Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city has the worst overall weather in the U.S.
Seattle 31 8.42%
San Francisco 10 2.72%
San Diego 7 1.90%
Minneapolis 102 27.72%
Oklahoma City 50 13.59%
Houston 72 19.57%
Phoenix 54 14.67%
Other major city in the continuous U.S. 42 11.41%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 02:37 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOntarioLiving View Post
Syracuse, Buffalo and Cleveland are the worst. Atleast Seattle is a pretty city that makes you forget about the bad weather.
Oh no! Buffalo & Syracuse are two of my favorite weather cities I also love my current location and Cleveland is pretty good, too.

I could live with Seattle, too. It would bore me in the winter but at least it doesn't get HOT.

What are your favorite weather cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 02:50 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
Minneapolis for sure.

I worry about all those millions of tons of salt (and toxic chemicals) that are dumped almost year around in Minneapolis to de-ice roads and parking lots. Salt kills plants and vegetation and renders the place toxic.
7,770 lakes around the state are experiencing elevated chloride concentrations, likely due to road salt runoff.

I really, really, really dislike snow that stays on the ground more than a few days. I have to vote Minneapolis even if I do like the city, just not its climate. I've lived in colder climates that were similar to that of MN.

I've lived in humid subtropical climates as well and am not very fond of that either for summer. But at least one can stay in AC to avoid the heat. With the snow, that's obviously harder to do in day to day living. If you must go somewhere, you deal with the snow. If you maintain a house, you deal with moving snow. Nope.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:59 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOntarioLiving View Post
Syracuse, Buffalo and Cleveland are the worst. Atleast Seattle is a pretty city that makes you forget about the bad weather.
I agree. It can snow in Syracuse in early May. The Lake Effect is unreal, two or three times a week forever! And, grey skies, really white skies, LOL, for months and months... Some Native Americans that settled there! They should have kept going...

Old 07-01-2018, 05:12 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,283 times
I would have to go with Houston as far as cities on this list are concerned. Houston is extremely flood-prone due to its topography and the misuse of the land. It is also prone to Hurricanes (something that the other cities on this aren't) and really heavy precipitation events. Of course, the heat and humidity combo is pretty nasty as well. Houston and Oklahoma City are the main two cities on this list where it is highly publicized that the weather can kill and destroy property on a widespread level. The other cities on this list can get windstorms, tornadoes (even the Seattle area has had an EF/F-3 in its history), and blizzards and other potentially deadly hazards but not with quite the ferocious frequency as the flooding/tornado threat is in OKC or the hurricane/flooding threat in Houston.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:30 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
I would have to go with Houston as far as cities on this list are concerned. Houston is extremely flood-prone due to its topography and the misuse of the land.
-Picks Houston for worst weather
-Cites factors for the decision that are unrelated to weather.

LMFAO.

Last edited by Texyn; 07-01-2018 at 05:45 PM..

Old 07-01-2018, 06:24 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post

LMFAO.
That is related to the weather. Building subdivisions and shopping centers on land that was once a bayou or water drainage area have increased the flooding risk in that area. You remove areas that store water and replace it with impervious surfaces that increase runoff. That factor along with the risk of tropical systems and even your more typical heavy rain events, in general, leads to a very high-flood-risk.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:29 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
I would have to go with Houston as far as cities on this list are concerned. Houston is extremely flood-prone due to its topography and the misuse of the land. It is also prone to Hurricanes (something that the other cities on this aren't) and really heavy precipitation events. Of course, the heat and humidity combo is pretty nasty as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post

LMFAO.
There fixed it for you. Just kept -- fivenine's second sentence. That answered the WEATHER related reason for the vote. As you say .... the floods, hurricanes added to heat and humidity spring thru fall, could be called .... events related to thunderstorms and seasonal to random occurrences. So you singled out a comment on Houston's topography (could have added drainage issues) that worsens severity in heavy rain events and also Houston's failure of not preventing development in the flood-plain areas from developers also, as land better left undeveloped.

Hopefully in the last few years ..... all these the 50, 100, 500 year flooding and storm events are all out of the way for while for Texas and Houston. Seems each one is one of these .... once in a lifetime blamed occurrence.

If you can vote Minneapolis because of snow and cold. Houston can be for the list quoted too in fivenine's post above. Maybe you voted Minneapolis for other weather events too.....

Old 07-01-2018, 06:37 PM

58 posts, read 54,905 times
Houston. Any city with high humidity has bad weather in my book.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:17 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposedData View Post
Houston. Any city with high humidity has bad weather in my book.
Yes, although Phoenix is pretty awful, too.

Minneapolis is just fine, to me.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:47 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
There fixed it for you. Just kept -- fivenine's second sentence. That answered the WEATHER related reason for the vote. As you say .... the floods, hurricanes added to heat and humidity spring thru fall, could be called .... events related to thunderstorms and seasonal to random occurrences. So you singled out a comment on Houston's topography (could have added drainage issues) that worsens severity in heavy rain events and also Houston's failure of not preventing development in the flood-plain areas from developers also, as land better left undeveloped.

Hopefully in the last few years ..... all these the 50, 100, 500 year flooding and storm events are all out of the way for while for Texas and Houston. Seems each one is one of these .... once in a lifetime blamed occurrence.

If you can vote Minneapolis because of snow and cold. Houston can be for the list quoted too in fivenine's post above. Maybe you voted Minneapolis for other weather events too.....
You are way too nosy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.