Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times

Advertisements

Many states offer lottery-based college scholarships high-school graduating seniors. As mentioned, the HOPE scholarship in Georgia is one. New Mexico probably has the most generous program. It offers one to all their graduating seniors, which they can keep provided they maintain a 2.5 GPA. Notably, New Mexico's program has no preconditions of test scores, GPAs, or parental income -- it only requires that you graduate from high school in New Mexico and then enroll in a New Mexico college or university the following fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
The Georgia Lottery also funds free Pre-K and funds non-traditional applicants that did not graduate in Georgia.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:31 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Maine has cheap tuition (which is why I went to school there) at their state university system.

It cost me less to go to Maine as an out of stater than it would have for me to go to the UMass system as a resident. Maine residents are even cheaper... we ended up using vacation property as my address and I got tuition for about $3,000 per semester for 15 credits.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:14 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
New York's instate tuition is one of the cheapest on the east coast, however the school's aren't nearly as good as what they have in California (UCLA, Berkely).

The best in NY state are probably Binghampton and Geneseo.
Probably because we so many private schools that fit that bill throughout the state. Also, Binghamton and Buffalo aren't bad either. Same for Geneseo and Oswego either.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:18 PM

I believe North Carolina and Texas are pretty affordable too, but don't quote me on that. Here's NC rates:North Carolina College Costs (http://www.soicc.state.nc.us/SOICC/planning/c2c.htm#PUB4 - broken link)

Old 12-29-2008, 06:23 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Florida is incredibly cheap.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,091 times
Hi,
I am a california resident and I took classes in 2003 when they were $10 a unit, and we bitched and moaned then.. I transferred to uc berkeley where 4 years cost me $24,000 which was the equivalant to ONE summer at COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, where I am currently. I have always been in the habit of taking courses at the community college for learning sake, I took over 120 units at california community colleges, I never paid a cent since we have BOG fee waivers. So now i'm on the east coast, where the community college unit can go up to $300 per unit if you are out of state, they even have out of county fees at $200 or in county $100. This is ridiculous if you are just trying to take an art appreciation class. I never knew how good I had it in the west coast, as far as being educated goes. I took calculus, chemistry classes on the whim.. I wanted to finish pre-med course work out here, unless i get TAP, a ny resident fee aid, there is no way I can take a language or physics class. Trust me.. move to california, besides they have better food, burritos are cheap and plentiful, weather is gorgeous, and rent is cheaper, people are nicer. The grass is not greener on the other side, I will be a slave to the US dept. of education for my time in grad school on the E. Coast. Can't wait to move back once my sentence is over.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaangel View Post
Hi,
I am a california resident and I took classes in 2003 when they were $10 a unit, and we bitched and moaned then.. I transferred to uc berkeley where 4 years cost me $24,000 which was the equivalant to ONE summer at COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, where I am currently. I have always been in the habit of taking courses at the community college for learning sake, I took over 120 units at california community colleges, I never paid a cent since we have BOG fee waivers. So now i'm on the east coast, where the community college unit can go up to $300 per unit if you are out of state, they even have out of county fees at $200 or in county $100. This is ridiculous if you are just trying to take an art appreciation class. I never knew how good I had it in the west coast, as far as being educated goes. I took calculus, chemistry classes on the whim.. I wanted to finish pre-med course work out here, unless i get TAP, a ny resident fee aid, there is no way I can take a language or physics class. Trust me.. move to california, besides they have better food, burritos are cheap and plentiful, weather is gorgeous, and rent is cheaper, people are nicer. The grass is not greener on the other side, I will be a slave to the US dept. of education for my time in grad school on the E. Coast. Can't wait to move back once my sentence is over.
You should have checked out some of the state schools in NY outside of NYC. I would think that one of them would have the program you are in and for a more affordable price. You might even have some private schools in other parts of the state that are more affordable.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:33 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Not trying to be the "Downer Channel" here, but I'm of the belief that cheaper rates usually equates to a crowded classroom and longer waits for things like tutoring and such.
It might be less crowded at higher level classes, but when you're stuck in remediation hell, sometimes it's better to pay the premium to get yourself better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.