Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 10:02 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The blighted Midwest cities the OP mentioned are often talked about for their problems. Detroit is the number one suspect on all these lists, but Detroits condition should not color all Midwestern cities. Minneapolis is a very nice city. Madison and Green Bay in Wisconsin are nice cities. Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor in Michigan are very nice cities. The plains states don't have any blighted cities that I have ever seen. Not every Midwest city is Detroit, Chicago or Gary.
A lot of these are older, rust belt cities. When I lived in Iowa, you may have small towns that had clearly seen better days, but nothing looked like Toledo. I've been to Toledo, Cincy, and some rural OH towns, and Ohio is the biggest eyesore I've ever run across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 01:49 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
That's nice of some of you to say but believe it or not Minneapolis and St. Paul both have some blight too, just maybe not as much as some quintessential Rust Belt cities in the Midwest. There are neighborhoods where more than half of the lots on each block are completely vacant. It's not the "urban prairies" you'll see in Cleveland or Detroit though, I suppose.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:54 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Minus Minnesota the rest of the Great Lake states are Rust Belt states along with West Virginia. Maryland, New Jersey, and Delaware are sometimes included but it's primarily the great lake states.
Again, that's nice of you to say, but Minnesota isn't immune to Rust Belt-ery......Take a look at Duluth or cities within the Iron Range for Rust Belt evidence. In fact, the "Iron Range" is theoretically the foundation of the Rust Belt/Steel Belt, since the taconite mined there is what's used to create the steel made in Cleveland, Gary, Pittsburgh, etc.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:12 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
A lot of these are older, rust belt cities. When I lived in Iowa, you may have small towns that had clearly seen better days, but nothing looked like Toledo. I've been to Toledo, Cincy, and some rural OH towns, and Ohio is the biggest eyesore I've ever run across.
You should visit Dayton.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:53 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,194,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Not every Midwest city is Detroit, Chicago or Gary.
I'm not going to act like Chicago hasn't lost population, or that it doesn't have blighted areas, but Chicago does not belong in the same sentence as Detroit or Gary.

Detroit has lost 61% of its speak population; Gary has lost 55% of its peak population; but Chicago has only lost 26%. Chicago's losses are comparable to Minneapolis (27%), Philadelphia (26%), and Boston (23%).

Granted, population loss alone doesn't tell the whole story of how many blighted areas a city may or may not have, but I stand by my assertion that Chicago is not nearly as blighted as Detroit or Gary.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:16 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,540,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I live in Indianapolis now and there is a ton of blight and dilapiladated buildings in the core city. Crime is high. Many homes are being sold for under $20k and no one will buy them. Large swathes of the city look completely abandoned.

I went through Cincinatti today and driving on 71 through downtown from the eastern burbs is a lesson in blight and being beaten with an ugly stick. Toledo, Dayton, and Cleveland are all the same way. Detroit is a wreck. I've never been to Chicago or St. Louis, but I'd expect large parts of their cities to also be bad. Kansas City also had a lot of bad parts when I visited. Minneapolis seems to be one of the lone exceptions for big cities.

Why are the Midwestern metros a blighted out mess?
I thought it was pretty well understood that the Midwest has suffered from deindustrialization for several decades. Suburbanization and white flight had roles, too. Was education in Tennessee that bad?

What's your excuse for Memphis or all of Mississippi?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:21 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,540,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Are you paid to complain?
I mean seriously what are you expecting a city to be? Utopia? Gold plated streets?
Stainless steel houses? Absolutely no thugs within a 100 mile radius?
Based on another thread, he actually thinks the reason Midwesterners think he's a fool is his accent.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:36 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I thought it was pretty well understood that the Midwest has suffered from deindustrialization for several decades. Suburbanization and white flight had roles, too. Was education in Tennessee that bad?

What's your excuse for Memphis or all of Mississippi?

I stick up for the Midwest when its unfairly slammed by folks, no need to hit below the belt on the south. Poor Mississippi takes so much flack, its not nearly as bad as people say it is. Some very nice folks in MS. Yes Memphis has issues, but as a state we have nice cities overall. Nashville is a boomtown, Chattanooga and Knoxville are also nice livable cities.
I think a couple cities in the Midwest are responsible for the bad reputation that parts of the Midwest gets. Its really not fair, as I stated in a previous post there are plenty of nice Midwestern cities. Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago and Gary always are cited as examples of bad Midwest towns, but most Midwest towns look nothing like those places. Minneapolis is a great city (other than weather), Ann Arbor Michigan is 50 miles from Detroit and its a great small city. People have run down Indianapolis, but when I was there I thought it was a reasonably nice town.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:02 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Dude, seriously?

Indianapolis population: 852,866 (2013)

Detroit population: 688,701 (2013)

Yeah, the Detroit metro is bigger, but if you compare metro to metro, you'll have to account for, as chkthankgod said, the University of Michigan, one of the best research institutions in the Midwest with 43,710 students.

Inch for inch and pound for pound, it's actually Indy that underperforms when it comes to higher education.
If Indianapolis underperforms when it comes to higher education then explain why Indianapolis is one of the 14 Life Science clusters in United States and Detroit is not?

Old 12-16-2014, 08:19 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,534,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
If Indianapolis underperforms when it comes to higher education then explain why Indianapolis is one of the 14 Life Science clusters in United States and Detroit is not?
Because some 3rd party rating service (which you haven't linked to) determined that it's one of the best dozen or so places for one very specific academic tenet. Not exactly a "game changer," haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.