Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:30 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times

Advertisements

I live in Indianapolis now and there is a ton of blight and dilapiladated buildings in the core city. Crime is high. Many homes are being sold for under $20k and no one will buy them. Large swathes of the city look completely abandoned.

I went through Cincinatti today and driving on 71 through downtown from the eastern burbs is a lesson in blight and being beaten with an ugly stick. Toledo, Dayton, and Cleveland are all the same way. Detroit is a wreck. I've never been to Chicago or St. Louis, but I'd expect large parts of their cities to also be bad. Kansas City also had a lot of bad parts when I visited. Minneapolis seems to be one of the lone exceptions for big cities.

Why are the Midwestern metros a blighted out mess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:35 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,602,221 times
Deindustrialization

Old 12-07-2014, 06:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
Every city has bad sections, poor uneducated people living in the ghetto. Every major US City has them, not sure what the point of this thread is?

Old 12-07-2014, 07:05 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Certain parts of certain large cities in the midwest are very tough, most of the areas are former strong industrial areas that have fallen from their peaks. Crime wise the midwest is typical of the country, same with income levels. Unemployment in the Midwest is lower than the national average and the region has been gaining population since it was first settled.

There are bad parts to virtually any city in the country. I really don't notice the Midwest having a larger population living in "run down" areas than other places in the east, west, south.

Areas of the country are portrayed to represent differnet images in our minds. Manhattan in New York, bustling cities and quaint towns for the northeast, new age suburbia and growing cities in Texas, palm trees and movie stars in Hollywood, beaches and sun in Florida and failing industrial areas and farms in the Midwest are common images. Those images exist in real life for sure, but I think many times we tend to think that's all those areas contain. Yes there are palm trees and movie stars in southern LA, but there are also a lot of fairly tired looking lower income neighorhoods stretching for miles away from the coasts. The Midwest has bad neighborhoods and post-industrial hard hit areas, but a vast majority of the region has nothing to do with that. South Florida has beaches and sun, but otherwise the suburban areas of one region really don't function or work any different than they do in most any other region.

"Why are Midwest metros a blighted out mess". What? Even the worst areas like Detroit have 85% of the people in the region living in perfectly fine suburban areas. Silly thread.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 12-07-2014 at 07:14 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 02:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
One reason could be because they are older than most western cities. They have had more time to decay. They are also larger than many western cities. I think though, if you really look at some of the western and PNW cities that allegedly do not have bad appearing sections you will find them. They may not look as run down as those in the midwest and may be smaller but give them time and they will look just as bad as any midwestern slum.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:54 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Deindustrialization
That's it exactly. No further need for debate.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:59 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
this is one of the dumbest threads I've seen yet.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Every city has bad sections, poor uneducated people living in the ghetto. Every major US City has them, not sure what the point of this thread is?
Some major cities have them more than others. Not as much as obvious decay in some parts of the country.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
One reason could be because they are older than most western cities. They have had more time to decay. They are also larger than many western cities. I think though, if you really look at some of the western and PNW cities that allegedly do not have bad appearing sections you will find them. They may not look as run down as those in the midwest and may be smaller but give them time and they will look just as bad as any midwestern slum.
I doubt it. There was large scale abandonment in many rust belt cities. It may not be repeated elsewhere. Boston is older than rust belt cities, it has bad areas but not much decay.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:10 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think the point of the thread is not that Midwestern cities have more bad areas, but that so much of it is abandoned/blighted. And the answer is population loss spurred by deindustrialization.

Here in California, there are probably just as many bad neighborhoods in the East Bay and Los Angeles as there are in Chicago and Cleveland, but in the California cities these bad neighborhoods have actually grown in population while those in the Midwest have had severe population losses. A lot of this is owed to Western cities being strategically located to absorb much of the immigration from Latin America and Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.