06-2014, 10:12 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,620,882 times
I bet there are plenty of Northerners living in the South who take a lot of crap for being from the North and talking like a Yankee. There are lots of Southerners who despise everything about Yankees.

I like a Southern accent. It's spoken with more rhythm and grace and the words seem to flow better.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:21 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
Nobody makes fun of me because they're too busy trying to figure out where I'm from.

Most usually guess "somewhere out west" or mid western. They're shocked when I tell them I grew up in Savannah, Georgia. Much more so when I tell them I was born in and lived in Mobile, Alabama for 6 years!

No accent whatsoever.

Actually, I have gotten caught once. Only by one reaction. When I said "Do what?" - I was in Minneapolis and someone stopped and said they'd never heard anyone say that before.
When I was younger, I thought it was funny saying dag nabbit. I still say it on occasion, but nobody questions it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I bet there are plenty of Northerners living in the South who take a lot of crap for being from the North and talking like a Yankee. There are lots of Southerners who despise everything about Yankees.

I like a Southern accent. It's spoken with more rhythm and grace and the words seem to flow better.
More often than not, I casually make fun of other southerners for their accent. Not to be offensive, just out of fun because it just sounds silly to me. There have been a few people that spoke with such a southern accent that I couldn't figure out what they were trying to say..

Old 12-07-2014, 01:08 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Everyone hates on the South but the most of the country keeps moving here.. I find that ironic.

Lol not really Kentucky. It's not like people are knocking down doors to get into your state. Keep your pride in check.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:16 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

Yes indeed. They will bring it up every which way they possibly can. Gets tiring and boring actually. They are stuck in 1861 if you ask me.

You have to understand that Southerners by and large hate the Fed Govt (not matter which party is in power), and they associate the Fed Govt with the Union victory in the Civil War, and the northeast states in general.

What a sad dis-unified country we live in. Wouldn't it be better if southern people and the states they lived in that hated this country, be left to go on their own and separate? I think so. Either accept the fact that the Union prevailed and this is one country now, or go on and get out. They actually had billboards up in Alabama last year with the words "Secede".

There are all kinds of anti-American organizations down there like the "Southern National Congress", "League of the South", "Sons of Confederate Veterans" and blah blah blah.

They love their state, but hate the rest of them outside the "South". The list goes on and on.

Last edited by tom77falcons; 12-07-2014 at 02:12 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 01:05 PM

1,092 posts, read 833,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I've told several "Fast Talkers" to slow down, I speak and hear Southern.
Would not let me rep you again.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:28 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yes indeed. They will bring it up every which way they possibly can. Gets tiring and boring actually. They are stuck in 1861 if you ask me.

You have to understand that Southerners by and large hate the Fed Govt (not matter which party is in power), and they associate the Fed Govt with the Union victory in the Civil War, and the northeast states in general.

What a sad dis-unified country we live in. Wouldn't it be better if southern people and the states they lived in that hated this country, be left to go on their own and separate? I think so. Either accept the fact that the Union prevailed and this is one country now, or go on and get out. They actually had billboards up in Alabama last year with the words "Secede".

There are all kinds of anti-American organizations down there like the "Southern National Congress", "League of the South", "Sons of Confederate Veterans" and blah blah blah.

They love their state, but hate the rest of them outside the "South". The list goes on and on.
Petition Pennsylvania to Secede from the Union
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.