Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 51st State
Puerto Rico 34 36.56%
Mexico North/ Central (Tijuana/ Mazatlan) 2 2.15%
Mexico South/ East (Cancun, Acapulco) 0 0%
Canada West (Vancouver, Calgary) 17 18.28%
Canada East (Montreal, Toronto) 9 9.68%
Guam 3 3.23%
Bahamas 7 7.53%
France 2 2.15%
England 8 8.60%
New Zealand 11 11.83%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:48 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
New Zealand rocks but it's hard for Americans to get a resident visa. Of course it's hard for Americans to get residency anywhere.
... which is another good reason to make it a US state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 10:35 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I concur with this vote for Iraq. 9 million dollar a month we already spending their , plenty of oil and we could set up all the oil refineries we need.
Hmm, the 51st State of Iraq to provide all the oil the U.S. needs? I'm no expert on oil supply and demand, but it might be a stretch. By 2020 the U.S. will import 80 percent of its oil, so Iraqi supplies might not be enough.

The U.S. already tried but failed to make Venezuela a U.S. state back in 2002, so maybe the question should be about looking for the FIFTY-SECOND state as far as oil goes.

There's been a lot of talk about Iran lately, but the U.S. was there from 1953 - 1979, so that might be more trouble than it's worth. Memories of coup d'etat and revolution still pretty fresh.

What about oil-rich Saudi Arabia? The House of Saud is unpopular with the populous. An overthrow should be a cinch! Make friends with the people instead of the royals. Saudi Arabia, number 52?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:07 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Puerto Rico likely I'd say. However, I think the United States doesn't need to get any bigger than it already is. If you ask me, I'm not even sure why we need Alaska or Hawaii, since Alaska should technically be a part of Canada and Hawaii is far away from the lower 48. But 50 is a good number. I don't see why we need to grow any larger than that unless in the unlikely event we have to go to war with China and have no U.N. support.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:23 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Puerto Rico likely I'd say. However, I think the United States doesn't need to get any bigger than it already is. If you ask me, I'm not even sure why we need Alaska or Hawaii, since Alaska should technically be a part of Canada and Hawaii is far away from the lower 48. But 50 is a good number. I don't see why we need to grow any larger than that unless in the unlikely event we have to go to war with China and have no U.N. support.

Alaska is useful for oil. I think Canada already has more land than they can handle plus we did buy Alaska from Russia.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:39 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Iraq. That's what I call it all the time now 'cause it's always first on the news after local crime.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:40 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Enjoyed most of your post, decafdave. Just want to point out that the U.S. already took northern Mexico -- 55 percent of Mexico's total land.
Quite true! AZ, NM and much of southern CA was "bought" at the point of a gun. Literally. At the treaty of Guadelupe, the signer for Mexico wouldn't sign until we convinced him with a gun to his temple that it was in his "best" interest.

The 52nd state from an oil perspective is not a bad idea! Apparently there are already futures contracts for the current year being written @ $200/barrel. Within a couple years, most commuters will be desperate to live close to the workplace.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:04 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
All these extraterritorial acquisition ideas are bad. I'm not just talking about Iraq. New Zealanders are often quite anti-American. Leave them alone to stew.

The Brits that want to be Americans are already here or are packing to come.

Nothing says that we can't work more closely with Australia and Japan and Poland. The best allies are not those with the most 'resources,' but those that WANT to be our friends.

I vote to preserve Canada as is, just to show what happens when you screw things up.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Quite true! AZ, NM and much of southern CA was "bought" at the point of a gun. Literally. At the treaty of Guadelupe, the signer for Mexico wouldn't sign until we convinced him with a gun to his temple that it was in his "best" interest.

The 52nd state from an oil perspective is not a bad idea! Apparently there are already futures contracts for the current year being written @ $200/barrel. Within a couple years, most commuters will be desperate to live close to the workplace.
And North America was "bought" at the firing of a gun. And after that, we "stole" 13 perfectly good colonies from the British Empire! Man, with such a horrible history why don't we all just go back to Europe-Asia-Africa etc.

People act like the U.S. is some kind of evil empire but if you compare it to any "empire" throughout history we are by far the nicest. Actually, I don't see how you can call the US an empire in the first place. Not in the conventional sense at least.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:39 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
And North America was "bought" at the firing of a gun. And after that, we "stole" 13 perfectly good colonies from the British Empire! Man, with such a horrible history why don't we all just go back to Europe-Asia-Africa etc.

People act like the U.S. is some kind of evil empire but if you compare it to any "empire" throughout history we are by far the nicest. Actually, I don't see how you can call the US an empire in the first place. Not in the conventional sense at least.
Would you like to be added onto the mailing list of the New Journal for Imperialist Studies? (You can always use another periodical.)

I'm not convinced that any of our presidential candidates can increase the power of the evil empire. They couldn't even recapture Cleveland if the Canadians invaded.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:43 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Default The Unites States of North, Central and South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post

Isn't it also true that when Mexico City fell, President Polk wanted to keep marching south -- to the tip of Cape Horn -- and take the entire continent for the U.S.? Incredible!

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on one's view) by the time Polk's directives reached Mexico City, the Treaty Guadalupe Hidalgo had already been signed, which stopped Polk's ambitions to "take it ALL from them because we can."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.