Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:19 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times

Advertisements

There are cities outside the "Bible Belt" that can give anywhere in the Bible Belt a run for its money. Colorado Springs comes quickly to mind.

Here is my list:

Not only Austin, but the rest of Central Texas. San Antonio is largely hispanic and Catholic, and even the small towns between and around those two cities have people that are descended from German and Czech immigrants that came after the civil war and I don't think identify with standard "southern" culture very strongly. Anywhere south of SA is also largely hispanic and Catholic.

Obviously southern Louisiana. Maybe even to some extent other spots throughout the Mississippi delta? Its so heavily African American, and Black churches are a little culturally different from other southern churches maybe?" Maybe I'm just going off the colorful, vibrant music and service. Forgive me if I stereotype.

Asheville, NC and probably other college towns in NC.

A lot of Virginia I think is pretty watered down I would think, as a good chunk of the population is part of the DC area, and many people who grew up there have moved all over the state maybe.

Metro Atlanta. I tend to think of Atlanta as being a little less "Bible Belt" than Dallas or Houston, despite all three being large international southern cities. I think of metro Atlanta as having been more transformed by northerners.

Central and Southern Florida probably don't count as "the South or the Bible Belt" it was a sparsely inhabited frontier until "yankees" transformed it to resort and retirement destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 06:35 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
You could definitely call Tulsa a Bible Belt Buckle (Oral Roberts).

You could probably call Lynchburg, Virginia a Bible Belt Buckle due to Jerry Falwell/Liberty University, although it's no secret many transplants have populated Virginia over the years (although probably not as much for Lynchburg).

Nashville, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and Charlotte are probably the big three. However, as we've pointed out, these areas are rapidly changing through growth and transplants.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There are some oddities in that list. it combines some cites that aren't in the same MSA or CSA.
The most glaring is how it combines Asheville, NC with Greenville & Spartanburg SC. I don't know how you can ever consider these to be the same area.
Similarly, it combines Fayetteville with Raleigh-Durham. The Triangle is all about higher ed., tech and biotech while Fayetteville is a military town.
I could see that a little, but it's definitely a stretch and a big generalization. Fayetteville isn't terribly far from the Triangle, and WRAL covers Fayetteville, too. Asheville isn't too far from the SC Upstate, also. However, I know what you mean.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:58 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
You could definitely call Tulsa a Bible Belt Buckle (Oral Roberts).

You could probably call Lynchburg, Virginia a Bible Belt Buckle due to Jerry Falwell/Liberty University, although it's no secret many transplants have populated Virginia over the years (although probably not as much for Lynchburg).

Nashville, Dallas/Ft. Worth, and Charlotte are probably the big three. However, as we've pointed out, these areas are rapidly changing through growth and transplants.
Dallas is less Bible Belt than Charlotte or Nashville. Fort Worth is probably on the same level as Nashville. Dallas Catholics outnumber Southern Baptists by a good margin.

Also Dallas/Fort Worth and Atlanta have almost the exact same concentration of Evangelical groups. Houston, statistically, is the least Bible Belt of the three but not by a significant margin. Atlanta may be more influenced by the north, but DFW and Houston are more influenced by California and the West Coast.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Dallas is less Bible Belt than Charlotte or Nashville. Fort Worth is probably on the same level as Nashville. Dallas Catholics outnumber Southern Baptists by a good margin.

Also Dallas/Fort Worth and Atlanta have almost the exact same concentration of Evangelical groups. Houston, statistically, is the least Bible Belt of the three but not by a significant margin. Atlanta may be more influenced by the north, but DFW and Houston are more influenced by California and the West Coast.
If Atlanta is influenced by the north, might as well count Charlotte to a lesser extent (barely). However, if we're talking about which cites were true Bible Belt Buckles in the past, definitely Nashville, Charlotte, and Dallas/Ft. Worth (I guess Ft. Worth more so). Those have to be the big three.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Atlanta and Austin are the two most liberal cities in the South. Both scored perfect 100 on the Municipal Equality scale.

MEI 2014: See Your City

Also this shows which are the most liberal and conservative cities:
Chart of the Week: The most liberal and conservative big cities | Pew Research Center

Austin would be the most liberal followed by Atlanta.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:11 AM

620 posts, read 1,232,757 times
Springfield Missouri is my idea as the buckle of the Bible Belt. Large baptist and pentecostal church following and small catholic population for a city it's size. There are more members of the Assembly of God church than Catholic Church. It is the national headquarters for the Assembly of God church. Also a couple bible colleges...baptist and pentecostal. Very socially conservative for the size of the city as well. Springfield and Tulsa are very similar in lots of aspects.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:48 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Quote:
Though Catholics have an even BIGGER bible than Protestants - LOL!
73 books.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
If Atlanta is influenced by the north, might as well count Charlotte to a lesser extent (barely). However, if we're talking about which cites were true Bible Belt Buckles in the past, definitely Nashville, Charlotte, and Dallas/Ft. Worth (I guess Ft. Worth more so). Those have to be the big three.
The past does not matter. What matters is 2015. In 2015, Dallas is not a buckle on the Bible Belt. Dallas is far more Catholic and religiously diverse than Charlotte or Nashville. The city of Dallas also voted by over 70% to alter the city charter to allow protection for LGBT people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Atlanta and Austin are the two most liberal cities in the South. Both scored perfect 100 on the Municipal Equality scale.

MEI 2014: See Your City

Also this shows which are the most liberal and conservative cities:
Chart of the Week: The most liberal and conservative big cities | Pew Research Center

Austin would be the most liberal followed by Atlanta.
Atlanta definitely deserves its credit. Like Dallas, its not a buckle on the Bible Belt. DFW and Atlanta have roughly the same percentage Evangelical Christian adherents. The suburbs of both must be taken into account. Like Dallas, Atlanta is a liberal city surrounded by conservative suburbs.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:33 AM

Look at the first map in the link below:

Religion in America’s states and counties, in 6 maps - The Washington Post

Notice there are three counties North Texas that are blue (blue represents catholic in that map). Those are Dallas, Collin, and Cooke. Those three blue counties are in a endless (or what seems endless) sea of red (which represents Evangelical Southern Baptist). In Georgia, you see one green county (which represents mainline Methodist) and one blue. Those are Fulton and Clayton respectively.

Austin and Houston are on the edge of the Bible Belt geographically, so they can't really be considered holes. DFW and Atlanta are in the middle of the Bible Belt geographically.

If the three North Texas counties don't classify as a "hole", I don't know what does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.