Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:19 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
If Indianapolis underperforms when it comes to higher education then explain why Indianapolis is one of the 14 Life Science clusters in United States and Detroit is not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:29 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Because some 3rd party rating service (which you haven't linked to) determined that it's one of the best dozen or so places for one very specific academic tenet. Not exactly a "game changer," haha!
The rating comes from Jones Lang LaSalle which isn't a 3rd party rating service. Secondly, Life Sciences isn't a very specific academic tenet. Quite to the contrary, Life Science is a broad field of study but that is neither here nor there. However just because you are suggesting that I'm blowing something out of my rear end I will gladly provide a source. This is the global report, the United States Life Science section begins on page 29.

http://www.jll.com/Research/2014-glo...3-ab01d0a4ece6

Just so were are clear on the definition of Life Science and what it entails I will provide the following link:

List of life sciences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-16-2014, 11:39 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,534,096 times
Life Sciences are still a tiny percentage of the whole of academia.

It's like me saying that Wisconsin produces the best football players because of JJ Watt. You have to look at all of academia, which is what everyone was talking about here, not a single high performing sector...as you would have to look at all of football, not a single high performing player to determine which state produces the best football players. I'm not sure why you can't see the ridiculousness of your assertion.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:29 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,860 times
Quote:
Life Sciences are still a tiny percentage of the whole of academia.

It's like me saying that Wisconsin produces the best football players because of JJ Watt. You have to look at all of academia, which is what everyone was talking about here, not a single high performing sector...as you would have to look at all of football, not a single high performing player to determine which state produces the best football players. I'm not sure why you can't see the ridiculousness of your assertion.
You are moving the goal post. I asked a simple but specific question in post #80 which was, "If Indianapolis underperforms when it comes to higher education then explain why Indianapolis is one of the 14 Life Science clusters in United States and Detroit is not?"

You chimed in with:

Quote:
Because some 3rd party rating service (which you haven't linked to) determined that it's one of the best dozen or so places for one very specific academic tenet. Not exactly a "game changer," haha!
You doubted the rating service so I provided the link. Instead of challenging the link (which you couldn't) you just basically dismissed it (which I have no problem with). Next you state that Life Science don't count because it isn't all of academia which is something I never claimed it to be. To add insult to injury then you blast me for making some unstated ridiculous assertion. Cheese plate exactly what assertion did I make?

Old 12-16-2014, 02:40 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
A bit of an aside, but I just saw this county-by-county map measuring reported happiness across the U.S. Green are the happiest areas, red are the least happy.

http://g.fastcompany.net/multisite_f...st-and-why.png

Seems pretty clear that, all things considered, the Midwest is the happiest portion of the country. More the farm-belt areas than the rust belt, but still.

Last edited by JMT; 12-16-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 03:28 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Too many people are giving the Northeast a pass here. Ever been to Philly or Baltimore? Very serious blight.
How about Atlantic City, or Camden, or Wilmington--no one will ever accuse these places as being "heaven on earth"...

Old 12-16-2014, 08:50 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Lol.

They might have been here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hu...39b4d40dc27e42

When I lived in NY, I always wanted to move to this block! Looks real classy!
1. Thats not in Brooklyn, its the Bronx.

2. Even if you wanted to, you can't move there since its an industrial area with no residential dwellings. In fact, it is one of the largest food distribution centers in the world (Hunts Point Food Distribution Center). Thats like me posting a street view of LA in the middle of an oil refinery...

Old 12-17-2014, 12:00 AM

672 posts, read 758,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A bit of an aside, but I just saw this county-by-county map measuring reported happiness across the U.S. Green are the happiest areas, red are the least happy.

http://g.fastcompany.net/multisite_f...st-and-why.png

Seems pretty clear that, all things considered, the Midwest is the happiest portion of the country. More the farm-belt areas than the rust belt, but still.
Now that is interesting. People really like to dump on the Midwest but it's a fine place. Great universities, lovely old architecture, intelligent culture and plenty of water! Plus, transplants in manhattan like to sneer at it, which immediately elevates the area in my estimation.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:38 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Dude, seriously?

Indianapolis population: 852,866 (2013)

Detroit population: 688,701 (2013)

Yeah, the Detroit metro is bigger, but if you compare metro to metro, you'll have to account for, as chkthankgod said, the University of Michigan, one of the best research institutions in the Midwest with 43,710 students.

Inch for inch and pound for pound, it's actually Indy that underperforms when it comes to higher education.
Ann Arbor is not in the Detroit MSA. It does not do for Detroit what say Northeastern does for Boston, but what say WPI/UMass Med does for the Boston Economy.
Ann Arbor developed it's own economy rather than feeding Detriots, like Worcester.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:53 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I thought it was pretty well understood that the Midwest has suffered from deindustrialization for several decades. Suburbanization and white flight had roles, too. Was education in Tennessee that bad?

What's your excuse for Memphis or all of Mississippi?
In many of these cities, there seems to have been little effort to remove the blight or redevelop those areas into something other than what they were. They've been left largely as they were, no matter what degree of decay sets in.

Mississippi has no urban areas of consequence. It is mostly rural poverty, not postindustrial blight like the Midwestern cities I noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.