Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:12 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,916 times

Advertisements

Arizona, for sure.

Not many mainstream country music artists come from Arizona (even though that's not saying much, since most people don't come from Arizona to begin with), so you won't hear the state or its cities referenced all that frequently in country songs.

However, while living in Arizona, I observed a lot of folks were really into country music among other traditional "redneck" interests, such as guns, jacked-up pickup trucks and dirt-biking. This element was especially pervasive in the East Valley around Mesa and Apache Junction and in much of the West Valley.

I also recall meeting more than a handful of people in the Phoenix area who ONLY listened to country music and nothing else. Even in Dallas, I don't recall meeting people who listened exclusively to country.

Believe it or not, Florence, AZ hosts Country Thunder, one of the largest country music festivals in the country every April, and it's always very well-attended.

Compared to Southern and other Western states like Wyoming and Idaho, Arizona tends to fly under the radar in this category, but in my experience, it's a lot more "redneck"/"country" than many people think or give it credit it for.

Last edited by 8to32characters; 05-10-2015 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 09:25 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,887,037 times
I think country music is popular in most rural areas throughout the country. My Father owned a country-western station in Salt Lake City in the '60's and it was usually a top 5 Nielsen-rated station year after year. They won "Station of the Year" twice.

Most folks don't equate Utah with country music. However, outside the SLC metro it's mostly cowboy hats, boots, pickups and ranches.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:59 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
What about St. Louis and Louisville?

Once in a bar in London, Ontario, someone told me that Ottawa has a thriving alt country scene. I find that hard to believe? Can anyone confirm or deny?
There's a small alt-country festival there now. Though alt-country can mean anything from like traditional sort of Bakersfield-sound country to bands that are closer to Wilco or sort of countryish folk rock.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:10 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,978 times
I know we don't count but country is big in Britain and Ireland. HMV has aisle after aisle of country

Old 05-11-2015, 02:18 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,917 times
Country music is actually kind of popular now. There's an increasingly number of people my age and in my part of California who listen to it. I myself like it in small doses (I increasingly listen to music to SHUT OFF my emotions and brain, not stoke them), but this just happened a few weeks ago:

Stagecoach | California's Country Music Festival

Checking out the Instagram pictures some of my friends posted, I need to check it out myself. It literally took place the week after Coachella, so some of the straddlers who were too wacked out of their gourd to make it back to normal society stayed behind as well.

In general though, I wouldn't say California's music scene is defined by any one genre. Though nowadays, I feel like EDM is everywhere.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:37 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
I know we don't count but country is big in Britain and Ireland. HMV has aisle after aisle of country
How popular is American country music over there?

Old 05-11-2015, 02:45 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,978 times
Country is big in Northern England, a lot of clubs ( working men clubs) have evenings dedicated to it, but artists such as Kenny Rogers, also Dolly Parton ( big on the Gay scene. Not that im an expert), also Alison Krauss, even Merle Haggard. ( Strange, but not Garth Brooks). HMV is a massive music outlet

Old 05-11-2015, 04:09 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Yeah even up here in New England Countryfest sells out Gillette Stadium every year. Country is the new Pop
Not only that, but every time Kenny Chesney has a summer concert tour, he always ends it with two shows in Foxboro, MA at the end of August. They like country music in New England too.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:13 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Country music has gotten very pop-like and many songs are very summery, either in sound or literally talking about the beach or lake, drinking beer and margaritas on summer nights, etc. I think this has contributed to its widespread popularity.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:45 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
Living in ohio, I hear country music at most shops, restaurants and even going to garage sales. Most all friends and family listen to country music. It may not be on everyones list but ohio has lots of country music listeners.

I would include TN, KY, and West Virginia as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.