Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 03:06 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
PA may be conservative but not on the same level. parts of the Deep South voted over 95 percent Rebublican during the last couple of presidential elections. The most conservative precincts in PA only got to the lower 80s for the Republicans. As for social conservatism, it does not get more so than South Georgia, rural parts of Mississippi, and the Texas panhandle. Here are a few examples:

From a member of US Election Atlas Forum: 2012 White Obama Lovers Map by County Project; TX 2nd Revision!

From Vetrans Today: Religion-in-the-US-Evangelical-Protestant-Rates-of-Adherence-County-Map | Veterans Today

Also from US Election Atlas: Same-sex marriage map by county/state
Don't see any areas of PA being quite that extreme.
If you want to split states into highly conservative areas, there are a few in PA that would fit that bill. The South is just like any other region...it may have more conservative areas than the Northeast, but there are still highly liberal areas as well. Even in the majority conservative areas you will often find that they are only 50-60% conservative, so that leaves a large chunk as non-conservative.

Yes, many liberals are happy living in the South. I am liberal and I don't demand that everyone around me agree with my views, as that is not a tolerant existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 08:25 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,769 times
I don't deny that liberal areas exist. I'm just saying that places like Southeast Georgia (Jeff Davis County, Appling County, Pierce County) are on a whole other level than most anywhere else outside of say rural Mississippi and the TX panhandle. Heck several counties like Toombs and Montgomery were still holding separate proms for black and white students up until just a few years ago. If anything it shows just how extreme the differences between the more rural areas and urban areas of the state are.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I don't deny that liberal areas exist. I'm just saying that places like Southeast Georgia (Jeff Davis County, Appling County, Pierce County) are on a whole other level than most anywhere else outside of say rural Mississippi and the TX panhandle. Heck several counties like Toombs and Montgomery were still holding separate proms for black and white students up until just a few years ago. If anything it shows just how extreme the differences between the more rural areas and urban areas of the state are.
Not really...those kinds of places exist all over the US. People don't tend to be overly familiar with them because of what they are, but they certainly aren't unique to GA, TX, or MS. Rural, conservative backwaters are pretty common if you really look into it.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
The religious right kooks need to get a grip but overall they don't represent the vast majority of the South.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
And Texas
And the rest of the world

Old 06-28-2015, 06:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Well, yeah...yeah. County clerks all over the state of Texas began issuing marriage licenses to gay couples Friday. Read your own source.

Quote:
...county clerks in Texas began issuing marriage licenses to gay couples on Friday.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:50 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I live in a city of 100,000 on the fringe of Tampa, Orlando is about 45 min east of me. So a very populated area of people from all over. Yet there is a large population of people that have been here for generations. It is very nice here but the extreme of conservatism, is not something I can say is appealing to me about the area. I was fully aware though of this personality trait, of the area before moving here. So it is not something that overwhelmed me. I chose it because it fit my needs for affordability in retirement. Though I can't say I'm finding it quite as cheap as I thought it would be.

With that said. I can't seem to find a social circle of people here at all. I am not a church person at all, and frankly have no interest in religions. It is very family oriented here and church is such and extreme part of life here, that I feel out of place many days. There is a sandwich restaurant in the area I go to now and then. It would seem by clientele, it would not have that conservative vibe of people to it. Yet almost every time I go there, and when I'm alone and speak the slightest small talk to someone seated near be. Then I will most likely receive a brochure for a church as they leave, or during that small few words. I am starting to feel annoyed by this as it is all to frequent. Just goes to show why I said I'm not finding a social circle here. There are so many churches in the area, it is no wonder this goes on. I know they mean well but its really to much, and becomes uncomfortable when trying to meet people. Though I think a younger person would have an easier time here meeting people, vs a older person. Simple because the older are the most conservative and there are plenty of them here.

So you have to pick where you live in the Southeast very carefully. However I don't think you can really get away from the deep religious routes in the region. It is very much apart of the culture, no matter how big and dynamic the city may be you relocate to.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:04 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't think you can really get away from the deep religious routes in the region. It is very much apart of the culture, no matter how big and dynamic the city may be you relocate to.
This definitely holds true with Charlotte. In a lot of ways it's more of a northern feeling city now, but just try to drive in the gridlock church going traffic on Sunday.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
This definitely holds true with Charlotte. In a lot of ways it's more of a northern feeling city now, but just try to drive in the gridlock church going traffic on Sunday.
But it's easy to ignore the church culture...people all around me go to church and it doesn't bother or influence my life one iota. I don't know why so many people say it bothers them or they can't get away from it. It hasn't bothered me AT ALL, not ever. If someone asks me about church I just say I don't go and that is that. Period.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:08 AM

749 posts, read 1,316,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Huh? Sunday is probably the best day to get out and enjoy yourself with the light traffic. I-77 on Monday at 8am is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.